“does not live upto the name”
Review of Hilton Durban

Hilton Durban
Ranked #3 of 43 Hotels in Durban
Reviewed 5 February 2014

stayed in may Hilton hotels.hilton Durban is fair .the rooms seem to need a refurbishment.breakfast was good all else was goos the rooms jus don't live up to Hilton expectations.better hotels on the beachfront to stay at .

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
MarkusMFritz, General Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to complete your TripAdvisor review. I do sincerely apologise that your stay did not exceed your expectations however would like to take this opportunity to inform you that we have begun our long awaited refurbishment starting with Phase 1 of our hotel entrance and lobby and phase 2 our rooms which I am very excited to see.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Durban soon.

Reviewed 1 February 2014

I stayed in room 1222, last night.

The website clearly states a major lobby refurb is under way, and I have no issue with this, as prices seem to have come down, a little.

My room was v poor. The air con, barely worked, and the shower had no cold water, so, it was scalding hot, making use impossible.

Check-out, no one asked how was my stay .. so at the end I told them .. no one said sorry, they just mumbed they would tell house keeping.

I wont be staying here again.

Room Tip: Sea view, or view of crkt stadium best.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
MarkusMFritz, General Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you very much for taking the time to complete your review. I greatly appreciate any comments made by you as it is always good to receive constructive feedback as we constantly strive to achieve the highest quality of service.

Firstly I would like to sincerely apologise that your recent stay with us did not meet your expectations. I have noted your comments and have addressed this with the Executive Housekeeper, Chief Engineer and the Front Office Manager. Thank you for bringing this to my attention – it is greatly appreciated.

Reviewed 30 January 2014

Spent ten days here all the staff are very attentive had no issues at all and the Exec loung was a joy to use with great staff. Nothing was to much trouble and the location is ideal as the beach is a short walk away and the local bus service ( the bus stop is located next door at the ICC)h is cheap and regular and has no security issues.

Room Tip: High floor with even numbers for best views of sea.

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at Hilton Durban and for taking the time to send in your review. I greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality service.

It is always good to receive constructive customer feedback and I thank you for that.

I place great value on your continued relationship with Hilton and I look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Durban in the near future.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

I had a great experience and enjoyed myself i was with my friend and we had a great time front office welcomed me well on my check in and house keeping kept my room smelling and looking good thanks to the food and beverage team i had a lovely breakfast and in room dining experience of a life time will surely invite my friends and family to stay at hilton durban

Thank Nomagugu Cynthi... G

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for that amazing review. We are happy to hear that we were able to create a home away from home experience for you.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Durban soon.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

Compared to some of the international hotels that we have lived in I will rate ours as some of the top hotels. Sadly we need to look at the staff that you employ. I understand that we have an unemployment problem but we dont need to emply su-standard people. the reputation of the hotel is dependent on the appearance of front desk staff.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
HiltonDurban, General Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Dear Sharnel S, Thank you for your feedback. Please be advised your comments have been shared with the Front Office Manager.Thank you once again and looking forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Durban soon.

Markus Fritz

Reviewed 25 January 2014

Compared to other Hilton properties I have been in, this hotel has seen better days. The location is not walking distance from the beach or anything else unless you are there to watch a cricket match or attend a convention at the convention centre.

The rooms are nice and spacious, the breakfast is decent. The only issue I had was with the pool which is not that pleasant and with the pub which could also do better (strange decor sort of 80's feel but not on purpose).

The hotel overall is decent, but I could not help noticing that when I was there it wore a deserted look (a little too deserted for my taste).

Stay there only if you have business in the area nearby.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank VnKl

Vnki, thank you for your constructive feedback. The hotel is a 15 minute walk to the beach and it is in the City Centre. We are glad to hear that you found the rooms nice and spacious, however we are currently in the process of refurbishing our hotel.

Thank you once again and looking forward to welcoming you to Hilton Durban soon.

Markus Fritz

Reviewed 21 January 2014

Really good location if you need to be in the city for business for example. Rooms are spacious and clean but not very Hilton quality. Comfortable beds as usual. Breakfast buffet was really good. Parking at an additional charge. Hotel can get very full when there is a function or conference. Elevators are issue as they are very slow.
Safes in room are extra large suitable for I Pads or laptops.
One of the best places to stay in Durban

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
JulieNolan13, General Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

Dear EvrenA

Thank you very much for taking the time to complete your guest review. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards. Thank you for your great comments regarding the comfort of our beds, cleanliness and breakfast buffet – will surely pass this onto the entire team. We place great value on your custom, and your continued relationship with Hilton and I look forward to welcoming you once more to Hilton Durban.