“Great tour company with knowledgeable guides”

Country and Coastal Touring - Day Tours
Ranked #12 of 72 Tours in Durban
More attraction details
Owner description: Tours conducted throughout KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. We offer a variety of tours from wildlife safaris, guided battlefield experiences, photography tours, hiking in the Drakensberg, mountain-biking adventures, golfing tours and more. All tours undertaken by qualified and experienced guides.
England
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great tour company with knowledgeable guides”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

A great tour company. I was looking to do a couple of day tours from Durban in the days after the Comrades marathon. I found some difficulty as a solo traveller as not all tour companies were reasonable in this regard but Country and Coastal Touring helpfully identified some tours that I could join. I did a tour of the Valley of 1000 Hills with a guide called Charles - he knew the area very well - Zulu culture, wildlife and geography. The other tour was to the Hluhluwe Umfolozi park - quite a long drive from Durban but well worth the trip. Our guide was Shelldon and he knew very well where to look for the animals. We saw rhino, elephant, lion, buffalo, crocodile, hippo, warthog, impala, kudu, giraffe, zebra, eagle, vulture and many other species, including a massive spider. I am a vegan and suitable food was provided on both tours. I can't fault the service that was offered.

Visited June 2014
3 Thank Nellyvamplew

Davis, California
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Fantastic and extemely appreciative!!!”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I am eternally grateful to Charles of Country and Coastal Touring! Here is why. I had a unique request and Country and Coastal Touring completely came through for me! I wanted to follow and meet up with my husband during the 2014 Comrades Marathon run from Pietermaritzburg to Durban (56 miles). I figured it would be an 8 hour day event. Because of my concern for driving the route (crowds, parking, multiple road closures, me not knowing the roads and not wanting to drive on the left) I decided to contact some tour companies to see if they would take me. Just about all of the tour companies that I contacted via email told me a variation of “No, cannot do this because roads are too difficult to handle on this race day.” But then……. Enter Charles from Country and Coastal Touring. His email suddenly gave me hope! We corresponded via email multiple times (he was very responsive) and worked out “possibly” meeting my husband in three locations on the route. Please understand that 18,000 people start this race, so finding my husband would not be an easy task. Well, to make a long story short, I met up with my husband “5” times (2 extra) on the Comrades run (Thank you Charles!) and learned a great deal about South Africa from the wonderful conversations I had with Charles. It was truly a memorable day for me and I really think Charles of Country and Coastal Touring was a paramount reason for it being exceptional!

Visited June 2014
4 Thank jjjad128103012
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great game tour with Sheldon”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We had a 1 day safari&zolo tour.
We went to Tala reserve and to see the Zolo tribe. Shelfon was highly educated about the different animals and about the area in general. Great views, exciting experience. Highly recommended.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Iriszar
Los Angeles, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Glorious day”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I arranged a trip with Shelldon to Hluhluwe Imfolozi Park. I had to pay an extra charge since I was a single rider on the trip, but it was clearly explained from the beginning and stated on the website and the company was keen on eventually waive the extra fee if somebody else would have joined.
Having said that, the luxury of being on a solo trip also paid off in the end, as I had a private tour guide and got to choose when and where to stop and where to go. We stayed in the park till it was literally about to close and Shelldon was relentless in animal tracking and spotting throughout the day.
Shelldon is very knowledgeable on both natural cultural aspects of the park, the history of Zululand and the culture of its people and the history of South Africa in general. I enjoyed talking to him and learned many things along the way. We spotted many animals in the park, 3 out of the Big 5 (no lions, nor leopard, but with a bonus Cheetah!), many giraffes, gnus, and nialas, even a crocodile and many more.
It was a glorious day!

Visited May 2014
1 Thank alexrex
Sydney Australia
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“A most wonderful day that was only slightly dampened by the downpour”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We were going to be in Durban for one day only off the Queen Mary 2 and I wanted us to do a tour that was not the usual tourist thing. I came upon the tours by Country and Coastal Touring and sent a query. Got a quick reply from Charles, outlining what he could do for us and the price. I had mentioned the valley of 1000 Hills and we got exactly what we wanted. After a bit of confusion on the dock due to the authorities not allowing Charles near the gangplank we finally found him. Unfortunarly, we also brought with us the rain, but no problem. On the drive which takes about 60 minutes, the rain really started pelting down and for a short time it looked like we might have to cancel. Undaunted, Charles made a phone call to his Zulu guide to see what conditions were like and on we went. We got to the iSithumba valley and meet with our local Zulu guide. Whilst it had stopped raining, it was still too wet to do a walk along the river, and rather than a walk to the "sangoma" (traditional healer) we drove this short distance. Fascinating to hear the stories about the work of the healer. We then drove on further to the village where we were supposed to visit the huts of the chief and his wives as well as the eating tent but the slippery slope meant it wasn't safe to walk down. While we were sitting there being given more insight into the rural community of mainly Zulu nationality, explaining their cultural way of life, a man approached the vehicle and we were honoured by a visit from the local chief of the village. Apparently he had never done this before. He did not speak (or had little) English so the conversations were translated by our young guide. A light lunch was available at Hillbillies, which is in a curio center, What better to choose from the menu but the Bunny Chow, consisting of hollowed out bread filled with stew of lamb, chicken or beef and vegetables. Also on offer was deliciously brewed local coffee. Wonderful was talking to the owner and his wife. Thereafter we proceeded to PheZulu Safari park who have a typical Zulu village setting. You were given a guided tour through the area and then attended a traditional Zulu dance. By this time the skies had opened up again and Charles produced wet weather capes to keep us at least partially dry. There was also a guided tour of the reptile park which has crocodiles and species of snakes, indigenous to the region. We were offered to hold some of the snakes (which we declined), then waded back to the bus and the journey back to Durban. Charles took us for a drive through Durban when we got back and we went to the Moses Mabhida Stadium and Charles also took us along the waterfront where the markets had been to see if any of the stalls were still open as we were looking for some shirts. Charles became involved in the bargaining process which we were grateful for. Then back to the ship. I would really recommend this journey to anyone who wants to get away from the pure tourist sites. Charles is most accommodating and we had such a wonderful day.

Visited January 2014