“Great weekend”
Review of Hilton Durban

Hilton Durban
Ranked #3 of 45 Hotels in Durban
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Stayed a couple of nights in Durban with the family and friends. hotel was great, staff very attentive and everything worked. Stayed on the executive floor. lounge was excellent, nice spread for breakfast and afternoon snacks.

The rooms are very comfortable. just two areas that i think need to be looked at. the lighting in the rooms, but more so the bathrooms, is very poor and needs to be looked at. the rooms are also a little tired. whilst they may not need a full refurbishment a good coat of paint, pictures, flowers etc will help - they just need a little refreshing.

We did not eat in the restaurants but did order room service. room service was attentive and the food did arrive at the prescribed time mentioned by the person we ordered with. Food quality was good.

The bar downstairs needs some refurbishment. saying that the service was very good and the bar had a good selection. unfortunately the bar was not well frequented when i visited and was therefore quite cold.

All in all we had a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
JulieNolan13, Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2013

Dear youchoose312578
Thank you for sending in your review and constructive feedback. I will surely pass your comments onto our Maintenance Manager, Operations Manager and Food & Beverage Operations Manager so that they can recitfy and will also share with the team members your kind comments about our service and quality of food. Looking forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Durban soon.
Kind regards

Write a ReviewReviews (1,573)

Reviewed 6 September 2013

The Durban Hilton is one of those hotels which, while far from bad, needs to re-think some of its guest facilities. It has a distinctly 1980s feel to the place. On complaining about my basic room I was upgraded (for 5 nights) and would describe my room as perfectly reasonable 4-star, yet compared to some of the rooms on offer in Cape Town it was dated and not 5-star. The bathrooms in particular need huge re-vamping and reminded me of a 3-star USA Mid-Western hotel. Personally my biggest disappointment was the food; the restaurant has a tangy left-over curry smell which is hardly surprising as local Durban cuisine is strongly Indian influenced. Nothing wrong in that if you love spicy food - but I don`t - and would have preferred some eating place in the hotel that highlighted the best of South African (or even local seafood) cuisine. Breakfast was so awful I had it only once. The upside of the hotel was a courteous staff; I particularly salute the 2 concierges who were magnificent (I landed with a raging toothache and they took great trouble to find me a dentist and see I was okay). Both deserve promotion !

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
JulieNolan13, Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2013

Dear frankthring2003
Thank you very much for choosing to stay at Hilton Durban and for taking the time to send in your review. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards. It is always good to receive constructive feedback and I thank you, on behalf of my Team. Rest assured that each of your points will be addressed to the relevant managers. We place great value on your custom, and your continued relationship with Hilton.

Reviewed 4 September 2013

Only stayed one night, check in very efficient at a busy time. Rooms of a high standard, great nights sleep. Had dinner and breakfast in hotel - both excellent both in quality and value. Booked airport taxi and was able to pay in hotel via card saving last few rand for airport.

• Stayed: August 2013
JulieNolan13, Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

Dear flyingawaay
Thank you for making time to send in your review – it is greatly appreciated and are delighted to hear that you had a wonderful experience and was able to experience all the various facilities we have on offer, our high standard and professionalism at the Front Desk, preferred taxis operating from our hotel and our fantastic dinner and breakfast buffets. Looking forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Durban soon.

Reviewed 2 September 2013

The staff were extremely friendly. The location of the hotel was superb as the walking distance to the Durban International Conference Centre was easy. The breakfast served was good and the variety of food was good. The executive check out was very quick and easy on the 14th floor.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
JulieNolan13, Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2013

Dear John W, thank you so much for sending in your great review. yes we have a perfect position next to the Durban ICC and we pride ourselves for our scrumptious breakfast buffet. Will also surely pass your message on to the Executive Lounge team for their fast and efficient check-out. Look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 1 September 2013

It was good experience and the hotel met my expectations with regard to professionalism and good service as required by five star hotel. I will surely visit the hotel again and will refer some potential guests

1  Thank Mpumi P

Dear Mpumi P, thank you for sending in your fantastic review it is greatly appreciated. I will surely pass on your comments to the team for their recognition. Look forward to welcoming you back and your colleagues in the near future.

Reviewed 29 August 2013

I loved every minute of my stay at the Hilton Durban. They noticed I had my young five year old son accompany me and my mom and they sent him a complimentary coloring book and crayons.That was very thoughtful. On our third day it was my mom's birthday and on our return from the celebration lunch booked elsewhere we found a complimentary cake and drinks in our room beautifully laid out. The staff at the lobby were very friendly, always smiling. Our room was clean throughout our stay. My mom's birthday was made to be that extra special because we chose to stay at the Hilton. Why I did not give them the whole five star rating was because Wi-fi was not complementary, and parking was also not free for guests. These services are part of the standard package of even the average hotel. I hope this will change soon. Also their location is not ideal for the strict holiday traveler as it is too far from the beach front. The business executive in me loved the proximity to the Convention Center though.

Room Tip: Excellent for the business traveler but too far from the beach front for the holiday maker.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
JulieNolan13, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2013

Dear Nomusa Mhlanga, thank you for your time in sending in your tripadvisor review and for your kind comments regarding the friendliness of our team members. I will ensure that your suggestion in packaging parking and Wi-Fi into the rates is passed onto our Operations Manager. Looking forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Durban in the near future.

Reviewed 29 August 2013

During our recent stay in Durban we moved from one hotel to the other, I accompanied my wife to a conference, her department opted to let us stay at a Durban Beachfront hotel for 3 nights, then we decided to go for a one night only @ the Durban Hilton next to the ICC. from the moment we stepped into the foyer untill we left the next day it was total bliss, the reception staff, bellmaster, auxillary staff was the best we have come accross for a long time, our stay was even more pleasant when we walked into a room that smell like Spring has started a few days earlier, crispy white linen/towels with all amenities awaits you, when you call the room services the responce was prompt and efficient, I can only mentioned good things about them, I can assure if you stay anywhere else you will waste your money.

1  Thank Envor H
JulieNolan13, Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2013

Dear Envor H, thank you so much for taking the time to send us your fantastic review, its greatly appreciated. I will ensure your comments are passed onto the senior team for our team members recognition of their outstanding service. Looking forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Durban soon.

Kind regards