“Great base for doing business in Durban”
Review of Ridgeview Lodge

Ridgeview Lodge
Ranked #17 of 255 Durban B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 May 2012

After my nineth visit to Durban I have found a that Ridgeview ticks all the boxes for a business traveller. The team are efficient and friendly. Gary is a superb host. The rooms are comfortable and breakfast is superb. Access to the city and surrounds is easy and wifi is free.

Room Tip: Garden room are quiet and easy to access if arriving late
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Ridgeview Lodge

Reviewed 6 May 2012

Gary,i'm very disappointed with how u handled my situation,i'm not talking about u cant be bothered to let me know that my reservation was cancelled by venere.com until i asked you 1 day before my depature, but u charged me 4 days of cancellation?seriously?i was told i can only stay for 2 days,i booked another hotel by myself the day i arrived and told u about it next day,altho u said u got a cancellation from someone else so i can stay,but did i,or did i not tell u instantly that i wont stay,i will move to another place?u didnt say a word about cancellation,and where did that even come from?i didnt have any reservation with u. I was in the rush to the conference next morning and trusted u will handle the payment well,i was shocked when i saw u put 4 days cancellation on the receipt.i have informed my school and hope they would do something about it,i'm very disappointed.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
goadmin, Owner at Ridgeview Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2012

Hi Zoa, I dont want to turn this into a mud slinging match, but, I didnt cancel your booking, I was notified by Venere that it was cancelled so I presume it was done by you / your manager, secondly I told your manager not too worry and that we would sort the accommodation out when you arrived, this we did or should we have just left you to arrive at the airport in a strange city - country You went ahead and booked somewhere else to stay, thats not a problem but there is a cancellation policy , I never charged you the full price, I charged only 50% and not the full 100% as you would have been charged through Venere. You cant just change your accommodation plans at will and then expect not to pay for it. It disappoints and sadens me that you are prepared to go public on Tripadvisor but dont mention the effort that we put in re the taxi meet and transfer Yes, I would like to hear from your manager and yes I will post this reply on Tripadvisor

Reviewed 15 February 2011

Ridgeview Lodge is an awesome guesthouse with superb view over the harbour of Durban. The style is cozy and colonial, with a true home feeling. I stay there every time I go to Durban and I just feel at home. The attitude is friendly and helpful. Having been here several times over the years, this is something everyone should take for granted, unless coming over with unrealistic expectations or pretending one's own misbehaviour being accepted, although unacceptable.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank max66CapeTown
Reviewed 5 February 2011

It felt like a tight boarding school,always had to move on our tip-toes lest we are reprimanded
for our kids making noise.Upon our arrival we were yelled at by the wife Tosca of our bag making noise.Initially we were told breakfast closes at 9 am but arond 7:50 we would be phoned to be told we are late for breakfast.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
goadmin, Owner at Ridgeview Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2011

As the owner of the Guest House, I am always willing to accept constructive critisism if we find our House "out of line". The very nature of a guest house , is its uniqueness to its surroundings and size and the respect that fellow guests have for each other, whether that be in the diningroom with kids making unneccessary noise and poor table manners, in the bedroom with turned up tv volume, running up and down the passage ways, no thought for others who might be sleeping when you arrive late at night.
We find that those guests who are accustomed to Guest House style accommodation afford others the quiter privileges as they would expect from them, unfortunately sometimes some guests think that they are the only ones that count.
Our breakfast times are strictly 7am to 9am, we close the dining room at 9am yet there are always those who think that they can walk in at 5 minutes to 9 and sit there until 10am. We always phone to remind guests that the diningroom closes at 9 o clock, we would never call them at 10 to 8am.
The reason we were told that the booking was made, was because of the rates we had on offer, simply the cheapest for any of the listed star rated establishments and to now rate us at the lowest level for value does show the guests lack of experience as to what to expect and what was on offer in a Guest House.
Dear guest, sorry you did not bother to contact us or make your feelings known to us, other guests did contact us and asked for something to be done about the unacceptable behaviour .

Reviewed 11 December 2010

The fact that I have known Gary & Tosca for an age, only makes any stay an extra memory, always of a good kind.
Ridgeview is superbly situated overlooking my home-town(City of Durban) with wonderful views from relaxing access points.
When on business one needs a hearty tasty breakfast to start the day, and that is what is delivered by friendly proprietors.
Comfortable air-conditioned TV bedrooms are offered for a relaxing quiet and full sleep. All you need at the end of a warm day in Durbs!
Looking forward to my next stay at our premier stop in Durban, business or leisure.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 November 2010

I have stayed in many B&B's lodges and hotels. I definately rate Ridgeview Lodge as one of the top two places i have stayed over. Great value for your money. The breakfast is top class, the rooms are stunning and the view is gorgeous. Gary made us feel at home. They are awesome people with a passion for what they do. Definately my first choice for Durban accommodation!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 October 2010

This is a fantastic place to stay - the old Durban architecture is sublime, the finishes of very high quality and the rooms and facilities really lovely. I could not recommend it more highly!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business