“dissapointed”

Ranked #15 of 43 Hotels in Durban
Greytown, South Africa
“dissapointed”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

The reception desk were friendly and our room was clean and well furnished. My disappointment with the hotel started when we returned late after dinner, at about 11h00 pm, and considered a night cap and coffee at the bar or outside at the Blue Dolphin Restaurant. The bar, but specifically the outside area was littered with papers, tables were left with dirty plates and over flowing ash trays. Really not pleasant. Breakfast was good the next morning with efficient service. so I am not sure where the staff where the night before, but there was no sign of management. The blue Waters are currently revamping their hotel, and the location is really suburb but I am reluctant to return after witnessing the mess that was around on a Saturday night.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Aherin
BlueW, Guest Relations Manager at Blue Waters Hotel, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear Aherin,

Thank you for taking the time to reflect on your recent stay with us.

I would like to apologise for the temporary lapse in service experienced during your recent stay with us, I can assure you that this is most definitely not the norm. I have addressed the concerns raised with the Food & Beverage Manager so that she can be able to take corrective action and ensure that this does not happen again. I am delighted that your breakfast experience was a positive one, our Breakfast Team and Blue Dolphin Team are run separately, our Full English Breakfast Buffets are superb, offering a wide variety of hot and cold dishes to choose from.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to the Blue Waters Hotel in the near future, I am sure that you will note remarkable improvements on your next stay with us.

Guest Services Liaison

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Polish first
Kozhikode
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Few things I loved about the hotel
1. View of the beach from my room
2. I had the side room with the view of moses mabhida satdium
3. Clean and big room
4. Nice restaurant (breakfast spread was real good)
5. Good staff
Can take a lovely stroll over the beach right across the hotel, quite a lot of things to do and city/universities was very close and everyone knows this hotel. The room charges match the quality they have.
Only thing is that the hotel is quite old. But I guess i got a very good room.

Room Tip: Get a room with the view of the beach!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank sudeepkrish
Dear Sudeep,

Thank you for taking the time to reflect on your recent stay with us. I am so pleased that your time with us was memorable.

Most of our rooms offer great sea views and balconies to soak up the morning sun and enjoy the view, our rooms are spacious and well maintained, the Full English Breakfast Buffets are great offering a wide variety of hot and cold dishes to choose from. Although the hotel is old, all our rooms have been recently renovated, we are currently renovating the outside of the building and lobby renovations are scheduled to start soon.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to the Blue Waters Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Excellent facilities and friendly staff
Nice food and a wide variety to choose from
Located on the beach and near shopping malls and the casino.
Easy access from and to the city Centre.
Neat rooms with cable television

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Mark L
Dear Mark,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, I am delighted that you enjoyed your time with us.

I am glad that you enjoyed our facilities and the friendly staff, our Food & Beverage outlets offer a great selection and superb quality to choose from. We are also centrally located to all tourist attractions and facilities with easy access to City Centre.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to the Blue Waters Hotel for your next stay.

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 31 July 2014

The food was great, a full hot breakfast was included! But I booked the hotel for the indoor pool and the pool was cold and the pool room was dark. Then the dresser fell on my daughter's foot and the safety locks were not working on the door until maintenance fixed it. There were not many tv channels for kids either. The worst was the 8:30am construction banging n drilling that woke me up while I tried to sleep in. Overall I'm not coming back until the renovation is done.. Also our Suv was too tall for the parking garage and we had to park on the street. Plus the wifi in our room was extremely slow. The management listened to complaints but I felt they should have done more especially after the dresser fell on my child!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank tiffany w
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I would like to apologise for the temporary lapse in service experienced during your recent stay with us, I can assure you that this is most definitely not the norm. I will address your concerns with regards to the pool area with our Maintenance Manager to action improvements in this area. I am saddened by the fact that the wardrobe fell on your daughters foot, this is most definitely not acceptable and I will address this with the Executive Housekeeper in order for her to take corrective action immediately. We are currently in the process of upgrading our WiFi facilities, I am sure that you will note a remarkable improvement on your next stay with us. Please feel free to ask for me on your next stay with us so that I will be able to make sure that your stay with us is a comfortable and memorable one.

Guest Services Liaison

Travellers are raving about these Durban hotels

Edgewater, New Jersey
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We stayed there 2 nights, it was confortable, good breakfast but a bit outdated. They are rennovating it so I am sure it will be better soon. Nice staff and a great view of the ocean. I would stay there again, within walking distance to the casino too.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sherif_barsoum
Dear Sherif,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am so pleased that your time with us was memorable.

We most definitely have prime location on Durban's Golden Mile, our Full English Breakfast Buffets are superb, offering a full selection of hot and cold dishes to choose from.

KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
Reviewed 19 July 2014

What Can I Say, when something is this good, how can one stay away?

I have stayed previously at The Blue Waters Hotel, for a few days. However this time, I only had 24 hours to enjoy its splendor. I assure you I was not disappointing even though there were a few hiccups in the beginning.

Being in the Industry myself for 10 years, I can understand certain grips, hassles, and what it is like to do with a busy hotel and grumpy guests.

Upon check in (forgive me, for I do not remember the ladies name, but she was a beautiful Indian woman with a great smile and even better attitude), anyway upon check in, I was waiting for a young couple on the right to finish or a gentlemen on the left to finish checking in.

Looking around I noticed that they had a lovely welcome station, stocked with wonderful treats ( Red Velvet Cup Cakes, and Peacun Treats ) finished off with a lovely option, of Ice Lemon Water or Good old Winter old Brown Sherry, as I was waiting I asked the Receptionist for a clean glass, and helped myself to some Sherry.

I was quite shocked actually as I stood there and the gentlemen being helped, belted out demands to the receptionist and porter. Demanding to be given a room that was not available, even if the man, walked on water himself, but do you think he would accept the fact? No! Eventually I got the opportunity to be checked in.

While engaging with the lovely lady, and confirming that my dinner was included, I noticed the same gentlemen come back to the desk. To the point where he was leaning almost against me. Something I did not take well too. I give the lady true props for handling the entire situation with a smile.

Unfortunately the first room I walked into smelled intensely of cigarette smoke, odd as all the rooms are non smoking, but obviously the previous guests had not bothered to pay attention to the rules.

I picked up the phone and told the receptionist that I would not be staying in the room, and inquired as to where I could move to. I was then put through to the Duty Manager on Duty, a gentlemen by the name of Juan, who ended up being my saving grace during my stay.

Juan asked me to come back down to reception and meet with him, and he would see what could be done. I was greeted with a great smile, and after a few clicks I was upgraded to a higher floor, with a sea view, worth a thousands words. What an amazing surprise and what a great way to handle the situation. He really went out of he's way on that note, and I really appreciate it.

I LOVED my room, it was stunning, and in future check in's, I will be requesting that specific room.

Unfortunately just before dinner, I tried to have a shower and noted that I had no hot water. Again I phoned Juan, and he was there in a jiffy to fiddle with the shower and within minutes had steaming hot water running for me,

I really was shocked and impressed by the service of every single staff member who I engaged with through out my stay. From a smelly room, to no hot water, and even wifi issues, everything was resolved within minutes,and I knew the Hotel was fully booked at the time, so I really am impressed.

I REALLY enjoyed my breakfast that I had in my last stay, but opted to add Dinner to this stay. Again IMPRESSED by the food provided.

The Buffet as always was clean, the food well presented and the portions over and above. The Chefs on duty were clearly visible at a table in the corner of the room. It was quite a confident stance to see them sitting there, watching how the food was flowing etc.

I enjoyed every aspect of my dinner, and as usual I had a little bit of everything:-)
the only advice id have in this area, is the setup in terms of arrival, being seated and waitress rotation. As the Hotel caters to both outside guests and in house for dinner, when one arrives, there is a check in process, to assure the right people are being charged for their meals. Unfortunately as it starts getting busy, a line forms, and without any clear instruction or signage, people tend to get grumpy as they do not understand why they are not being seated?

There were only 3 visible waitresses on the floor as far as I could tell at the time. Unfortunately this meant that service was slow and also misdirected. After waiting for quite some time, to order a drink, I eventually walked back to the entrance check in, and waited behind a waitress as she fiddled with her cellphone,which was on charge. Once she did turn around and notice me standing there, I was able to order something to drink. Its small things like that, that id advise more control over, as one would not want anything to distract clients from the amazing atmosphere and great food offered by this Hotel.

After dinner, I had wonderful Malva Pudding and then made my way back to my room. Finally I allowed myself to tuck into the wonderfully comfortable bed, and watch some movies. I love the fact that the balcony has a door which you can open and or a window. So one can fall asleep to the sounds of the ocean. This was yet another great feature in the room itself.

I will always come back to the Blue Waters Hotel, if I have the opportunity. It is almost like home.
The staff, the venue, and the view. What could be better.

The lady upon Check In - F/O
Nondu from H/K - House Keeping
Juan from the Management Team
Cindy from the Restaurant, all awesome people, that really stuck out! - F&B

Room Tip: I LOVE room 509 - Just ask for the Bed to be made into a Double :-) Lovely Sea View and all my Photo...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
BlueW, Guest Relations Manager at Blue Waters Hotel, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to reflect on your recent visit to the Blue Waters Hotel. I am delighted that your time with us was memorable although short.

I am so pleased that our receptionist greeted you with a warm welcoming smile and made you feel at home on arrival. Our welcome station has the most delicious treat and refreshments for our guests to enjoy during check in.

I am pleased that the Management Team was able to make your stay with us comfortable although you did experience some problems I am so pleased that we were able to resolve these.

I will be sure to pass your great comments regarding our Food & Beverage facilities to the staff, who will be so happy with the positive feedback. I would also like to apologise for the lapse in service experienced in our restaurant, will address these issues with the Restaurant Manager and take corrective action.

Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
Reviewed 8 July 2014

A pleasantly old-fashioned hotel with modern features and breakfast to die for. It's ideally located close to Moses Mabhida stadium, Kings Park and the beach front. I was on a work assignment covering the Nedbank Cup final at Moses Mabhida and it was a walking distance. I was in the more tranquil part of the Durban beach-front, which didn't feel like I was working.
It had a nostalgic aura about it, when I was youngster my mom, dad & sisters would go down to durbs and have a family vacation and we stayed there in the early 90's.

Its classic elegance at its subtle best.

Room Tip: Sea-facing rooms are what you want but for a cheaper rate the other rooms are just as good.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Tshidiso L
Dear Tshidiso,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am so pleased to know that you enjoyed your time with us.

Our Full English Breakfast Buffet is superb, offering a great variety of hot and cold dishes to choose from. I am delighted that your stay with us was memorable and brought back nostalgic memories for you.