“Clean comfortable and the beach a stone's throw away ”
Review of Balmoral Hotel

Balmoral Hotel
Ranked #30 of 44 Hotels in Durban
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

It's a lovely hotel situated on the beachfront ... It can be a bit noisy as you may hear the people on the street walking by as it's a high traffic area ... close to just about everything ... Food was very good especially the alacarte menu .. The one thing that stood out about this hotel while I stayed there, was the staff .. From the front desk ,to Sankele, to all the waitrons. . WOW ... TRUE ASSETS TO THE HOTEL. ..such lovely people ... made my stay all the worthwhile

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Olivia J

Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

Authentic and charming but not for those appreciating calm streets and modern AC;)
Excellent staff, nice reception, and good breakfast. However we were let down by the food in the evening.
An amusement park in front of the hotel is a bit noicy afternoons and girls walking the street at night makes you feel a bit sad...
Beachfront is said to be safe and so it felt also during our stay.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Service at breakfeast a pure 10 stars.Thank you"GP" for the lovely coffee.This guy has a very pleasant personality and certainly sets a high standard for the breakfeast team .
Thank you Aasia for making a special effort for getting the whipped cream and fresh scones!
Not to forget Riaz and the lady at reception (on duty with Riaz) thank you for making us feel like royality.
Will definately return to this Hotel.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank RezaSlamdien
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I was booked in for 4 nights recently ( February 1014 ) and believed that my personal safety was of high priority to this hotel. During the evening of the third night, I'd returned to the Balmoral at about 22h00. On my way back to my room, I went though a bad experience - my personal safety was compromised and at risk by a man unknown to me but apparently a guest at the hotel. Reported it immediately to the night staff at reception and felt that the situation was not dealt with in a satisfactory way. I was traumatized and realized that they were not able to assure me that I would spend a safe night .
I called a friend, packed my bags and checked out immediately.
Wrote an e-mail to the manger of the hotel but - have not received a word back from him yet .
Staying in the Balmoral Hotel ever again ? NEVER, NEVER !

Room Tip: My only tip here - STAY AWAY
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank PretoriaSpring
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I managed to get a half price deal on AGODA for this hotel and only stayed two nights so I was happy with my room and service. It does need a bit of an upgrade but I found it charming and the beds are very comfortable. I had a hire car and would not walk around here on my own at night, but that could be said for most places in South Africa. Price didn't include breakfast so no idea what the food was like.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 November 2013

A total disgrace, was told to go inside the hotel from the terrace bar because 2 guys were contemplating mugging me on the hotel terrace bar. I was told this is a very dangerous part of town and I can agree. I wrote to the tourist board about this hotel and place. It attracts families and kids and is very noisy at night as guests exit the lift and then start their loud mobile calls on the landing sat on chairs positioned outside rooms. All I will say is, think again, it is not good for business and if you arrive for breakfast after 9am do not complain if you notice most of the food as gone, it is like bloody rations and I cannot express my dissapointment with this hotel. I asked to see the GM and was presented with someone posing to be the GM. NEVER AGAIN.

Room Tip: Yes, check out turn left and walk 1 mile down the road to a safer area with better hotels.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
6  Thank aramis110
Reviewed 3 October 2013

I suspect this hotel is as expensive as it is because it's right on the beach front, but not really value for the money. The cons: hotel needs some TLC as it seems quite run down and customer service was so-so...missed a wake up call one morning, refused to let me stay one hour past check out as my flight left at 3 in the afternoon and no one showed up when I asked for assistance with something in my room. Midway across the street can be noisy and windows do not block out noise. Pros: Close to many other amenities, WiFi included, great breakfast included, great terrace out front to unwind with a drink at the end of the day, comfy beds. The building itself is great, just needs some freshening up.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business