“Renovations”

Ranked #3 of 42 Hotels in Durban
Cape Town, South Africa
“Renovations”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

When you book you are not informed of renovations that are being done the restuarant service is very bad food is tasteless hotel staff doesnt have a sense of customer service, I ordered drinks for me and my colleague and i had to complain to get them

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

MarkusMFritz, General Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at Hilton Durban and for taking the time to send in your review. I greatly appreciate any comments made by you as it is always good to receive constructive feedback as we constantly strive to achieve the highest quality of service.

Firstly I would like to sincerely apologise that your recent stay with us did not meet your expectations and I have noted your comments and have addressed the Reservations Manager, Executive Chef and Restaurant Manager. Thank you for bringing these issues to my attention - it is greatly appreciated.

Markus

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Turkish first
Johannesburg, South Africa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

I would suggest a hotel shuts down for a few weeks while renovating otherwise it is a great inconvenience to us guests. waking up to the construction noise while on holiday is so not pleasant. A hotel must live up to its rating. Urine smell in the toilet does not do it either.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you very much for taking the time to complete your review. I greatly appreciate any comments made by you as it is always good to receive constructive feedback as we constantly strive to achieve the highest quality of service.

Firstly I would like to sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused by our current lobby rejuvenation which is in fact in the last few weeks and the condition of your bathroom. I will surely pass this onto the Executive Housekeeper and thank you for bringing to my attention - it is greatly appreciated.

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

The hotel is nicely located in the city, but on a busy intersection. The facilities are a bit tired, but nice enough and the buffet dinner is tasty. The only issue with the restaurant is that they cook in the room, and the ventilation is not great so on seafood night I went away with food and hair smelling of grease.

The service around the pool could have been better, no one came to take my order.

Room Tip: As high up as possible
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
MarkusMFritz, General Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience about your recent stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and our Executive Team is reviewing your comments to ensure they are used to improve our guest's experience. We hope you will consider staying with us in the future. We'd love to have you as our guest to ensure you have the best travel experience.

Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

I booked in at the Hilton a couple of weeks ago at extremely short notice - same day decision in fact, when the air show was taking place, so the whole of Durban was booked out. However they still managed to find a sea facing room for me. My entry to the hotel was seamless from the front desk to the staff that welcomed me and settled me in. The restaurant is exceptional. The food that is available at breakfast, lunch and supper is out of this world. Such variety. I ate so much that I nearly burst. I will definitely be back, because of their friendliness and helpfulness, and especially the FOOD!!. Everything is done with a super smile and exceptional professionalism. The rooms are ginormous, and you can park a car in the bed - it is massive. Everything was tip top! Everything that you would expect from a world class brand. I will definitely be back. Point - stay over the weekend because the rates are cheaper than during the week (very competitive for what you get), it is more of a corporate establishment. All in all the 3 nights that I spent there was well worth it. Thanks to you all at the Hilton, that assisted me, it really made my stay an absolute pleasure, see you all very soon. Best Regards. Hilton.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you so much for taking the time to send in your fantastic review and sharing your experience you had, with us. I will ensure it gets passed onto the entire team.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

I stayed here for 1300 rands per night (about £70) including breakfast and was very impressed.

Staff are lovely and exceptionally helpful to organise movie tickets or tourism stuff. The breakfast here is the best I've ever enjoyed with a MASSIVE range of cooked, fresh fruit and cereals, pastries, local and healthy options. From pancakes to peaches and mushrooms to muesli, all fresh and to a high quality.

The room was great, a little dated with decoration but not a problem, and the bathroom was perfect with a bath and a shower. The bed was very comfortable and no complaints at all.

The pool is marvellous, 24 hours, and the eating area is outdoors giving a great feel to breakfast and dinner.

I would definitely stay here again, especially for the price. It's literally next door to the ICC so if you're going to a conference, I'd recommend staying here. It's maybe a 20 second walk.

About a 10 minute walk to the beach and great views from my room.

Room Tip: Request a room with a sea view and on a higher floor
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
MarkusMFritz, General Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience. I am pleased to hear you found the staff, service, breakfast and overall accommodation to your liking. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the not too distant future.

Stellenbosch, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

Well, what can I say, the Hilton is renown for great service and class! I was not disappointed. I had high hopes and they delivered. Clean rooms, fresh crisp linen and fantastic hospitality from all staff

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience and sending in your wonderful comments. I am pleased to hear you found Hilton Durban to your liking.

Totnes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

Stayed in the Hotel for 18 days & had a very good time doing so. Hotel under refurbishment so taking that into account it was a very enjoyable stay. Yes it's not New shiny & Pristine, but that adds to the place in part. Staff are excellent, all willing able friendly & helpful nothing too much trouble. Food is good well presented but sometimes slightly slow. All in all a very good place to stay in Durban with a central location it is easy to walk to the beach area or town areas. Taxis are always available and good to travel to the local Restaurants & Entertainment Malls etc. All in all despite being Refurbished the Hotel offers a very good friendly atmosphere to stay in while in Durban.

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at Hilton Durban and for taking the time to send in your review. I have noted all your comments and will surely pass this onto the entire team.