“My usual spot”

Ranked #14 of 43 Hotels in Durban
Bryanston, South Africa
“My usual spot”
Reviewed 13 June 2013 via mobile

This is a great hotel to stay at for business travels. They have board rooms available for use aswell as its a great location close to kings park and mosis madiba stadiums, which means that its perfect for after the game. The food is always great and the rooms are huge.

Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank DavidMaree
JerodDurban, General Manager at The Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, 24 April 2015
Dear David Maree,

A rather belated thank you for the review, we have had some technical challenges but all sorted and up and running again

Your patronage is most welcome and the feedback rewarding,

GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Having seen some reviews after booking (on advice of a family member living in Durban) we were not expecting much, and I AM fussy about where I stay! But we were pleasantly surprised. The staff were all very pleasant and helpful, the room fine (though view was over carpark), seemed to have been decorated fairly recently, was clean and comfortable, wifi was free, breakfast of the usual South African buffet style. Cooked food was (as we have found all over the country during our travels) generally lukewarm, but an omelette can be cooked to order, so these were hot. Bar facilities nice BUT everything shuts down at 10pm, including room service! So be warned, if you would like a drink after this time, get it to take to your room! We didn't eat dinner in the restaurant, but met family in Hops bar which is in the hotel grounds, and had a very nice meal there, and the atmosphere was good. From the point of view of location, it is about a half hour stroll to the sea front promenade or the stadium.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
JerodDurban, General Manager at The Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, 23 April 2015
Dear Pob-Bob,

Thank you for the wonderful feedback, I apologise that this is a belated response, we appreciate your patronage and look forward to your next visit,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2013

I had the great pleasure of staying at the Riverside Hotel from 13th-19th May. I was working on a job in Durban; I travel all over the world and stay in many different hotels, mostly 5 star. I was slightly dreading my stay, having read previous reviews. On arrival, the door to my room didn't shut properly, so I was instantly upgraded me to a larger room. The staff were fabulous, especially at breakfast and on the desk. There was a very eccentric but amenable gentleman running the bar (quite a character!). The food was great and very reasonably priced, and so was the bar. The rooms were clean, the beds and cushions were very comfortable; all in all a good experience. But, I wouldn't recommend the pool - it's a bit small... Not sure if this hotel is suitable for children.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Dear Simon B

I apologise for the lateness of my response, due to some technical challenges, we are having to play catch up now,

We appreciate your feedback and welcome you back to the property in the not too distant future,

Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
Reviewed 15 May 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at the Riverside before, many years ago, and I remembered it being better in terms of the decor and general feel but that was at least 10 years ago and the fact that nothing seems to have changed is in itself the problem. Everything seems dated... the bedding is worn and stained and the pillows are lumpy and have lost all their form. If you want a good nights sleep, you're not going to get it here! The walls are so thin that I could hear the notifications coming through on my neighbors mobile phone, not to mention every conversation he had at, the top of his voice, most of which happened at 4am!
This time I stayed here because I was attending Indaba 2013 (tourism exhibition) and the Riverside was the choice of my colleagues at Cape Town Tourism so although it seemed quite expensive at the time of booking, the Riverside is perfectly positioned and had the benefit of a free shuttle service. I would however not recommend it to anyone, regardless. The shuttles, although very convenient, started their engines in the car park, outside the bedroom window, an hour before departure each morning which was terribly annoying as I was forced to sleep with my windows open due to the fact that my air-conditioner was so noisy that I had to switch it off so the noise of an idling bus outside my window was not a welcome one, especially since I had spent most nights listening to my inconsiderate neighbor 'entertain' his lady friends and talk at the top of his voice to everyone else.
So if you need to sleep at night, the Riverside is not the hotel to stay in! It's Desperately in need of a major refurbishment which has to include soundproofing of walls and inter-leading doorways, air conditioning units and bedding.
Some other observations:
Its Not child friendly as there is nowhere for them to play, except the corridors, and there is no cover or fence around the pool area.
Free WiFi is limited to 200mb per day which by today's standard is simply not enough... When will SA hotels learn that free WiFi, especially in a business focused hotel, should be mandatory?

I WILL NOT Be back at the Riverside!

Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Grant_Newton
Dear Grant,

A rather belated thank you for the review, we have had some technical challenges and are now only able to respond.

Your review is without a doubt most accurate and correct, the good news is that we have begun the refurbishment program as suggested, and I am pleased to say we currently have 58 of 169 new rooms, with a program running to end of 2017 to complete all rooms.

We have created a kids play room on the lower level and have or are just about to open a small gym facility, too on the lower section, Wi-Fi is free and up to 500mb per day.

We take your recommendations seriously and regard your patronage most highly,

GM

Travellers are raving about these Durban hotels

Boulder, CO
Reviewed 25 April 2013

We stayed at the Riverside as it was close to the home of some friends we wanted to visit while we were in Durban. My husband had stayed there on his own a few years back and had found it reasonable. Getting the hotel to actually take our business was an effort in itself as I never received a reply from their website automated information request. Then I didn't get replies to follow-up emails. It took a phone call from our Durban friends to finally get a confirmed reservation.

Check-in was very easy and the staff were welcoming. Room locations a little confusing as room numbers starting with 3 were actually on the 5th floor - or maybe it was the other way around. Good sized room with a great view out to the Indian Ocean, you just needed to ignore the freeway and suburban landscape in between, but it was still impressive. Good king-size bed with decent linens and comfortable pillows. Bedside lights were also good. We had a bottle of wine left for us - not sure why, as it was not a gift from our friends. Bathroom was small and rather cramped, with no hooks for hanging used towels. I also carefully separated used and unused towels as requested for reuse, but they were all replaced anyway.

The room (and much of the hotel) did not seem to be professionally created - very little hotel information, the desk lamp plug did not fit any of the nearby outlets and the safe had been locked and neither we nor anyone else could open it. However, the manager on duty allowed us to use one of the staff lockers behind reception for our valuables, and even gave us the only key.

Breakfast and other dining was inside or in a covered outdoor area. The breakfast buffet was adequate and, if you knew where to look, you could get some cooked-to-order items. The wait staff were pleasant and almost efficient. Some of the dinner and lunch items from the menu were very good (peri peri chicken livers), while others were merely average (hamburger).

There was a bar near the outside dining area - the name escapes me, but it was a smallish glass building. They have a 50% off Happy Hour every day, and there were often some very happy people (non-guests) in there. In fact, the hotel did seem to be encouraging local people to use some of the facilities and I'm not sure if it was them who were still having noisy fun outside after midnight on Saturday. There was a smallish swimming pool landscaped to appear natural, and the children loved sliding down the "rocks" into the pool. A small terrace area next to the pool was not very sunny for most of the day, but quite pleasant.

There is a full-service spa in a separate building on the property, but I did not experience it. I had asked about a treadmill, as I was unsure of nearby places to run on my own. I was told there was one in the gym, which I eventually found - a rather run-down little building for which I had to get a key, but it contained only the most extensive and serious looking weight-lifting equipment I've ever seen. Not a treadmill in sight.

The front desk people were very helpful when I was trying to find out what the problem with I iPhone was and two of them gave it a go, although unsuccessfully. They also steered me toward a phone store in a nearby Mall.

A word of warning about taxi service to and from the Riverside (not their responsibility). The driver we got at the Airport quoted a rough price of 300 rand and it ended up being close to 400 on the meter. He took us the "long way" round, mostly freeway. When we left, the Mozzie's Cab driver didn't know how to open the taxi's trunk and then had to be told by one of the porters how to get to the airport - not very encouraging, except that the way we went was much shorter and only 200 rand.

So, would I stay at the Riverside again? Yes, with altered expectations. A little on the Fawlty Towers side, but without Basil. I noticed in the lobby they were selling Time Shares for the hotel, so maybe that was why the property didn't seem to be run very professionally.

Room Tip: Rooms with a good view can experience some bar/restaurant noise at night. Rooms on the other side o...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank marleydog
Dear Marleydog,

So a rather belated thank you for the review, and it will definitely now seem totally "fawlty towerish", but in all seriousness we had a slight technical challenge and have only been able to recover in the last 14 days, so I am responding to reviews sent in 2009 onwards.

Your review is essential for us to learn from, you have been most detailed and accurately so, we will and may possibly even have remedied some of the shortfalls.

Thank you for this review it has been most helpful

Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 21 March 2013

My family and i checked in to riverside at 10am the atmosphere was quiet warm as ,i think it was the restaurant manager which greeted us and told the porter to help us with our luggage.My hubby and my 3 boys went for supper at the restaurant ,including me.Again the manager was warm and approached us asking if we would like to order,but my 3 teenage boys were complaining that the music were old school and it was too soft.My hubby saw the manager that was quiet friendly being shouted at by the G.M. i am not going to name the manager because i didnt get the chance but he had a black thick moustache

Amily Smith

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Amily S
Dear AmilyS

Thank you for the review, we apologise for the delayed response and assure you that your comments are taken seriously and will be or have already been dealt with, I don't have and never have had a thick black moustache, but I know very well of whom you spoke about.

mumbai
Reviewed 17 March 2013

staff never bothered about the guest.
small rooms, low ceilings, bad ventilation.,smell of drains in the bathroom, no shaver socket, shower and basin that took very long to produce warm water, basin tap was not fixe properly. no tissues, broken door latch. The towels were clean but old and worn out. The split air conditioner was ineffective, I was glad my stay coincided with cooler weather. The bed was clean and comfortable despite the worn out lumpy foam pillows and I slept well. Just about the only good point was the good reading lights each side of the bed.

The place has the feel of a formerly good hotel built in the seventies, which is being starved of funds by the owners and is consequently in dire need of modernization and attention to detail To be avoided unless you really have no other choice. Even the dingy Protea would be better than this.

Room Tip: Stay when you have not better options available...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank harishzdoshi
JerodDurban, General Manager at The Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, 17 April 2015
Dear HarisHdoshi

We have noticed that no-one responded to your review, so apologies please on behalf of the team.

You will be glad to know that we have embarked on a full hotel refurbishment, and on your next visit will notice the aesthetic improvements,