“Nice hotel for a short break...”

The Riverside Hotel
Ranked #9 of 43 Hotels in Durban
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Stayed here for a night while on business in Durban. Manager Mr Solomon was at reception when we were checking in so we were warmly welcomed. The room allocated was fairly basic but the view was lovely. Bathroom was basic with old style bath tub with built in shower head. Small kitchenette but comfortable enough for a short stay. Breakfast was not bad. Used the same restaurant for lunch. Menu is either Pizzas or a very small selection of meals. Parking bays are a bit small. Overall a great place for a short stay...

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank AzTee
JerodDurban, General Manager at The Riverside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2015

Dear AzTee

Thank you for the wonderful feedback, we look forward to seeing you back soon,

Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

Thank you Gerald and your team and bring back style to the Riverside Hotel in Durban.

I was staying at one of the new 5th floor renovated rooms. What an amazing city and ocean view but what's the most important, a comfortable bed, great finishing, and the room size is excellent.

Having dinner and breakfast at the restaurant, very good service and quality of food I surely will tell others to book the Riverside Hotel whilst in Durban on business.

Also had a nice time at the spa, take the time to have a sauna and I had a nice neck and shoulder massage after a very busy day it was amazing.

Thank you very much to Roger the reservation manager manager who made it possible to get me a very nice room at new 5th floor rooms. It was an amazing stay.

Ralf

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank RalfDurban

Dear Ralf,

Thank you Sir, much appreciated rather belated too, we have been sending private messages not corresponding online, Roger?

See you soon Ralf

Regards

Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

We were disappointed upon arrival because the staff at the desk told us they were sending something special to our room for our honeymoon but we got nothing. They should have just congratulated and nothing promised.
We had a good time in the swimming pool and had a drink we charged to our room. But the waiter came 3 hours later to our room and told us his shift was finished and he wanted his tip! Incredible!
At the restaurant in the evening, we had some food really too spicy although we had asked for something very mild. We couldn't finish it. Our waitress was very nice.
I wouldn't recommend this hote l.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank freede01

Dear Freed1

This must have been most disappointing and inexcusable, our most sincere apologies in this regard, I understand how upset you must have been

We thank you for the feedback and use it to improve our services and standards,

Reviewed 24 May 2014

I am always apprehensive about smaller hotel groups as I am never sure of what to expect. This hotel turned out to be good value. Booked a suite via an online third party booking site. On arrival, check in was prompt and everything explained to my satisfaction. Room was clean with a separate sitting area and bedroom. Furniture and fittings were normal basic hotel, not luxurious, but were clean and functional. View from room had river and sea views, but also incorporated views of adjacent buildings that detracted from the overall view. The décor of the hotel was inviting and modern, but above all clean. Service was excellent throughout the hotel. Food at restaurant was good and adequate for my personal needs. If I had to stay in the area for business again, I would consider this hotel provided pricing provided value.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank private1_90732

Dear Private1

Thank you for the wonderful feedback, it is rather belated but thank you nonetheless,

kind Regards

Reviewed 17 March 2014

I had a great time with my family. room were to the T. Reception and reservations was very helpful. Pool was clean and well maintained. Service was great all round. Location and view is excellent. i would recommend Riverside Hotel and Spa to all my colleagues and family visiting Durban. Keep up the good standard guys.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank mitchellreddy

Dear Mr Reddy,

A rather belated thank you for the wonderful feedback, we have been responding directly and not online, our apologies.

Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

I have never received such bad sevice at a hotel reception desk, I haven't even seen the room yet, but will report again, they also sent my friends to a room where there were still people in...... The outside bar area was also in shambles, with no change available

Stayed: February 2014
3  Thank Gustav M

Dear Gustav,

I must apologise profusely, I recall this incident as I was on duty, it was a very busy Saturday Morning if I'm not mistaken, and your arrival was early, with a lot of guests on the pool deck, being that as it may, there is no reason for poor service from any person, and my team have been dealt with accordingly. We appreciate your feedback and have learnt from the experience.

Reviewed 6 February 2014

I've been to this hotel twice and I see it as good value for money, but it needs a few tweaks.
Room is a bit pricey, but which hotel room service is not? But I must add, the food arrived in record time and was lovely.
Reception and hallways are VERY hot!! Where's the air-conditioning??
Rooms are nice and big and clean, it gave me ample space to relax.
Aircon in room 437 is very noisy.
Bathrooms are very dated, but clean.
I was less than pleased to not find a two point plug in my room. Had to live with a flat cellular phone battery, not cool.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank MrsvW2012

Dear MrsVw2012

Thank you for the kind feedback, we also hear your concerns and apologise for any service delivery issues experienced. The hotel is being refurbished as we speak with 58 rooms completed, including the supply of two pin plug points in all rooms.