“Good - you get what you pay for!”
Review of Blue Waters Hotel

Blue Waters Hotel
Ranked #19 of 44 Hotels in Durban
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I have stayed at Blue Waters several times for business/conferences, and that is what I recommend Blue Waters for. The rooms are good, service is nice, but the hotel does not have anything particularly fancy or well done (which is why it is such a good price for ocean-frontage!). Breakfast is great, the staff are very friendly and welcoming. The internet service is terrible and we also had a night or two of loud music! You get what you pay for.

Room Tip: The elevators that go from floors 10 - 18 are often broken, so if you have a schedule (like a confer...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Michelle J
BlueW, Guest Relations Manager at Blue Waters Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2014

Dear Michelle,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

Our full English Breakfast is very popular, offering a wide selection of hot and cold dishes daily. We are currently in the process of upgrading our Wi-Fi facilities, I am sure that you will note improvement in this area on your next stay with us. We have changed the closing time for all entertainment at the Blue Dolphin Bar to 22:00, this will most definitely reduce noise levels after 22:00.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to the Blue Waters Hotel once again in the near future.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Great value and excellent location in the waterfront / Golden Mile. Near to the Casino resort to the left and 5 star hotels, with good dining on the right. Beach literally 50 yards away and great views from the hotel, especially higher floors. North Side of the hotel has great views of the Moses Matiba football stadium. Free car parking outside, large rooms with fridges in the rooms and decent TV.
Breakfast excellent Buffett and different each day and a very good pub on the ground floor.
So why only 3 stars? Wifi was extremely poor (128 or 56kb!) and went off frequently - the cost was 50Rand for 100Mb and it was useless in the rooms. One star lost for this - McDonalds gives free wifi, why do I have to pay in a hotel? And why is it so crap?
2nd star lost for not rectifying this why we complained, not reimbursing us our payment and giving us the excuse that the wifi is being upgraded - by that statement they are admitting that it is crap and are therefore selling a product which is not fit for purpose.
My wife had big argument with receptionist at checkout and caused bad feeling which I didn't need.
It is a great shame as otherwise I would have left a 5 start review.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Travelingjohn123

Dear Peterlee,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

We most definitely have one of the best locations on Durban's Golden Mile, close to all tourist attractions and Battery Beach right on our doorstep.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our great Full English Breakfast Buffet as well as the Blue Dolphin Bar on the Ground Floor, our thin based wood fired pizza's with delicious toppings served at the Blue Dolphin Bar are superb.

I am pleased to inform you that we are in the process of upgrading our Wi-Fi facilities, I am sure that you will note improvement in this area on your next stay with us. All our receptionists have also completed Customer Service Training since your stay with us, this will certainly improve their ability to provide excellent customer service as well as handling of guest queries and complaints more effectively.

We value your feedback and use it as a tool to constantly improve our service and facilities, I look forward to welcoming you back to the Blue Waters Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

My family visited the hotel enroute from the south coast of KZN, stayed for 3 nights which included the weekend. The hotel interior is in a fair condition, the family rooms are great for a family with young kids, its in a good position across the road from the beach, the breakfast waffles are the great, and it is well priced - But!

If you have any intention of sleeping over on a weekend and actually getting some sleep forget it! Friday night is disco night. A dj comes with his own sound system which includes large loud speakers and blasts the music till the early hours of the morning! The sound was so loud I could feel the vibrations in my room on the 11th floor. I complained to the duty manager at 2 or so hour intervals when I realised that his promise to turn the music down was not being met. I eventually gave up and hoped that the music would stop at midnight - no such luck - it continued till the early hours of the morning. Saturday night is live music night. But at least this fellow arives with only a small set of loud speakers at ends his show at about 22h00 or so.

The duty managers and the general manager are aware of customer compliants regarding disco night but do othing about it. In fact, it works well for them for a certain type of clientel. Families with kids or people that want to sleep at night should stay away on weekends! They also have a policy of only refunding you after 30 days and subject to certain conditions. So leaving after the first night is fraught with challenges. Never again for me.

Room Tip: No matter how high, you cant get away from the noise of the music.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank TLC707

Dear TLC707,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

We have a superb location on Durban's Golden Mile with great front sea facing views as well as exceptional view of the North Coast as well as the Moses Mabhida Stadium.

I am pleased to inform you that we have changed the cut off time for all entertainment in our Blue Dolphin Bar to 22:00, this will most certainly reduce noise levels after 22:00.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to the Blue Waters Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Two of us stayed here for one night. The location is great, right on the beach and walking distance to a casino.The room was very clean and comfortable. The staff was cordial, but there seemed to be a lot of new people being trained. Overall I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We are currently checked in to stay at this hotel till the 1st June 2014, and have been allocated a family room (our kids are 10 and 6 years old), room no 420. It is 8:15pm and we are being blasted by the very loud loud live music coming from the hotel restaurant below us. Ontop of this we are being disturbed by very pungent marijuana smoke coming into our hotel room. Reception says that the live music happens thurs, fri and sat evenings (so it will be for the duration of our stay). Most unpleasant. And no one from reception mentioned the loud live music when we booked. I strongly suggest that if you have kids and are thinking of booking at this hotel, don't do so.

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank lisay0unger
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I have stayed in the last months a par of times in Durban. I went las weekend with more 3 friends so we wanted to choose an apartment for 4 with single beds. Blue waters seemed right. When we get the room there were two cockroaches inside waiting for us. At the breakfast I ask a cappuccino they told ok but u have to pay, then my friend asked for a expresso and the answer was the same. The internet is a dream/nightmare they give u the access in the reception but to access is like one in a million. I think u can get better hotels for almost the same price just 50 meters around.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Colaco
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed on business, but also on a budget. Ideal on the beach, so I went for a run most mornings along the sand. The indoor pool was pathetic, but the ocean was warm enough as a replacement!
Breakfast was great, as were evening meals, plenty of choice and good quality food.
Rooms were okay - clean and presentable, but acceptable for a budget trip.

Room Tip: Higher floors offer the best sea views
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business