“Bad Service”
Review of Hilton Durban

Hilton Durban
Ranked #3 of 43 Hotels in Durban
Reviewed 18 June 2014

The furniture was very old, Housekeeping extremely slow. We had no towels for an entire day after a day at the beach you need to wipe off. Non meat food was good but the rest was not Halal. Elevator button not working for our level so we had to go one level up and walk down a floor.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
MarkusMFritz, General Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at Hilton Durban and for taking the time to complete our guest survey and this TripAdvisor review. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

I trust you received my email already from your guest survey and I do apologise once again for the experience you had on your recent stay with us.

I look forward to welcoming you once more to Hilton Durban and please ensure to contact me when making your reservation.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Durban

Reviewed 17 June 2014

The hotel is near the ICC, and is gear to business visitors. Traveling on my own I found the hotel a bit generic, and lonely. But it was clean, safe, in a good location, good value for money, and the staff were excellent.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
MarkusMFritz, General Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience. I am pleased to hear you found the Hilton Durban's location, service and staff to your liking. I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

I stayed at the Hilton for the Wales rugby match at Kings Park. I had 2 nights (Saturday & Sunday).

Pros - rooms are spacious and modern, bed is very comfy, TV has loads of channels including all sports & movies, bathroom is well equipped. Location is close to to everything you would ever need to do in Durban (beach, ICC & all the stadiums). Breakfast is pretty good with lots of variety.

Cons - You have to pay for Internet in your room - why? Its free in the restaurant and the lobby. Its free in the crappy little 2 star hotels down the road. Apart from a money grab, internet today needs to be complimentary in your room - especially when you advertise FREE WIFI (only in lobby!). The staff, although well meaning, keep knocking your door. First it was "I'm here to change your towels" - at 9am????? - then another knock "I'm here to check the mini-bar" which was cable tied shut!!! - then another knock "Housekeeping" - Sorry I'm not ready I replied - "Well when will you be ready???",,,, In the end I put the Do Not Disturb Sign up to avoid the knocking. It is a busy hotel too (well it was this weekend, I assume it generally is). The showere has only a 5mm ridge to stop the water from running into the bathroom. It does run into the bathroom and will stay wet for quite a while.The breakfast is pretty good - they make omelettes to order for you - mine was sloppy and had a LOAD of chillies through it. Not really complaining here as I did ask for "the lot" and this included the chilli!

all in all, if you get B&B at a good rate it is worth it - just add parking and internet fees though

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
MarkusMFritz, General Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear Valued Guest

It is always good to receive constructive feedback and I thank you, on behalf of my Team. Without a doubt, the experience you have had at the Hilton Durban is not acceptable and is certainly not the norm. I have noted your comments regarding the continuous disturbances in your room and the bathroom shower leaking and have addressed the Executive Housekeeper, Front Office Manager and Chief Engineer. Rest assured our Executive Team is reviewing your comments to ensure they are used to improve our guest's experience and would like to inform you that remedial action has since been taken.

Thank you also for your great comments on our location, breakfasts and rooms and will surely pass this onto the team.

We place great value on your custom, and your continued relationship with Hilton and I look forward to welcoming you once more to Hilton Durban in the near future.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

The hotel reception has an impressive presentation, and the staff is helpful and efficient. Hotel parking unfortunately seems to be reserved for day visitors which is inconvenient to individuals staying for a few days.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience about your recent stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and we're very sorry about our limited parking spaces. Our Executive Team is reviewing your comments to ensure they are used to improve our guest's experience. We hope you will consider staying with us in the future.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Stayed at Hilton for the comrades race as next to expo and finish, from the moment I arrived the staff could not be more courteous and helpful, the room was spacious with an amazingly comfortable and huge beds, with all the touches to make my 4 night stay comfortable. The evening before the race I came back and found a good luck card for the race from the exec chef, along with energy bar, hydration drink and jelly babies, I know it was done for all competitors but this was a wow moment for me and really exceeded my expectations. Loved my stay at the Hilton Durban and look forward to returning for next years Comrades. Thanks again to all the staff and management who may my stay memorable in so many ways, well done all.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience and a very big thank you for your great comments regarding our services, staff and rooms at Hilton Durban. I will surely pass this onto my team for their recognition.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

Stayed at Hilton for 2 nights whilst attending conference at Convention Centre - Hotel is ideally situated, good breakfasts, friendly staff with ample secure undercover parking. far better than the ones on the marine parade IMHO.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
MarkusMFritz, General Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2014

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience. I am pleased to hear you found the Hilton Durban services, staff, breakfasts and location to your liking. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

Never go there!! This is the most horrible Hotel and please check other reviews. They are not lying at all. The Hotel is below average. No one cares if you give feedback or complaint. When I checked in they did not have my room ready, I got the room at 4pm. The service they provide are PATHETIC.

Room Tip: never stay in this hotel
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
MarkusMFritz, General Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Dear Valued Guest

I apologize we were not able to provide you with the quality of services you deserve. This is uncharacteristic of our hotel and staff, and we are always looking for ways to improve our customer experience. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. Please note that I have addressed both the Front Office Manager and Executive Housekeeper. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will consider staying with us again