“Good Value for money”

Ranked #15 of 43 Hotels in Durban
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Good Value for money”
Reviewed 26 March 2012

The hotel is in the process of being refurbished and the old (unfurbished) rooms are not good - smelly and look dirty.

We spent 2 nights in a refurbished room on the 17th floor with a stunning view of the sea. The room had a small balcony with a table and 2 chairs and you could sit comfortably outside if you so wished.

The air conditioning worked well as did the flat screen tv.

The bed was a king size and very comfortable. The bathroom only had a shower but that was not a problem for us. The shower is a rain shower.

The only problem I had with the accomodation was the location of the toilet - with the refurbishment the basin has been expanded such that the space for the toilet is very cramped. I am a small person and even I had a problem seating myself on the toilet between the wall and the basin.

The breakfast was delicious.

The service at reception was very slow and only 2 people were on duty every time we went to reception. The hotel is busy, busy and they could up the ante if they were more efficient at reception.

We swam in the indoor pool and it was clean and very refreshing.

The location of the hotel is very good and the only problem is parking. There is parking underneath the hotel but it is very full and also expensive. Street parking is very difficult at peak hours.

We would definitely stay here again.
Reasonable price and good location.

Room Tip: Request a refurbished room with a front location
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Mari-AnneBed

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Polish first
JHB
Reviewed 22 March 2012

Renovated rooms costs the same as old rooms - daylight robbery?
You cant book parking but you can but you must be booked in but staff like to quibble with guests and give no solutions until you call a manager to complain and then maybe you get lucky and she helps you. Time for that brush up course in Hotel Logic 101 - I pay your salary - YES ME the GUEST you arrogant know it all young man at reception desk!
Aircons noisy and old - High, low or not at all. First room's aircon startup beat my grandfathers tracktor on the farm!
Bathroom blinds dirty
No Mini Bar or Fridge
Phone wasnt working in room 1 - moved to another room - at least and at last! 45 minutes after arrival.
TV bombed out somewhere in the night - another snappy barking over the phone by the aggressive young man at reception.

Breakfast - oily, old bacon, food I wouldnt feed my dog. Its like Bangkok - only eat what they cook in front of you! Was nice 2011 now gone down the drain. How many waiters does it take to ignore you in the dining hall? ONLY 3. Then get up and do it yourself
Best part - the sea view.
Saddest part - How the hell did they get 3 AA rates stars?

Room Tip: Sleep in your car!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Joe B

Travellers are raving about these Durban hotels

Jeffreysbaai, Eastern Cape, South Africa
Reviewed 18 March 2012

I went to Durban last week on the 8/03/12 and i have to say i was Impressed because i got exactly what i saw on the Internent and the staff was very friendly and warm , we were booked in a room at the 7th floor and when we got there there were busy installing a new elevator because of how busy the hotel is , close to the shops and the beautiful Moses Mabhida Stadium and close to the Casino ,we took walks in the evening and place is nice and quiet ,The house keeping Aunties were very nice . The hotel is just a spit away from the beach . To the Staff and Management Keep up i was impressed , Good Rates Good Service

Room Tip: Corner Suites are Large and Sunny, 7th Floor Rocked
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank KolekaManana
Reviewed 17 March 2012

1st of all the pictures shown on the website are fake, they are probibly taken from another hotel coz that's not the Blue waters we visited & hoped to stay at, I'm from Jhb & me & my cousin saved up & planned for this holiday months in advance, we paid a deposit 2 weeks before & finaly got there filled with excitement only to see a crappy, stinky, filthy, cockroach infested room, the building to start of with looks nothing like the picture, it looks old & crappy, the lobby was disgusting & had mud on the floor, we paid for a 4 nights stay & headed up to our room only to find it smelt like bad, the beds were small, it was full of dust & just pathetic, the balcony was filthy & had spiders & not the table & chairs they promised but instead garden chairs which were broken, I can't forget the odour of the room & the huge cockroach at the front door, we checked out & they promised to pay back our deposit which they never, when we call they give us excuses which make no scence,,

• Stayed March 2012
4 Thank Jayshree Naidoo
Centurion, South Africa
Reviewed 21 February 2012

I was delighted to see the new renovated rooms and lifts at the old jewel of Durban! I was here when I was in College last and the rooms were musty, yellow coloured beds and really looking tired.
BUT NOW - lovely tiled floors, brand new furniture, high-tech tv and internet in the rooms. I'm so impressed and glad that the management of this hotel have decided to revamp this conveniently located palace!
A special thanks to Jandray at the desk who was so professional, attentive and fast at check in. Andrew who I think is the GM there also happened to be at the front desk when I checked in and he was quite delightful with a sharp sense of humour which was much appreciated after such a long trip down from Johannesburg. He and the rooms manager Renier cheered me up and offered me cake while the porter was busy loading my bags. Before I knew it I was in my beautiful room. WHAT A VIEW!!!! We are not so spoiled in jhb to have such a beautiful view.
Thanks also to Tino and the chef at the buffet (i can't remember your name sweety but you are so awesome) - I think it was Yvonne. They explained the dishes so nicely and the food was truly sumptuous.
I will be back for sure in May!!! xoxo

Room Tip: Andrew recommended an upgrade to a Deluxe room when I arrived. YOU WILL NOT BE SORRY! The room is re...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Tania P
Erlangen, Germany
Reviewed 15 January 2012

We stayed in the hotel for one night, and it was awful, our two year old daughter got a skin rush from the dust and the old carpets were so itshy. It is really dirty and the staff do not clean the rooms.....only for emergencies.....if you find nothing else........In the passages there is no cleaning at all, and the whole decor is from the 80' and has not been revamped ever

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank MeneerTokoloshe
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2012

This hotel was booked for me as I was in Durban for a conference. The pictures on the website are not representative of most of the rooms in the hotel. Some of the rooms (on the top few floors) have been renovated (and these are shown on the website), but most have not and remain gloomy, old and dated. The first room that I was given smelt really strongly of mould and damp so I asked to be moved. The second room was better to begin with but soon started also to smell of damp once I'd been living in it for a few days.
When I arrived the safe in my room was already locked so I needed someone to come to open it for me before I could use it. It took four phone calls and finally a personal visit to reception to get someone to come.
I had a few cockroaches in my room, one of which I trapped under a mug behind the bathroom door - the mug then remained there for the next 4 or 5 days, so you can draw your own conclusions as to how thorough the cleaning of the rooms was. I'm not sure how often the bedsheets were changed. Provided toiletries were not regularly refreshed. And colleagues of mine also staying in the hotel were not sure if their towels were being changed regularly. The shower on the wall over the bath was in a very strange low position - I'm not sure you could stand under it if you were much taller than me.
The door to my balcony had a rather large gap all around it, which meant that when there was a storm an absolute gale was blowing into my room. The aircon was also very loud and you couldn't adjust the temperature.
The hotel was often quite noisy early in the morning thanks to the cleaning staff.
The hotel is in a good location in terms of being right on the beachfront - we were advised not to walk along the beach after dark (and especially not alone), but during the day it seemed reasonably safe. It is also close to the football stadium.
The hotel has four lifts but only two go past the tenth floor and often not all of the lifts were working. I gave up with the lifts and just walked up the stairs to my room on the thirteenth floor - at least it was good exercise. The hallways and stairways of the hotel did not look like they are cleaned regularly and when people left room service leftovers outside of their rooms the trays seemed to stay there for ages before being collected.
The hotel has a small pool but it didn't seem that you could use it as the pool room was always set up with tables and chairs for events.
I found the wifi to be cheap (although these days I would expect it to be free), but it wasn't very reliable - it was often impossible to get a connection, especially from my room - presumably this was when lots of people were trying to use it.
I have to say that the food in the restaurant of the hotel was very good. The breakfast buffet was large and varied, although at certain times it was really busy. The dinner buffet was also excellent and great value. However the restaurant was let down by the awful service. Those who seemed to be the management staff were attentive and friendly, but it was an effort just to get the wait staff to bring you a glass of water or indeed to get their attention at all. At breakfast there seemed to be little effort made to make tables ready for the next people - I often found it difficult to find a table that was clean and had cutlery etc on it.
I heard stories of colleagues staying in other completely unsafe hotels in Durban but thankfully this wasn't my experience at Blue Waters. I wasn't sure how safe it was to leave all my valuables in the safe in my room but I didn't have any other option and luckily I left with everything I came with. Personally I can't say how this hotel compares with others in Durban as I don't have experience of any others (maybe it is good by Durban standards), but still I certainly couldn't recommend it on its own merits.

Room Tip: If you choose to or have to stay here, make sure you get one of the renovated rooms, which are on th...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business