“Worst place I have ever stayed”

Lapa Lighthouse B&B
Lapa Lighthouse B&B
Ranked #127 of 246 Durban B&B and Inns
“Worst place I have ever stayed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

I am currently staying at the Lapa Lighthouse in uMhlanga, Kwa-Zulu Natal and I regret the day I contacted this place to enquire about availability.
To start with, the owner Liande could hardly give me any details on the room and what I could expect when I arrive except that our room was on the third floor up two flights of stairs. When I told her that I am 6 months pregnant and the stairs might be difficult, her response was "its good exercise"
The room is tiny, the bed is a double (a six year old might be comfortable on this bed) some of the lights don't work and the best we get offered is 1 roll of single ply cheap toilet paper. When I asked for more toilet paper, I was told that it is self catering and not included in the R1400 rate per night.
With regards to self catering…I have a bar fridge, microwave, kettle and toaster. A few plates and cutlery finish the list of my supplies.
The staff have also been told to turn off the air-conditioner when they service the room. I am sure that my R1400 at least covers the cost to run the aircon for the day. There is nothing worse then climbing two flights of old wooden stairs to get good exercise and be welcomed by a scorching hot room in the middle of summer.
Servicing the room - there is an "I love Hooters" sticker half stuck on the wall that has been there since we arrived.
Perhaps a dip in the pool would cool us off except that the pool is filthy, the kreepy crawly is off right now and there is algae covering the bottom of the pool.
This morning, one of the other lucky guests struggled for a while to get out of their parking due to a huge lack of parking on the property. They too expressed their huge disappointment in the place and made mention that their sheets are filthy and they can't wait to leave.

We started our holiday at the Urban Park Hotel and unfortunately they didn't have availability for us over New Years so we had to find another place to stay for the second week. The Urban Park is brilliant compared to this place. The rate is R1000 per night for a 1 bedroom unit with a king bed, stove, oven, microwave, medium size fridge, washing machine, clean towels, serviced daily, endless supply of toilet paper, soaps, and friendly service.

I really feel like I have been ripped off and taken for a ride by the very rude and unhelpful owners. I will never recommend this place to anyone and would rather cut my holiday short than spend another minute in this place. I struggle to see how this was awarded with 4 stars by the tourism grading and will be contacting them next to reassess their grading of this establishment.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Paul M
Liande2607, Manager at Lapa Lighthouse B&B, responded to this review, 19 April 2016
Hi there. May I remind you that you booked a ground floor room-then cancelled it and made a late booking resulting in getting a cancelled booking upstairs with a beautiful sea view. As you explained that you where pregnant, I did explain to you that there where a fair amount of stairs, but I did think that exercise is a good idea and you did not think it was a problem. The room did have a double bed, but a pregnant woman sometimes cannot get comfy. It was exceptionally hot and the creepy could not cope-but we sorted the pool out immediately. Mini kitchenette is just that "mini" I have had no other guest complain about that. In fact I have repetitive guests now for the 5th year that visit us for 3 weeks, using the mini kitchen. We have enough parking, its sometimes the guests that arrive in a HUGE 4x4 and expect enough parking. I normally don't interfere with the parking and guests are cool enough to sort it out with no problem at all. The guests you spoke to was a tour operator that booked very, very late. They had escorted their guests to another guesthouse, got home and climbed into bed just like that-dirty feet and all and then they complain about dirty linen. The point on the air-conditioning. I see no point in running an aircon the whole day with no one in the room. Point made. The hooters sticker? You have no idea what guests get up to with our furniture. I take great exception to being called rude. I wont even comment on that. We have earned our 4 stars and are very proud of it. My humble opinion is that no matter where you have stayed that summer, you would not have been happy.

Travellers are raving about these Durban hotels

Families
Solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Durban
Manaar House
#178 of 246 in Durban
Westville Bed & Breakfast
Westville Bed & Breakfast
#1 of 22 in Westville

Been to Lapa Lighthouse B&B? Share your experiences!