“Cool Reception”
Review of Hilton Durban

Hilton Durban
Ranked #3 of 43 Hotels in Durban
Reviewed 17 September 2013

The hotel staff was very welcoming, cared to find out about my day and then they offered me a complimentary coffee as a cherry on top. The whole establishment is very clean and has a soothing ambience to it. I know some Spas that do not have this level of quietness and serene environment.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
HiltonDurban, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2013

Siyabonga N, its always great to receive comments that we were able to meet and exceed your expectations.

You comments will definately be shared with the team. Thank you once again.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Durban

Reviewed 16 September 2013

This hotel was wonderful value for money for a UK traveller. Very comfortable even in our 'least expensive' room. The reception staff were extremely attentive in both booking taxis and in checking that they were on their way.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Angela M, thank you for your 5 star rating.

We are delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay.

Thank you so much and looking forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Durban soon.

Reviewed 12 September 2013

The Hilton Durban Hotel is one of the very rare and unique hotels in South Africa. It makes you feel at home yet at the same time you feel like royalty. The pleasant staff and breath taking view makes your stay a memorable and unfogettable experiance. Thank you to The Hilton Durban Team for your phenomenal dedication!!!
my opinion is to stay on the executive floors if traveling with kids if you are a couple i strongly suggest the terace suite or the king executive suite the terace suite has a balcony overlooking the occean and the city.
the executive floor is awesome if there is something you dont fancy on the buffet no problem the hotel will order a meal of your choice from room service at no charge, now that is service!!!!!!

Room Tip: high floor executive rooms or terrace suite is a must to experience
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank ge0gi0
HiltonDurban, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2013

Dear Valued Guest, Thank you for a wonderful review.

We will definately pass on your comments to our team members, and we hope to continue making your stay feel like home away from home and at the same time royality.

Thank you once again and hope to see you in the near future.

Reviewed 10 September 2013

I had a brilliant stay last week at the Hilton Hotel Durban. The service was exceptional and after travelling abroad it was so refreshing to find Service at home that was better than World Class! Iris Francis CEO : SABC Foundation

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Iris F

Dear Iris Francis, thank you so much for taking to time to post a review on Trip advisor.

We are so happy to hear that you found our service exceptional, and better than World Class service. The next time you over at the hotel, please do let me know so I can ensure all your requirements are met.

Thank you once again and looking forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Durban soon.

Reviewed 9 September 2013

This was my first stay at the Hilton, which surprised me after all my travels and almost immediately upon arrival I though I was going to regret booking my accommodation so late. It is very frustrating in South Africa to arrive at reception and be told you have to pay extra for parking your car.... and extra for internet. I understand that hotels are a business, but business in a hospitality industry should know better... especially for guests. Complete frustration was quickly averted when the charming receptionist spoke to the manager and arranged for complimentary parking, though I did not come right with free internet....
The room was great, everything worked , and this is a personal favourite, my shower had temperature control, so I could choose my ideal setting. The gym needs some TLC, only one of the treadmills TV's worked, but otherwise everything else worked well.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
JulieNolan13, Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2013

Dear Bodagarde
Thank you for your time in sending us review and we greatly appreciate any feedback from our guests. I do sincerely apologise that on your first stay with us we did not meet your expectations. Please note that I will address your comments with our Front Office and Operations Manager to ensure remedial action is taken and hope that we can welcome you back to Hilton Durban soon.

Reviewed 9 September 2013

Stayed a couple of nights in Durban with the family and friends. hotel was great, staff very attentive and everything worked. Stayed on the executive floor. lounge was excellent, nice spread for breakfast and afternoon snacks.

The rooms are very comfortable. just two areas that i think need to be looked at. the lighting in the rooms, but more so the bathrooms, is very poor and needs to be looked at. the rooms are also a little tired. whilst they may not need a full refurbishment a good coat of paint, pictures, flowers etc will help - they just need a little refreshing.

We did not eat in the restaurants but did order room service. room service was attentive and the food did arrive at the prescribed time mentioned by the person we ordered with. Food quality was good.

The bar downstairs needs some refurbishment. saying that the service was very good and the bar had a good selection. unfortunately the bar was not well frequented when i visited and was therefore quite cold.

All in all we had a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Dear youchoose312578
Thank you for sending in your review and constructive feedback. I will surely pass your comments onto our Maintenance Manager, Operations Manager and Food & Beverage Operations Manager so that they can recitfy and will also share with the team members your kind comments about our service and quality of food. Looking forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Durban soon.

Reviewed 6 September 2013

The Durban Hilton is one of those hotels which, while far from bad, needs to re-think some of its guest facilities. It has a distinctly 1980s feel to the place. On complaining about my basic room I was upgraded (for 5 nights) and would describe my room as perfectly reasonable 4-star, yet compared to some of the rooms on offer in Cape Town it was dated and not 5-star. The bathrooms in particular need huge re-vamping and reminded me of a 3-star USA Mid-Western hotel. Personally my biggest disappointment was the food; the restaurant has a tangy left-over curry smell which is hardly surprising as local Durban cuisine is strongly Indian influenced. Nothing wrong in that if you love spicy food - but I don`t - and would have preferred some eating place in the hotel that highlighted the best of South African (or even local seafood) cuisine. Breakfast was so awful I had it only once. The upside of the hotel was a courteous staff; I particularly salute the 2 concierges who were magnificent (I landed with a raging toothache and they took great trouble to find me a dentist and see I was okay). Both deserve promotion !

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
JulieNolan13, Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2013

Dear frankthring2003
Thank you very much for choosing to stay at Hilton Durban and for taking the time to send in your review. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards. It is always good to receive constructive feedback and I thank you, on behalf of my Team. Rest assured that each of your points will be addressed to the relevant managers. We place great value on your custom, and your continued relationship with Hilton.
Kind Regards