“blue waters is a disgrace”
Review of Blue Waters Hotel

Blue Waters Hotel
Ranked #15 of 43 Hotels in Durban
johannesburg
“blue waters is a disgrace”
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Apparently staying at this hotel for 9 nights makes no difference to blue waters staff. A 12 noon check out was confirmed by the duty manager on sunday and on Monday , the receptionist insisted that I should checkout at 11 the latest. Do u lie to all your customers ? I could have stayed for 20 nights and it wouldn't have made a difference. Also a 14th floor room was supposedly "reserved " on the day of checkin when phoning to confirm but 10th floor given on checkin. Why should I continue to support a hotel that treats regular returining guests like dirt? never again. I blame the staff, duty manager and general manager for this. Do not trust this hotel.

Room Tip: check in at garden court
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank es786

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Polish first
Mbabane, Swaziland
Reviewed 26 January 2014

I have stayed at the Blue Waters recently on my educational trip and it was on point. Got the best deal for three day with Breakfast. Rooms have been refurbished with LCD TV, nice work table and a chair, coffee making facility and a big bath room (shower).

The breakfast is huge, for a "South African restaurant", with nice big sausages (another not so South African feature). I pity myself for my tight schedule which deprived me the chance to enjoy breakfast.

Well located for travelling Durban city with public transport next door at R4. When travelling back you just say North Beach and you in the Hotel in a flash.

The view from the room is breath-taking. If you are from a landlocked country like myself you really have to stay in room 813 - perfect.

Internet was an issue from my room and its the only thing that management must work on!!!

From Hotelier to Hotelier = The bar staff at the ground floor were tops in terms of friendliness and openness. The Host in the breakfast room -male dark is also good with people. Lausanne Naidoo at reception can not be left out - she connects well and is very good.

You can choose a 5 star hotel if you have money and willing to spend unnecessarily, otherwise use Blue waters. The Hotel is very good and I will be returning soon.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank KingSuthu
Reviewed 23 January 2014

My family and I have been booking @ bluewaters for the last 5 years but this was my last year I stay there. Rooms we clean but service @ the breakfast was terrible. I understand they are busy but at least put a smile on your face and be pleasent.my reson for not booking ere again is due to the lack of friendlyness from all staff.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank haseenaxO

Travellers are raving about these Durban hotels

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 15 January 2014

What an excellent service you guys offer! from the reservations, dealing with Nicky to checking in and checking out with the receptionist (forgot her name, but I think it was Lungi of not mistaken)...the rooms are very clean, we received more than we expected. Being in the same industry, you guys exceeded my expectations....we really had fun and will definately recomment your hotel to friends and family.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 January 2014 via mobile

The major pro to the hotel is... You guessed. .. the location. Right on the esplanade and within 150m of the sea and surf.
●Average rooms
●Full breakfast, plenty of food, nothing exotic but you and your kids will have a good start to the day.
●Parking can be tricky. Limited underground space - no room for cars with roof racks/boxes or vehicle with boot carriers, we found the descent angle of the driveway too steep.
●Access to rest of the touristy stuff is very good, e.g. Moses M. Stadium is within walking/cycling distance

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Clyde S
Reviewed 11 January 2014 via mobile

The reservation process was a nightmare and the reservation clerk, named Nikki, was sullen and very unhelpful. When we finally arrived, the receptionist was quite friendly and we were placed in a room on the sixth floor. Room was being cleaned when we arrived, but smelled fresh and were neat and tidy. However, due to a problem with the door, we were moved to the 14th floor. This room however, was dirty. Under the beds, I saw thick dust and the toilet was dirty, even though it had a seal on to show it was cleaned. I had to clean the loo myself as the dirt was clearly visible. The shower was filled with sand and I found the previous visitors' hair lying on the floor. The shower was grimy and the dirt can be clearly seen on the glass panel. The windows were so dirty you could not see through it and the curtains had mould at the bottom.
Regardless, the breakfast was good and the location excellent and within walking distance to Moses Mabhida Stadium and the restaurants at the casino. Taxis are found in front of the hotel, and if for example you want to go to Ushaka, it will cost you R60 per trip. If you do choose this hotel, it is best to ask for a room below the tenth floor, as not all the lifts go up the the higher floors.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Kaysten100
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Blue Waters hotel for three nights. While the facade of the building is looking rather tired, the interior has been recently renovated and our room (twin on the 7th floor) was very well appointed and neat. The service was average, however I would attribute this to the fact that the hotel was at or near capacity. The breakfast buffet was nice and the pizzas downstairs are fantastic. The only downside was that the wifi was unreliable and extremely slow. Other than that an good hotel at a very moderate price.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends