“Curry for breakfast! Wonderful”
Review of Hilton Durban

Hilton Durban
Ranked #3 of 43 Hotels in Durban
Reviewed 21 June 2013

I stayed for the Comrades Marathon in June 2013. My room had a beautiful view of the ocean, which delighted me every morning with a magnificent sunrise. The room was large, comfortable and spotless. Bed was great. Right opposite the Comrades expo and very close to the start line. All the international runners stayed there, which made for a fantastic atmosphere.

Breakfast - a real highlight of each day! For a curry-phile like myself this was the best breakfast I have ever experienced in my trips around the world. Variety included broadbean curry and rotis, eggs any way, cereals and fruit, numerous european bread options, pastries and muffins, cheese/meats/salmon. They even had wheatgrass powder and seeds/dried fruit for us healthies. Dining room was comfortable and pleasant. Curry for breakfast every day was amazing.

Security is still a concern in Durban, but I felt safe in the hotel.

The hotel even accepted two deliveries for me from health food shops, which (after a few times asking) were delivered to my room.

The day before the race, a complimentary platter or sports drink, food bar and a motivational note were delivered to the room. What a fantastic touch for us Comrades runners.

Overall, I was extremely satisfied with this hotel and will stay next year.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor room facing the ocean!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
HiltonDurban, Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2013

Dear Comrades Runner, thank you for your great reviews about your stay at our hotel over the comrades period. It is always great hosting all the runners and yes you are correct in saying the atmosphere is amazing. Thank you once again and looking forward to welcoming you back next Comrades.

Roshini Naidoo
Guest Relatiosn Manager

Reviewed 20 June 2013

This is an excellent hotel. Close to the beach. Very friendly, helpful and attentive staff. Food was amazing and it's a very safe base of operations. Hotel concierge was amazing helping us find things to do, keeping us safe and helping with even the smallest things like an emergency sewing repair.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
HiltonDurban, General Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2013

ColleenV, Thank you for your wonderful comments

. I will definately pass on your comments to the Team.

Thanks again and looking forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Durban soon.

Reviewed 20 June 2013

I stayed at the Durban Hilton the youth day long weekend to attend the Top Gear Festival. I travelled with a group of friends in 2 rooms under my name. The reception staff at check-in and check-out were courteous and friendly, 5star service all the way. The breakfast was great, top quality food, the cooks and the waitresses were top notch. The rooms are spacious and well appointed, very comfortable indeed. The AC unit in the room didn't seem to work, no matter the set temperature, I always got a cool breeze.
My one gripe with the hotel was the night manager and the hotel security at night. I felt unduly profiled by my age/attire by these individuals and for this reason I will not be in a hurry to use the hotel again on my next visit to Durban.

Room Tip: I stayed on the 12th floor, no traffic or A/C noises, the rooms are well insulated from noises in th...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends

Dear TreasureK, thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us over the Top Gear weekend. The hotel was full over this period and I am glad you enjoyed it.

Please be advised we will look into your comments about the Night Manager and Security.

Thank you once again for your comments.

Reviewed 18 June 2013

I have been using Hilton Hotel in Durban for a number of years and have been exceedingly impressed by the level of professionalism displayed by all the staff at the hotel in making me feel welcome. it is truly my home away from home.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
HiltonDurban, General Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2013

Dear Valued Diamond Member, firstly thank you for taking the time to post a review. It is great to hear we can consistently meet and exceed your expectations, and its always great welcoming you back home.

Reviewed 17 June 2013

The hotel was great, however the rooms need to be redecorated, as the furniture and decor is a but outdated and boring. The food was very good, although if you are eating breakfast in the Executive Lounge you are required to wait 15 - 20 minutes for your eggs, as the waiter has to travel downstairs to collect the eggs.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
HiltonDurban, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2013

Alain D, thank you so much for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor. It s is always nice to receive feedback.

It is great to hear you liked the hotel and you found the food good, I will definitely pass on your comments to our chef.

Thank you once again and looking forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Durban soon.

Reviewed 17 June 2013

rooms should have at least a small fridgerators,because sometimes we come with our refreshments from our meetings and there is no place where we can place our drinks to be at least cooler.everything is good except for the refridgerstors.smaller once without deep freezer can be perfact

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Tshepo M, it is always good receiving feedback and I thank you.

We do have minibar fridges in the room, should guests wish to store their own personal items or if they would like the minibar stocked.

Both these are on request, however the next time you over at the hotel please let us know so we can have your minibar opened for you.

Reviewed 13 June 2013

My latest visit was acceptable however a few pointers....

1. Consistency is key - housekeeping is erratic somedays you receive toiletries etc and somedays the old containers get left in your room etc.
2. Room service needs to pay attention to detail - if a guest requests a specific item and it is agreed to at the time of order then the item should be delivered. (extra bread rolls, extra chilli etc)
3. It is still sad that in 2013 hotels still charge ridiculous prices for wifi but hopefully with time that will change.

4. Despite the room advertising bath robes and a mini bar, the bath robes were non existent and the mini bar section LOCKED. Not acceptable. If you advertise a mini bar, make sure it is stocked and available to the guest on check in.

5. Hiltons loyalty programme really needs an overhaul that at least gives the impression that patronage to the brand is recognized. Despite having been loyal to the brand for a decade plus my membership is still stuck on blue as a result of booking accommodation through third party sites and despite me bringing in more than 10K conferencing business for 90 MINUTES during the upcoming AIDS Conference. It gives the impression that getting to Diamond is like pulling teeth at this hotel chain.

6. A consistent complaint is the drainage of the showers that spill over into the main bathroom area. Surely it could be ensured that housekeeping have the tools to make sure that the drain is clean running after each check out?

All in all decent service, great reception staff, property still in need of a forever promised upgrade and refurb but home away from home all the same. I'm returning for 7 nights in June for the AIDS Conference and look forward to an improved, recognised stay in a King Hilton (the room refereed to in my review was a King Hilton Deluxe)

Room Tip: Corner higher up rooms are best.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Dear Valued Guest, thank you for your constructive feedback.

I am sorry to hear that we have not met your expectations during your stay with us. Your comments have been addressed with The Executive Housekeeper and Food and Beverage Manager.

Please can you ask for me during your stay at the hotel during the AIDS Conference, so I can ensure all your requirements are met. Thank you once again for your comments

Roshini Naidoo