“Awesome breakfast, friendly staff, slightly retro feel”

Gooderson Tropicana Hotel
Ranked #30 of 43 Hotels in Durban
Reviewed 16 August 2010

Appreciated the friendly staff - lots of smiles, helpful suggestions and a few jokes thrown into the mix. Created a relaxed atmosphere and made us feel at home :-)
One of the best things was being able to open the big window of the room and hear and feel the sea breeze - so make sure you ask for a sea facing room!

Breakfast was a welcome surprise, huge buffet of hot food - with a chef cooking eggs to your liking! Fresh fruit, cheese platter and pastries along with the expected cereals etc.

Only complaints were small - a hairdryer attached to the wall which had so little ooomph it took me 30 min to dry my hair! (be good to have some quality hairdryers available at reception) And scratchy bed covers which made it a little uncomfortable to lye on the bed and relax .... (easily fixed though, just pulled them off)

Overall enjoyed the retro feel - felt like I might have been in a late 70's movie... although it was the hospitality from the statff that made it!

Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 22 March 2010

I was unsure about staying in this hotel after reading some of the reviews, but I needn't have worried.
We stayed 2 nights and found it a pleasant place to be. The staff were all friendly and helpful and the concierge told us how to keep safe, what attractions to visit and recommended an excellent place to eat.
The hotel's own bar did good value meals and we had dinner the first night and lunch the next day in there.The breakfast was good too.
There was free internet which is a rare thing to find in South Africa.
The only downside was that the road was all dug up and closed at the front of the hotel so we had difficulty finding the place when we arrived. This no doubt will be finished for the world cup.
The car park was in an adjacent building across the street.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 November 2009

we had booked to stay here for 2 nights.The room we were given was at the side of the hotel-no one else was staying in this wing, but the room next door and two other rooms were left open all night with the lights and tv on. the corridor was dark and dingy and the entrance to the lift was worse.it reminded us of a Blackpool guest house room 30 years ago-old and badly needing renovated.-we had not been in Durban for 20 years and it had changed greatly.We did not feel safe outside the hotel and left after one night to return to the comfort of Port Elizabeth were the beachfront is still pleasurable to walk .The car park is in a building next door with an armed guard downstairs and on the second floor were we had to park.We did inform the management that we were leaving early they did ask us to reconsider staying but we had made our minds up to leave.We travel to South Africa at least 3 times a year and would not recommend staying at this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple

An Agoda Traveller
Reviewed 25 June 2009

• Stayed: June 2009
Reviewed 21 November 2008

Here is experience of my one week stay at Tropicana in November 2008.

I have been a little bit scared having read not so optimistic reviews on this site. However this is unjustified in my opinion.

First of all don't be mistaken by a not so attractive exterior look of the hotel which is a 1980-s or something building: inside it is perfectly clean.

My room had a double bed, TV, safe box, tea making facilities, air conditioning and large bathroom with a real bath. there is a thick rug on the floor to fee you comfortable. Double bed was extremely good even if really fat peope could have some problems sleeping together in, it is not really king size. Nevertheless the matras was perfect, the sheets and towels are changed daily.

The breakfast is more than adequate with a large choice of hot and cod dishes: meat, sausages, eggs, potatoes, ham and cheese, cereals, fruits and pastries. It is buffet so you can eat as much as you like.

What I liked the most in this hotel are the people: they are really friendly and save no effort to make you feel comfortabe and do as much as they can in order to satisfy you. One exempe: the safe box in my room has been broken. I asked to fix it but they said they need to call an external company. Frankly speaking I thought it wouldn't be done because they offered me to put my money into the sealed pocket which they put into the manager safe box. so I thought it was a standard procedure. How big was my surprise when the next day I arrived at the hotel around 1 pm to find out that there was someone waiting for me with a new safe box. Manager Thami who is most helpful person even offered my a free lunch in order to let me wait while they were installing it. Thank you Thami. It shows they really want to satisfy customer as far as they could.

Area around the hotel is quite safe during the day, not so much later in the night (from 23.00) as I have been told. I can't confirm nor infirm this because I thought it would be more prudent not to try: one evening around midnight two young black guys said me in the hotel elevator "Don't tell us you are going to go out NOW". so I guess there might be a real danger if you are white to go out late.

I think this hotel is a perfect pace to stay in the center of Durban and on the beach and will not hesitate a second to recommend it to anyone or to stay here once again. ne only thing they need to improve is the business center: a one free computer is simpy not enough for such a big hotel. Management coud offerd more computers or a free wi-fi which would be a definite distinctive advantage of this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank jhc019
Reviewed 19 August 2008

We (father & teenage son) spent 3 nights here, having made all arrangements for Durban through the hotel. It turned into a real debacle - the first transfer from the airport to the hotel didn't turn up (though later claimed that he did); the hotel had the booking but claimed it had not been paid for; the return transfer to the airport turned up but again claimed not to have been paid for. All the money had been transferred from Australia to the hotel and receipt acknowledged weeks before, but on arrival they insisted that I pay for the hotel again. What can you do?

The actual hotel bill was ultimately worked out and I was refunded before I left. That was an experience in itself - for some reason, they couldn't refund it back on the credit card which I had used to pay the second time, so I had to be paid in Rand/cash (lucky it was not our last night in South Africa), but reception had insufficient cash so I had to wait another day for it. I have since been refunded for at least one transfer, but suspect not the other, and have given up.

The hotel itself was not too bad - a bit run down, but you get what you pay for, and I've stayed in much worse. TV, desk, coffee/tea, ensuite, ok beds; quite a large room, very light (not dark and dingy). Some staff were helpful, others were more interested in tips, but overall the staff were not unpleasant. It is well located along the Golden Mile beachfront. I've stayed in that area before and seen real violence, so you should be careful, but it was uneventful this time. We had a good view of the beach from our room. Breakfast was pretty good - your usual hot & cold breakfast buffet, with eggs made to order. We had a couple of drinks at the bar.

We spent time at the nearby (short taxi ride) Suncoast Casino complex - some good restaurants and some average restaurants; lost money at the casino and saw a new release movie there. We also ate at McRib, just a short walk up the road from the Tropicana. The Tropicana is also reasonably accessable to uShaka Marine World, and we visited Gateway (the huge shopping mall), but needed a cab to get there and back (arranged by reception).

I'm not sure I'd stay here again - whilst the location is familiar, my experience with the hotel in terms of organisation left me disappointed to say the least.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank seagullrob