“Lovely stay once again”

Ranked #10 of 43 Hotels in Durban
Port Shepstone
“Lovely stay once again”
Reviewed 5 March 2014

I always stay here when I am in Durban on business. I love the location right on the beach. The rooms are spotless, the linens are good quality. I like the breakfast. The hotel feels like home away from home.
A mini bar would have been great. there is a fridge but it is empty. A chocolate or chips craving could be easily solved with a mini bar. I always thought the margin on these justified the odd person who doesn't come clean but with a credit card on file I am at a loss to understand why. I bring my own coffee plunger because instant coffee is not my cup of tea but a minor inconvenience.

Room Tip: Choose a sea facing room with a balcony and sit and watch the world go by on the busy promenade.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank chaniaPortShepstone

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Norwich, England
Reviewed 1 March 2014

First, let me commend Freddy the concierge: knowledgeable, articulate, and very helpful: he went to great lengths to make sure that our transfers to the railway were properly booked and timed. The other good things about the hotel are its location, right on top of the North Beach attractions (great to see so many people enjoying themselves so thoroughly); its public rooms (the dining room in particular retains its grand beauty); and the views from the rooms (I was lucky enough to have a top-floor room whose balcony looked out over the ocean).

But oh, the service. Willing enough, but woefully under-trained. Check in seemed exceptionally slow and complicated (why did I have to fill in the registration form twice, just hours apart? why did they need to photocopy our passports on two separate occasions?), and service on the veranda during the day (though not, it must be said, at night) was slapdash.

I should speak of the dining room: as I say, beautiful to look at, and serving a perfectly decent breakfast; but whatever you do, avoid dinner on Saturday night. We left after an hour and a half, having managed to get a bowl of soup and a plate of beetroot. It's extremely badly arranged and inadequately staffed; combine this with diners -- the place was packed -- who have no idea of queuing, very sharp elbows for pushing into line, and gargantuan appetites, and the result is a cross between George Grosz and Gustave Dore.

Well, that's off my chest. As two nights between the Oyster Box and Rovos Rail, it made an interesting contrast.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Western Ireland, Ireland
Reviewed 22 February 2014

We flew from Port Elizabeth to Durban and this was our overnight hotel. Its an older hotel but well maintained. Check in was fast. The room was a little jaded but had everything we needed for overnight stay. We had a comfortable nights sleep. Also Good shower etc.

Breakfast was the usual which we enjoyed. We did not eat dinner at the hotel on the night of arrival as the group had agreed to eat in a local restaurant.

The public area of the hotel and the Restaurant did look nice. I was sorry I did not eat in the Restaurant as it did look nice. The hotel is right opposite the lovely beach in Durban. We had a lovely balcony and a great view of the sea. We did not have long to explore as we arrived late. We were tired after a day travelling. Hotel was ok for overnight stay. We were booked in under part of a group tour.

Room Tip: perhaps a higher up room. Nice views
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2014

We have stayed here twice, once in 2012 & in February 2014. Both stays were excellent. Breakfast is superb, staff are friendly and the rooms are nice, clean, spacious and well appointed.
Service can be a bit slow in the restaurant in the evening, but food is good. Well located for all the beachfront activities, a 20 minute walk from U-Shaka water world park and a 10 minute cab ride to the casino, which has loads of good restaurants. As a bonus, there is a Shoprite supermarket and liquor store within 200 metres walk.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony looking out to the beach if you do not mind the extra noise.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Roy M
Dammam, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 18 February 2014

On my first visit to Durban, I stayed at the Protea Edward in Oct 13. I recently returned in Jan 14 and stayed here again. The 2nd stay was just as good as the first. Although my main contact Ms. Aphiwe was heading out of vacation, she met with me before she left and ensured my stay would be as good as the first. She even checked in on me while she was on vacation. The front desk group remembered me and addressed me anytime that they saw me; I even saw a few of the young ladies one evening when I was out and about, they addressed me by name and asked if I needed any directions. Don't just take my word, stay here and enjoy the hospitality. The breakfast is fantastic.

Room Tip: If you stay here and it's not what you expected, contact Aphiwe and let her know your concerns.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Maastricht, The Netherlands
Reviewed 24 January 2014

During our one month family road trip through South Africa, we stayed in Durban for three days to visit some friends.

The location is not bad at the beach, but not great during the winter season with the wind howling by your window and balcony.
The hotel is clean, the rooms are very good, the food is good and the service is very friendly. We have our thoughts about Durban, and they made it clear to us that the city is not safe for tourists, especially without a guide.

DO NOT BELIEVE ANYTHING THE CONCIERGE SAYS, HE RIPS YOU OFF!
Due to these safety concerns, the concierge at the time (an older Indian man) booked a 'special tour' for us with a taxi which would take us around all the sites of Durban for 900 Rand, this would take the entire afternoon. The driver was NOT supposed to leave us.

The 'special taxi' turned out to be a beat up old car with a young driver. He was very nice but a bit strange. He drove us around town a bit, stopped at the harbour for 5 minutes so we could take a picture, then drove us to the Indian market where he dumped us for an hour (!!!) even though he was not supposed to leave us alone. The sign at the entrance saying 'enter at your own risk' and that they were not responsible for any 'theft, injury or loss of life' did NOT make us feel better. Thankfully he came back and picked us up as he had promised (thank god) and we drove to the soccer stadium where we stayed for a few minutes (we couldn't go up for various reasons) and then he drove us back to our hotel, cashed the 900 Rand from the concierge (whom we had to pay up front) and was off (1 1/2 hours after we had started). The concierge was obviously in on this as he was nowhere to be seen for the rest of the day and avoided us the other days. Our local friends were shocked.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Asagineechan
Folkestone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Stayed in March 2013 for 3 nights. On the golden Mile opposite the beach - the Hotel was very clean and comfortable. (They have smoking rooms if you request them). The staff are very friendly and knowledgeable. The only meals I had were the breakfasts which were high quality hot and cold. When I went out for dinner in the evenings the concierge made sure to order me a taxi and make sure it collected me. Will definitely stay there again

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo