“"The Right Choice"”

Protea Hotel by Marriott Durban Edward
Ranked #12 of 44 Hotels in Durban
Reviewed 11 November 2013

On my first trip to Durban, the Protea Hotel Edward Durban proved to be the right choice. When I research this hotel, there were questions such as proximity to the beach, airport transportation and restaurants recommendations; well this hotel, in particular Ms. Aphiwa answered me within 24 hours to provide the needed information. Ms. Aphiwa also stayed in contact with me before my visit to ensure that all of my questions and requests were answered. This lady provide top notch service that all Five-***** hotels should mirror. Everyone from the concierge, bell desk, restaurant personnel, room attenders and front desk did a fantastic job. Whenever I wanted to go out, I would call to the bell desk and they would inturn arrange transportation and call me when to come down. This hotel service should be what all top notch hotels strive to provide. Definitely, I made the "Right Choice".

Room Tip: Make your plans early, this hotel stays occupied. When you do make your reservations, give a call or...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Carl B

Reviewed 22 October 2013

Very poor service had to wait ages for our meal. Waited over an hour for bottled water to be sent to our room as my husband was sick. Eventually had to go down to reception for it. Some staff at reception rude to guests who we're being perfectly reasonable.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Diane H
Reinhard W, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Durban Edward, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

Dear Diane H

Thank you for providing us with feedback and for posting it on TripAdvisor. It is our goal to meet and exceed GUEST expectations and it is concerning to me that your experience does not resemble this.

We would like to take this opportunity to apologise for the disappointment. We would like to assure you that this is not our normal standard. All GUESTS are very important to us and everything possible is done by our hotel TEAM to ensure that our GUESTS feel as special and valued as they are. I would like to discuss your service experience in more detail, please let me know when would be a convenient time for me to contact you or email me on gm@proteaedward.co.za

Kind regards
Reinhard Walzl

Reviewed 17 October 2013

We visited the PH Edward on 4/10/2013, we were with our kids and a guy walked into the room behind my husband. Apparently he was begging, how do you allow a beggar in and to the 3rd floor as well? what if he was armed? The receptionist refused to transfer us to the manager. It is so scary in the manner they handled this. They take forever to respond. I am so disgusted. apparently the guy was arrested. The guard was asleep in the parking area at 8pm already. Hoping this does not happen to any other quests. Worst of all they are marketing the "New Revamped Golden Mile"

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
11  Thank TERISHA P
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Myself, my husband, and our two small boys (aged 5 and 2) stayed 2 nights in a family room. The room was more than big enough, and so was the bathroom. Well above what we expected. We had an excellent sea view, and the windows are child proofed with the latches high up so we didn't have to worry about the kids opening the windows, which was a big plus. Everything was spotlessly clean inside the room.
The service from staff was excellent. The room service and restaurant staff, as well as housekeeping and the porter were very friendly. And the ladies in the parking garage were so accommodating and went above and beyond, as they actually blocked our parking when we went out during the day, so that we could get the same parking when we came back.
We had the buffet breakfast and it was very plentiful, with lots of choice. We also over the 2 days had Nacho's and the platter for 1 as room service. These were both very delicious. I would definitely recommend these from the menu.
All in all, we had an excellent trip.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank JLizB
Reviewed 9 October 2013

I Spent two nights here with friends who were visiting from Joburg. Rooms are clean with sea view and service is friendly and helpful . Bar is well stocked with live sports . Food comes in two choices buffet or al carte menu, both are good. Would recommend to anyone on a short visit

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank amber2020
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We stayed for 2 nights while in Durban and I have to say it was a very nice hotel. The staff was very friendly and helpful, steps from the beach, within walking distance to Ushaka Marine World. I wouldn't stray too far from the beach front though, pretty seedy if you ask me but I think all of Durban is kind of like that in this area. If you aren't into the English breakfast, skip it, not worth the price, although you can order a la cart which is considerably cheaper. The rooms were clean and nicely decorated. The little veranda with table and chairs was perfect, beautiful views of the ocean. The bathrooms, yes, they need some TLC, but ours was not so bad. It would have been nice to know that the pool was "out of order" but everyone else there seemed to think it was the frozen tundra (it was not cold at all) so perhaps it was just closed for the winter season. It is also much smaller than you think it is going to be but who care, you have the ocean right there, who needs a pool? Use their hotel airport transfer service... The company they use has a very friendly driver who acts as a tour guide along the way. It is worth the cost, which isn't that much anyway. One funny thing that kept happening, no matter where we were one of the employees would wave frantically smiling and saying "Hello Mrs. Cl...!" I don't think I even met the guy. It was more funny than creepy... The staff was excellent. My husband and I kept remarking at how it felt like we were in an Agatha Christie Poirot novel. (The atmosphere...there were no dead bodies turning up I promise!) All in all a good stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marbacca
Reviewed 31 August 2013

had a two night stay on our trip to Africa and we entered the lobby to find grandeur and luxury as was the restaurant and bar. Unfortunately that's where it ended. Our room was clean but dated and the bathroom was woeful. Greasy floor, the sealant round the bath was coming away and black. We washed a few smalls and tried in vain to pull the washing line out. There seemed to be a piece of the door to the balcony cut away which let in the wind and noise from outside. and the hairdryer worked intermittingly, (loose wire) ? Again we found a U.K. socket in the room.
Food was very nice, there is an a la carte menu but we chose the buffet. Lots of choice and as much as you wanted.
later we sat at the bar and I saw a waitress with a clean tray of cutlery drop a few knives and forks onto the floor. She promptly picked them up and put them back on the tray???
The concierge desk were very helpful and told us to go left out of the building rather than right as it is safer if we wanted a stroll.
Views from the hotel are very nice as it is on the seafront. Bar is nice and relaxing with sport on the TV's and the bartender Mannie is most helpful. If you want a steak get a cab to Butcher Boys restaurant, I had a T-bone, must have been 40mm thick, delicious.
Breakfast is again buffet style and plenty of it but let down by the service. My partner asked for tea and got coffee so I asked for it to be replaced by tea and she poured another coffee.! ask for breakfast tea and you should get what you want.
There seemed to be a lot of business people there but I would have thought there were better hotels in the area.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple