“Blue Waters Hotel Durban”
Review of Blue Waters Hotel

Blue Waters Hotel
Ranked #15 of 43 Hotels in Durban
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Blue Waters Hotel Durban”
Reviewed 28 March 2012

We stayed at the Blue Waters Hotel between 21 and 25 March 2012. What a pity its owners or opreators have let it get to that state. The hotel was fully booked during this period, so clearly people are looking for value of money - which this property is. But the staff (except at reception and some in the dining hall) were sullen, unhelpful and downright rude. The room smelt musty and the toilet which was "hygienically sealed" upon our arrival int he room, had pubic hairs in it. I showered (having to fight with a shower curtain continually during the experience) in my slops because of the way the bath looked. I understand that they are busy renovating. If the pictures that are played on a continous loop ont eh tv's in reception are anything to go by, it will look smart when it is done - now please then just keep it looking like that - and open windows when you clean rooms so that it does not smell like that anymore! If other hotels on the beachfront can do it, so can you!

Room Tip: Ask for one of the renovated rooms - they are renovating from the top down. We made the mistake to...
3 Thank Maurietta P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Polish first
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 26 March 2012

The hotel is in the process of being refurbished and the old (unfurbished) rooms are not good - smelly and look dirty.

We spent 2 nights in a refurbished room on the 17th floor with a stunning view of the sea. The room had a small balcony with a table and 2 chairs and you could sit comfortably outside if you so wished.

The air conditioning worked well as did the flat screen tv.

The bed was a king size and very comfortable. The bathroom only had a shower but that was not a problem for us. The shower is a rain shower.

The only problem I had with the accomodation was the location of the toilet - with the refurbishment the basin has been expanded such that the space for the toilet is very cramped. I am a small person and even I had a problem seating myself on the toilet between the wall and the basin.

The breakfast was delicious.

The service at reception was very slow and only 2 people were on duty every time we went to reception. The hotel is busy, busy and they could up the ante if they were more efficient at reception.

We swam in the indoor pool and it was clean and very refreshing.

The location of the hotel is very good and the only problem is parking. There is parking underneath the hotel but it is very full and also expensive. Street parking is very difficult at peak hours.

We would definitely stay here again.
Reasonable price and good location.

Room Tip: Request a refurbished room with a front location
2 Thank Mari-AnneBed
JHB
Reviewed 22 March 2012

Renovated rooms costs the same as old rooms - daylight robbery?
You cant book parking but you can but you must be booked in but staff like to quibble with guests and give no solutions until you call a manager to complain and then maybe you get lucky and she helps you. Time for that brush up course in Hotel Logic 101 - I pay your salary - YES ME the GUEST you arrogant know it all young man at reception desk!
Aircons noisy and old - High, low or not at all. First room's aircon startup beat my grandfathers tracktor on the farm!
Bathroom blinds dirty
No Mini Bar or Fridge
Phone wasnt working in room 1 - moved to another room - at least and at last! 45 minutes after arrival.
TV bombed out somewhere in the night - another snappy barking over the phone by the aggressive young man at reception.

Breakfast - oily, old bacon, food I wouldnt feed my dog. Its like Bangkok - only eat what they cook in front of you! Was nice 2011 now gone down the drain. How many waiters does it take to ignore you in the dining hall? ONLY 3. Then get up and do it yourself
Best part - the sea view.
Saddest part - How the hell did they get 3 AA rates stars?

Room Tip: Sleep in your car!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Joe B

Travellers are raving about these Durban hotels

Jeffreysbaai, Eastern Cape, South Africa
Reviewed 18 March 2012

I went to Durban last week on the 8/03/12 and i have to say i was Impressed because i got exactly what i saw on the Internent and the staff was very friendly and warm , we were booked in a room at the 7th floor and when we got there there were busy installing a new elevator because of how busy the hotel is , close to the shops and the beautiful Moses Mabhida Stadium and close to the Casino ,we took walks in the evening and place is nice and quiet ,The house keeping Aunties were very nice . The hotel is just a spit away from the beach . To the Staff and Management Keep up i was impressed , Good Rates Good Service

Room Tip: Corner Suites are Large and Sunny, 7th Floor Rocked
1 Thank KolekaManana
Reviewed 17 March 2012

1st of all the pictures shown on the website are fake, they are probibly taken from another hotel coz that's not the Blue waters we visited & hoped to stay at, I'm from Jhb & me & my cousin saved up & planned for this holiday months in advance, we paid a deposit 2 weeks before & finaly got there filled with excitement only to see a crappy, stinky, filthy, cockroach infested room, the building to start of with looks nothing like the picture, it looks old & crappy, the lobby was disgusting & had mud on the floor, we paid for a 4 nights stay & headed up to our room only to find it smelt like bad, the beds were small, it was full of dust & just pathetic, the balcony was filthy & had spiders & not the table & chairs they promised but instead garden chairs which were broken, I can't forget the odour of the room & the huge cockroach at the front door, we checked out & they promised to pay back our deposit which they never, when we call they give us excuses which make no scence,,

• Stayed March 2012
4 Thank Jayshree Naidoo
Centurion, South Africa
Reviewed 21 February 2012

I was delighted to see the new renovated rooms and lifts at the old jewel of Durban! I was here when I was in College last and the rooms were musty, yellow coloured beds and really looking tired.
BUT NOW - lovely tiled floors, brand new furniture, high-tech tv and internet in the rooms. I'm so impressed and glad that the management of this hotel have decided to revamp this conveniently located palace!
A special thanks to Jandray at the desk who was so professional, attentive and fast at check in. Andrew who I think is the GM there also happened to be at the front desk when I checked in and he was quite delightful with a sharp sense of humour which was much appreciated after such a long trip down from Johannesburg. He and the rooms manager Renier cheered me up and offered me cake while the porter was busy loading my bags. Before I knew it I was in my beautiful room. WHAT A VIEW!!!! We are not so spoiled in jhb to have such a beautiful view.
Thanks also to Tino and the chef at the buffet (i can't remember your name sweety but you are so awesome) - I think it was Yvonne. They explained the dishes so nicely and the food was truly sumptuous.
I will be back for sure in May!!! xoxo

Room Tip: Andrew recommended an upgrade to a Deluxe room when I arrived. YOU WILL NOT BE SORRY! The room is re...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Tania P
Erlangen, Germany
Reviewed 15 January 2012

We stayed in the hotel for one night, and it was awful, our two year old daughter got a skin rush from the dust and the old carpets were so itshy. It is really dirty and the staff do not clean the rooms.....only for emergencies.....if you find nothing else........In the passages there is no cleaning at all, and the whole decor is from the 80' and has not been revamped ever

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family