“Classic Elegance”

Ranked #13 of 43 Hotels in Durban
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
“Classic Elegance”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

A pleasantly old-fashioned hotel with modern features and breakfast to die for. It's ideally located close to Moses Mabhida stadium, Kings Park and the beach front. I was on a work assignment covering the Nedbank Cup final at Moses Mabhida and it was a walking distance. I was in the more tranquil part of the Durban beach-front, which didn't feel like I was working.
It had a nostalgic aura about it, when I was youngster my mom, dad & sisters would go down to durbs and have a family vacation and we stayed there in the early 90's.

Its classic elegance at its subtle best.

Room Tip: Sea-facing rooms are what you want but for a cheaper rate the other rooms are just as good.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Tshidiso L
BlueW, Guest Relations Manager at Blue Waters Hotel, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear Tshidiso,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am so pleased to know that you enjoyed your time with us.

Our Full English Breakfast Buffet is superb, offering a great variety of hot and cold dishes to choose from. I am delighted that your stay with us was memorable and brought back nostalgic memories for you.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to the Blue Waters Hotel in the near future.

Guest Services Liaison

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
  • Polish first
Sandbach, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

I booked to be in Durban not knowing it was the Durban July (big horse race and party). This was one of the few hotels with rooms but not cheap! The experience in the hotel got off to a bad start...I stood in front of the reception desk whilst the 2 staff behind got on with stuff (ignoring me). I had to ask if this was the reception for checking in to the hotel. I had booked the room through hotel.de ( a site I have used both in Europe and SA) they had no record of my booking and took for ages to get me sorted (stopping to take calls and talk to other colleagues during this time). I don't believe they found the booking but just took the room rate that was on my email confirmation and gave me a room. Whilst the hotel looks OK from the front reception, once inside it is a cross between student halls of residence and a bail hostel. The door on my room looked liked it had been kicked in at some stage and rattled all night ( I fixed it by jamming a napkin in the door frame). The hotel bar was open to the public and when I asked for a drink to be put on my room, I was treated with great suspicion and eventually paid cash. The hotel is in a great location but unless you were on a stag/horn weekend, I would give it a wide birth.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
7 Thank Aquila2013
Dear Aquila,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I would like to apologize for the lapse in service standards experienced during your stay with us, I can assure you that this is most definitely not the norm. Our reception staff have recently completed Customer Service Training, this will certainly improve the service standards at the front desk. I will address the appearance with regards to passages as well as rooms and maintenance with our Executive Team to action improvements in these areas.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, this allows us to use your constructive feedback to constantly improve our service and facilities.

Guest Services Liaison

Travellers are raving about these Durban hotels

mombasa
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Recently stayed here during a trade fair in town. Big rooms, good shower , great location . Morning jog on the golden mile is really a great way to start the day. Amazing view if you get a room facing the ocean. Very good breakfast and very friendly staff. One minus, no gym and please Wifi is no longer a charge item. It is a free service included in the room package. I have no idea why most South Africa hotels insist to charge for Wifi. Will I return, yes I will .

Room Tip: Insist on a higher floor room facing the beautiful Indian Ocean
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Mombasahotelier
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to reflect on your stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your time with us.

Our rooms are newly renovated and very spacious, most of our rooms also offer great sea views and balconies to soak up the morning sun. Our Full English Breakfast Buffet is superb, offering a wide variety of hot and cold dishes to choose from. I am pleased to inform you that we are in the process of upgrading our WiFi facilities, I am sure that on your next stay with us you will note improvement in this area.

Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed 1 July 2014

The hotel is located on the beachfront, walking distance from the casino and near the Moses Mabila Stadium. Awesome views from most rooms. Family rooms with two bedrooms - really nice. The breakfast is the best. You can eat breakfast even if you are not staying in the hotel at R99 per person - and this is really worth it. I cannot rate the hotel excellent because two things. First and most important; the room was only cleaned after 2 pm each day. Secondly, the hotel is a bit old and rundown, especially on the outside, and in need of a face lift.

Room Tip: Family rooms are big and have a partial ocean view.
Dear Erna,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I am delighted that your time with us was memorable, we most definitely have prime location on Durban's Golden Mile. Our Food & Beverage team will be so pleased with the great comments with regards to our Breakfast Buffet. I would like to apologise for the temporary lapse in service experienced with regards to the Housekeeping Service, I can assure you that this is most definitely not the norm and I will address this with the Executive Housekeeper. I am pleased to inform you that we are currently renovating the exterior of the hotel, I am sure that by your next stay with us you will note a remarkable improvement in all areas.

BLOEMFONTEIN, SOUTH AFRICA
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Stayed for three nights in June for a conference. Spacious room with a stunning view of the sea. Within walking distance from the beach and shopping centre. Breakfast is divine with a great variety. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Higher floors have an even more beautiful view.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
BlueW, General Manager at Blue Waters Hotel, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear Marietjie,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I am so glad that you enjoyed our spacious rooms with panoramic sea views and great balconies.
We are centrally located to all tourist attractions and activities, as well as just across the road from Durban's Golden Mile. Our Full English Breakfast Buffet is superb, offering a great variety of hot and cold dishes to choose from.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Stayed here in June for a conference. Durban is dangerous, and you can't walk around at nightfall, this can be an issue for dinner arrangements. Room was excellent, and serviced daily. Staff were fantastic, and generally pretty helpful.

1 Thank Marzy369
Dear Marzy,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your rooms and the friendly staff during your recent stay with us. We have numerous Food & Beverage outlets within the hotel which offer a great variety for dinner, on your next stay with us be sure to try one of our outlets, you will not be disappointed.

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I spent 2 nights at the hotel on business and was very impressed. Location is excellent, staff very friendly, room appeared to be recently revamped and very comfortable and the breakfast was very good too which was included in the room rate. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Must have the sea view rooms preferably on the top floors
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
BlueW, Guest Relations Manager at Blue Waters Hotel, responded to this review, 28 June 2014
Dear Shazzie,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

We certainly have prime location on Durban's Golden Mile, our rooms have all been recently renovated offering a fresh new look to all our guests. Our full English breakfast buffet offers a great variety with a view to match.

Thank you for your great comments I will be sure to pass this on to all relevant Departments.