Hilton Durban
US$47
  • Beachfront
US$53
1,615 results
All reviewsthe executive loungebusiness loungeconvention centerroom servicefive star hotelattending a conferenceexcellent servicebusiness tripcomrades marathonreception areaenjoyed my staysouth africaiccrainbowdoormaninternetsecurity
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Had an intense week long conference and the Hilton and its staff over achieved. Went out of their way to make it a success. Thanks! (rooms comfortable, but not extravagant - very traditional, older hotel). I was impressed by staff and professionalism, considering I stayed before and wasn't so blown away. Well done on the improvements!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
HiltonDurban, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Sassysista, thank you for taking the time to post a review on this website. We are glad to hear that we were able to meet your needs and you were able to see an improvement from your previous stay. Thank you once again and looking forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Durban soon.

Warm Regards

Reviewed 19 November 2013

This Hilton is seriously dated. I needed to be close to the Durban ICC (and doesn't get any closer that this). Given that this is traditionally a "business" hotel, there are a few things seriously lacking here. Firstly, let me say that the staff are friendly and efficient and I couldn't fault them in any way. I was on the 11th floor - which was apparently a smoking floor because the minute I stepped out of the lift I was overwhelmed by the smell of stale smoke. My room smelled awful and the whole hotel really needs a massive facelift. It is dated and dark, and just replacing the carpets would make a difference. But what really got me was the fact that you had to pay for Wi-fi. This is a business destination and it is not a cheap one! Thankfully, one of my colleagues had the presence of mind to bring a wireless modem/router and was also kind enough to switch rooms with me so I didn't have to endure the smell of smoke. The food was average for dinner and breakfast. Bottom line, given the choice, I won't be back unless there are some major improvements made.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear Valued Guest, thank you for your constructive feedback.

I sincerely apologise that we were unable to meet your expectations on this occasion. Your comments have been noted by our Operations Manager. Please be advised that we do provide internet in our public areas at the hotel. Thanking you once again for your comments.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

We upgraded to an executive room with breakfast and it was worthwhile. They serve a more limited breakfast though on the 14th floor exec suite but the food is so ordinary anyway, it really isn't worth bothering to join the crush downstairs.

The staff were great and would do anything to help.

The place is a bit of a dump. The wallpaper in our room was peeling off and the finishes were ordinary. We got really annoyed with the 8am visit by housekeeping wanting to take (but not replace) our towels.

There was not fridge in the room - but there was actually it was just locked up! still running but totally unaccessible.... really wierd. So we couldn't have cold water or fresh milk (they only provide UHT milk including for breakfast...yuk!)

Recommend staying there if you are attending an event a the ICC.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Helenmcd, thank you for your constructive feedback. I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion. We happy to hear that the staff were helpful. Please be advised that your comments with regards to the room has been passed onto our Operations Manager, Executive Housekeeper and Food and Beverage Manager. Thank you once again and looking forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Durban soon.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

Very convenient and clean hotel for my business trip. Room was large and clean with excellent facilities. Unfortunately I didn't have enough time to try out the leisure facilities. Would certainly use this hotel again on next trip to Durban

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Fergus V, thank you so much for your lovely response. We are glad to hear that you found our rooms nice, large and clean. It’s a pity that you did not get to use any of our other facilities and hopefully the next time you visit us you get to experience our other facilities.

Reviewed 15 November 2013

My second stay at this Hilton and after my last stay at another Hilton I said to myself never again and now I remember why. This hotel is ok and is fine but really for the money you pay and what you should expect I am sure you can find better elsewhere. We arrived at the hotel which is set back from the sea, not in a great area and ok for business but not for tourists. You can park underground with the lift upstairs to reception. Being a Hilton gold member I get told normally I can get upgraded to the exec floor but not this time, they are full so I get a larger room which is supposidly nicer. After checking in I enter and the room smells of smoke when it is a non-smoking room, so a trip down stairs again. Given another room of the same size, I go up and found wires that are uncovered, broken chair leg, draws that won't open, no bottles of water and a damp feel to the room but maybe expected because its Durban. The room was large but not bright and airy, it is worn but has been touched up, free interent for gold member and nothing special about this hotel at all. It has really aged since the time I was here two years ago. The a/c was ok but noisey and really didnt keep a good temperature in the room. next morning whilst getting ready for work housekeeping came to collect the towels, why???? I received a letter from the manager saying service is everything, any comments please let him know. I called to be told he is in a meeting and to phone back, is this service? No! I finally bump in to him in the reception area, I told him the issues which he thanks me kindly for letting him know and thats the last i hear, is this service, no! The gym is good and functional, and has a roof top pool which I didnt use. Two bars downstairs, one is lifeless, the other acts more like a bar/club with no one in it but the service was good. There is an outdoor patio area that looks on to another building an footpath. Breakfats is a usual buffet affair however food is average, service is just abive average by the main staff but seems to have too many managers standing around not relaly that interested! There are some small shops in the hotel but are not open late when you are in the hotel. Overall a worn Hilton hotel, needs to have better service, my Radison Blu experience in J'Burg beats this hotel hands down. try and find somewhere better.

Room Tip: a high floor facing the beach but try somewhere else.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
HiltonDurban, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Dear Valued Gold Member, thank you for your constructive feedback.

I am sincerely sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion.

Please be advised that your comments have been passed onto our Operations Manager, Front Office and Reservations Manager and Maintenance Manager and remedial action will be taken.
The next time you visit our hotel, please inform me in advance so I can ensure all your requirements are met. Thank you once again and looking forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Durban soon.