“My best stay in Durban”
Review of Hilton Durban

Hilton Durban
Ranked #3 of 43 Hotels in Durban
Reviewed 10 July 2014

My first time visit to the Hilton in Durban was my best 5 star hotel experience in South Africa. Noma treated me like a King from the moment I arrived. She even took me on a quick tour and told me about executive floor which automatically appealed to me and I upgraded. She organised everything for me even enrolled me to the rewards program. She is just Amazing.

Room Tip: High Floors , Better Views , 16th Floor is the best
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
MarkusMFritz, General Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience. I am pleased to hear you found the Hilton Durban to your liking and will surely pass on your comments to the team and Noma. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Hilton Durban standard always good, staff are always helpful and will always try to keep one happy. resturant service is good at any time of the day. The Hilton provides good security and comfortable rooms.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
MarkusMFritz, General Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience. I am pleased to hear you found the Hilton Durban service, rooms and staff to your liking. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Hilton hotel is a lovely place to stay at, the employee are so friendly and always helpful. i can recommend this place to everyone. rooms are all in a good condition. the food is top notch. the only problem i had was i got stuck in the lift for more than 10 minutes other than that the rest was lovely

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
MarkusMFritz, General Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you again for taking the time to send in your review and survey. I sincerely appreciate your feedback and I am very sorry to hear about your lift incident and I have re-iterated to both our Front Office and Security Manager the importance of immediate attention when alarm lift is rung. Thank you for kind comments regarding our staff, rooms and food and will surely pass this onto the team.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Durban soon.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

I recently visited Durban to attend a conference. I chose the Hilton due to its prime location with regards to the ICC Durban, where the conference was held.
I first impression was the lack of staff at the check in desk. Only one person was working at a time when many people were checking in. Yet there were many staff just standing around, not assisting and these were not luggage staff or security staff. They looked to be reception and check in staff. If there is a back log of guests waiting to check in, and there are computers available and staff available, they should have the professionalism to see this (even if not on duty) to jump in and help get the long line of guests checked into their rooms. A basic lack of service and professional training.
The room was clean and stunning with all the amenities expected for this 5 star hotel. However, I would pop back to the room to get papers that I needed, and often experienced different staff knocking on the door. They would come in, look around and suddenly leave, I asked each time why but they would not say. I found this very odd, why did they insist on coming into the room and look around? If it is for house keeping and cleaning that is understandable (if they did not want to clean the room while the guest was in the room), but when I asked them there was no mention of cleaning or house cleaning of any kind. In many cases there was no cleaning trolley outside the room when they came in which makes me think it can't be for cleaning. This is very strange, and unprofessional - not expected from this quality of hotel.
The hotel restaurant was very nice, except for the shocking service experienced. I went for a quick lunch, and while a buffet was offered, I wanted something off the a la carte menu, first off this was frowned upon by the wait staff again unprofessional. Than after an hour and a half of waiting for the steak I ordered, I asked what was going on? I was told to wait while she checked with the kitchen. I waited an further 20 minutes, after which I had to hunt down the wait staff to again ask what was happening to which I was told the kitchen is extremely busy (restaurant was maybe a third full). I think that is absolutely disgusting, to firstly have to chase after wait staff and have to wait so long for food which never eventually came. If the kitchen was that busy (I can't believe it was) than at least warn the guests that the food may take longer than usual.
I feel that there is a basic lack of professionalism in this regard.
Service is of the utmost importance in the hospitality business. The staff need a serious refresher course on basic service.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
MarkusMFritz, General Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at Hilton Durban and thank you for your feedback and to let me know of your dissatisfaction. Without a doubt, the experience you have had at the Hilton Durban is not acceptable. Rest assured that each of the issues you raise is being investigated. I sincerely apologise that we were not able to provide you with the quality of services you deserve, this is uncharacteristic of our hotel and staff and would like to inform you that I have addressed the Front Office Manager. Executive Housekeeper, Executive Chef and the Restaurant Manager and remedial actions have been taken.

Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will consider staying with us again.

Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

We booked for the Top Gear weekend, didn't know what to expect.
Check it was a breeze.
Room Stunning, late night snacks Brilliant, waiter fantastic.
Breakfast will easily let you eat way to much. What a variety, fantastic service.
If you really want to be pampered, look no further than this one.
Excellent hotel, 7 Stars, really Stunning.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank coen_12
MarkusMFritz, General Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience. I am pleased to hear you found the Hilton Durban to your liking and will surely pass on your great comments regarding our rooms, breakfast and service to the entire team. I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

I stayed in Hilton first week of June and it was during the Comrades Marathon. It was busy time but they treated us fairly well. However, they hardly check on us. We just have to come if need something. Housekeeping was not so good. There were no towel at all on two occasions but they responded quickly when I brought that up to their attention. I was told the Hotel has been getting feedback to get free Wi-Fi to rooms (which is available in the lobby) but they chose not to do. This is something a guest should not pay to get the service as it is available even in two-star hotels.

Room Tip: Not many rooms have great view but the beach side rooms are ok.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
MarkusMFritz, General Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Dear Valued Guest

I apologize we were not able to provide you with the quality of services you deserve. This is uncharacteristic of our hotel and staff, and we are always looking for ways to improve our customer experience. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. I have noted your comments and have addressed the Executive Housekeeper and will surely pass on your comments to our Executive Team with regards to when we can offer free Wi-Fi to our guests in their rooms. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will consider staying with us again

Reviewed 20 June 2014

We stayed in the Hilton when my son did the World Waveski Competition at the beginning of May.
Rooms were very nice ad food out of this world! The service was great. The porters at the parking was friendly and helpful and we were treated like royalty. It was situated centrally and most places was easy reachable. Even the workers that was busy with maintenance in the Lobby was very friendly. Only the parking payment was a bit confusing, but was sorted out.

Room Tip: there is various price ranges to suit your pocket
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
MarkusMFritz, General Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at Hilton Durban and for taking the time to complete your TripAdvisor review. I greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

It is always good to receive GREAT feedback and I thank you, on behalf of my Team.

We place great value on your continued relationship with Hilton and I look forward to welcoming you once more to Hilton Durban in the near future.