Royal Hotel
  • Free Internet
Hilton Durban(Durban)
SUN1 Durban(Durban)
  • Beachfront
All reviewscity halllounge areaenjoyed my staydouble bedreception staffroom was spaciousushaka marine worldplayhouse
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 14 November 2006

If you like 1970 furnishings...dismal decor...staff who haven't a clue what they are doing...filthy bedroom windows...useless air conditioning...badly lit bathrooms...and dreadful food served in a massive dining room with no other customers in it, then this is the hotel for you. I didn't think you could eat badly in South Africa.
The Royal changed that. The hotel boasts 'a number of heads of state have visited the hotel' I just hope they didn't have to spend a night there. The kindest thing would be to put it out of it's misery and turn the building into an apartment block.
Don't stay there!

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled with friends
5  Thank Ian Phillips
Reviewed 21 September 2006

Stayed at the Royal in early September. While it is obvious the hotel (as is true of much of South Africa) is past it's prime, I found the place clean and well kept, and the staff helpful and courteous. There is an ongoing effort to upgrade the location, including the downstairs grill. I would gladly stay at the hotel again, and plan on doing so when next my business takes me to Durban.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank NVTraveller2
Reviewed 8 August 2006

Advertised as recently refurbished, but in reality more like 20 years ago, they were dirty - the bathroom had not been cleaned before we checked in , dust everywhere. Staff not helpful or friendly and management seemed disinterested . Phone in room did not work and took ages for it to be replaced /repaired.
Avoid at all costs!

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank KYLE64
Reviewed 27 February 2006

We stayed at the Royal for 2 nights during a 2 week stay in South Africa, and the service here was the worst of all the hotels we stayed at. Not to mention that their AC vent pumps air from the first floor all the way to the top, so those of us on the 12th floor were very uncomfortable in the humid Durban weather. They had no still water as there was a problem with their suppliers, and their internet access did not work. The staff was not very knowledgeable on sights around Durban and could not offer much advice on what to do around the city. Comparatively speaking, we were dissatisfied and disappointed with The Royal, as Frommer's had touted this as the only 5-star hotel in Durban.

• Stayed: February 2006
5  Thank NJLove2Travel
A TripAdvisor Member
Taiwan
Reviewed 4 November 2005

I stayed at the Royal for 3 nights in this Sep because I attended a international congress at famous ICC (also went to uShaka, a good place). At first I was happy and had expectation because the introduction on their website attracted me and the congress report us a cheaper price than usual. When I arrived, maybe I was spoiled by the truely 5 star hotels in Captown(the same price as the Royal), I felt very disappointed. The hotel lobby and elevator, room were very old, out-dated. The light and furnitures had some brokened. I call to communicate with the manager. He responded quickly and compensated with changing a bigger room for me - I think some of the best rooms in their hotel. It was a corner suite, with large living room and a standard bedroom with bathroom, a very big shoecase. The housekeeping and facility in bathroom were not good. But the resturant on the top floor was very good, with good views and traditional SA foods. In conclusion, I regret that I didn't choose Hilton (modern and very near to ICC) although they gave me room upgrade.

• Stayed: September 2005, travelled on business