“Tired - just doesn't meet the standard”
Review of Hilton Durban

Hilton Durban
Ranked #3 of 43 Hotels in Durban
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
“Tired - just doesn't meet the standard”
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel 9 times over the past year. Whilst the renovated reception and lobby creates a great first impression, the stark reality is that the accommodation does not meet 4 star standards. Bedrooms old and desperately in need of a renovation. Air conditioning isn't up to scratch and therefore compromises the sleeping experience. Room just doesn't feel clean or sanitized and evidence of stains etc. in the fabrics and carpets. There are far better establishments if one is prepared to drive to Umhlanga and in all fairness, the hotel doesn't meet the standards if a discerning business traveller.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank John G
MarkusMFritz, General Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience about your recent stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and we’re very sorry you were unhappy with our guest rooms and air conditioners. Our Executive Team is reviewing your comments to ensure they are used to improve our guest's experience and would like to happily inform you that now that phase 1 of our refurb is completed (lobby/reception), phase 2 will be the refurbishment of our guestrooms which we are extremely excited about. We hope you will consider staying with us in the future. We'd love to have you as our guest to ensure you have the best travel experience.

Markus

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Turkish first
Landskrona
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 11 nights in July and had a very nice stay. The staff is very welcoming and friendly, especially in the rainbow restaurant and in the rivets bar they felt like old friends when greeting us and asking about our day. The location is good with walking distance to both beach and city. However not recommended to walk in the area during evenings so no walking distance to restaurants. A bit disappointing that they charged a fee for wifi and that the free wifi in the lobby was unbelievably slow.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
MarkusMFritz, General Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience and sending in your Tripadvisor review. I am pleased to hear you found the Hilton Durban location and staff in our restaurant and bar to your liking. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the not too distant future.

Midrand, South Africa
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I stayed at Hilton Durban due to its great location for a business traveller like me. But at my previous stay i experianced the most unhygenic situation whereby i found Blood on one of the Towels which is a scary situation at this day in age aids and other blood related issues. but managements response to this was a simple SORRY and for them case closed. This experiaced has made me so caution that i carry my own towels to hotels these days all because of Durban Hilton. Other than that generally a good place to stay.

Dear Valued Guest

Thank for taking the time out to send in your TripAdvisor review and again would like to apologise for the experience and service you received in your last few stays with us. I trust you have received my correspondence via email and looking forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Durban to soon.

Durban, South Africa
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Everything was just right. No complaints. Great staff and efficient check in procedure. Made to feel very welcome upon arrival and departure. Highly recommended to any traveller. Decor has been upgraded

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience and for sending in our survey and this great Tripadvisor review. I am pleased to hear you found the Hilton Durban staff, check-in and experience to your liking. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

A clean comfortable hotel with exceptional staff. We were staying on the top floor and the scenic views out of each window was beautiful. The staff were exceptionally helpful helping me map out routes, getting transportation or getting food items not in dining room. I stayed here 4 nights and every evening the chef would make me a special meal to order. I am a vegan and had problems finding suitable entrees for dinner on the menu. So every night he asked what I felt like and made vegan curries and vegetable stews to suit my palate. When I wanted a soy latte in the front lobby coffee shop, they ran up to the kitchen to get soy milk for me. I cannot say enough about this hotel and their helpfulness!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the ocean are always more pleasant, the higher the floor more scenic.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience. I am pleased to hear you found the Hilton Durban to your liking and will certainly pass on your comments to our Executive Chef to ensure his team member gets recognition for his service. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the not too distant future.

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Polite and informed employees. Uniforms for restaurant workers need to look much smarter than what i saw. Rooms look decent and cleaned and not much of a choice of organic drinks to choose from. I would certainly recommend to friends and business associates

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to send in your TripAdvisor review . I sincerely appreciate your feedback and would like to inform you that we are currently looking into new uniforms for all our Food & Beverage teams. Thank you also for your email with your suggestions on the organic wines which I have received.

We hope you will consider staying with us in the future.

capetown
Reviewed 10 July 2014

My first time visit to the Hilton in Durban was my best 5 star hotel experience in South Africa. Noma treated me like a King from the moment I arrived. She even took me on a quick tour and told me about executive floor which automatically appealed to me and I upgraded. She organised everything for me even enrolled me to the rewards program. She is just Amazing.

Room Tip: High Floors , Better Views , 16th Floor is the best
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
MarkusMFritz, General Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience. I am pleased to hear you found the Hilton Durban to your liking and will surely pass on your comments to the team and Noma. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the not too distant future.