“Somewhat good” 3 of 5 bubbles

Hilton Durban
Ranked #3 of 41 Hotels in Durban
“Somewhat good”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

This was my first stay at the Hilton, which surprised me after all my travels and almost immediately upon arrival I though I was going to regret booking my accommodation so late. It is very frustrating in South Africa to arrive at reception and be told you have to pay extra for parking your car.... and extra for internet. I understand that hotels are a business, but business in a hospitality industry should know better... especially for guests. Complete frustration was quickly averted when the charming receptionist spoke to the manager and arranged for complimentary parking, though I did not come right with free internet....
The room was great, everything worked , and this is a personal favourite, my shower had temperature control, so I could choose my ideal setting. The gym needs some TLC, only one of the treadmills TV's worked, but otherwise everything else worked well.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
JulieNolan13, Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
Dear Bodagarde
Thank you for your time in sending us review and we greatly appreciate any feedback from our guests. I do sincerely apologise that on your first stay with us we did not meet your expectations. Please note that I will address your comments with our Front Office and Operations Manager to ensure remedial action is taken and hope that we can welcome you back to Hilton Durban soon.
Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

Stayed a couple of nights in Durban with the family and friends. hotel was great, staff very attentive and everything worked. Stayed on the executive floor. lounge was excellent, nice spread for breakfast and afternoon snacks.

The rooms are very comfortable. just two areas that i think need to be looked at. the lighting in the rooms, but more so the bathrooms, is very poor and needs to be looked at. the rooms are also a little tired. whilst they may not need a full refurbishment a good coat of paint, pictures, flowers etc will help - they just need a little refreshing.

We did not eat in the restaurants but did order room service. room service was attentive and the food did arrive at the prescribed time mentioned by the person we ordered with. Food quality was good.

The bar downstairs needs some refurbishment. saying that the service was very good and the bar had a good selection. unfortunately the bar was not well frequented when i visited and was therefore quite cold.

All in all we had a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Dear youchoose312578
Thank you for sending in your review and constructive feedback. I will surely pass your comments onto our Maintenance Manager, Operations Manager and Food & Beverage Operations Manager so that they can recitfy and will also share with the team members your kind comments about our service and quality of food. Looking forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Durban soon.
Kind regards
budapest
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2013

The Durban Hilton is one of those hotels which, while far from bad, needs to re-think some of its guest facilities. It has a distinctly 1980s feel to the place. On complaining about my basic room I was upgraded (for 5 nights) and would describe my room as perfectly reasonable 4-star, yet compared to some of the rooms on offer in Cape Town it was dated and not 5-star. The bathrooms in particular need huge re-vamping and reminded me of a 3-star USA Mid-Western hotel. Personally my biggest disappointment was the food; the restaurant has a tangy left-over curry smell which is hardly surprising as local Durban cuisine is strongly Indian influenced. Nothing wrong in that if you love spicy food - but I don`t - and would have preferred some eating place in the hotel that highlighted the best of South African (or even local seafood) cuisine. Breakfast was so awful I had it only once. The upside of the hotel was a courteous staff; I particularly salute the 2 concierges who were magnificent (I landed with a raging toothache and they took great trouble to find me a dentist and see I was okay). Both deserve promotion !

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
JulieNolan13, Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
Dear frankthring2003
Thank you very much for choosing to stay at Hilton Durban and for taking the time to send in your review. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards. It is always good to receive constructive feedback and I thank you, on behalf of my Team. Rest assured that each of your points will be addressed to the relevant managers. We place great value on your custom, and your continued relationship with Hilton.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

Only stayed one night, check in very efficient at a busy time. Rooms of a high standard, great nights sleep. Had dinner and breakfast in hotel - both excellent both in quality and value. Booked airport taxi and was able to pay in hotel via card saving last few rand for airport.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
JulieNolan13, Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
Dear flyingawaay
Thank you for making time to send in your review – it is greatly appreciated and are delighted to hear that you had a wonderful experience and was able to experience all the various facilities we have on offer, our high standard and professionalism at the Front Desk, preferred taxis operating from our hotel and our fantastic dinner and breakfast buffets. Looking forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Durban soon.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

The staff were extremely friendly. The location of the hotel was superb as the walking distance to the Durban International Conference Centre was easy. The breakfast served was good and the variety of food was good. The executive check out was very quick and easy on the 14th floor.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

JulieNolan13, Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
Dear John W, thank you so much for sending in your great review. yes we have a perfect position next to the Durban ICC and we pride ourselves for our scrumptious breakfast buffet. Will also surely pass your message on to the Executive Lounge team for their fast and efficient check-out. Look forward to welcoming you back soon.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

It was good experience and the hotel met my expectations with regard to professionalism and good service as required by five star hotel. I will surely visit the hotel again and will refer some potential guests

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Mpumi P
Dear Mpumi P, thank you for sending in your fantastic review it is greatly appreciated. I will surely pass on your comments to the team for their recognition. Look forward to welcoming you back and your colleagues in the near future.
Harare, Zimbabwe
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

I loved every minute of my stay at the Hilton Durban. They noticed I had my young five year old son accompany me and my mom and they sent him a complimentary coloring book and crayons.That was very thoughtful. On our third day it was my mom's birthday and on our return from the celebration lunch booked elsewhere we found a complimentary cake and drinks in our room beautifully laid out. The staff at the lobby were very friendly, always smiling. Our room was clean throughout our stay. My mom's birthday was made to be that extra special because we chose to stay at the Hilton. Why I did not give them the whole five star rating was because Wi-fi was not complementary, and parking was also not free for guests. These services are part of the standard package of even the average hotel. I hope this will change soon. Also their location is not ideal for the strict holiday traveler as it is too far from the beach front. The business executive in me loved the proximity to the Convention Center though.

Room Tip: Excellent for the business traveler but too far from the beach front for the holiday maker.