“Cheap and Clean”

Ranked #35 of 43 Hotels in Durban
East London, South Africa
“Cheap and Clean”
Reviewed 24 March 2011

My husband and I had to go to Durban for professional reasons and were looking for a good but affordable accommodation. Albany Hotel is truly one of the cheapest hotels you can find in Durban. We paid 250 rand per person per night for a double room which includes a breakfast buffet. A few words of warning though...

If you check out the website (www.albanyhotel.co.za), you will see that the hotel is rated as a 3-star hotel. I'm not exactly sure why, but I feel like the hotel is more of a 2-star hotel. The lobby is quite small and dark. The same goes for the restaurant on the first floor where we eat our breakfast. The carpeting on all the floors of the building are outdated, looks like they've been there since the 1950's. The same carpeting is also in the room, which doesn't really help in making the hotel look modern. The room that we got was a little small, but I think it was because they added a small bed next to the double bed that was already there. The airconditioning wasn't functioning properly... we couldn't adjust the temperature and it wasn't as cold as we wanted it to be.

Also, the hotel is located in a noisy part of Durban. To be exact, the hotel is located at the corner of Smith Street and Albany Grove in the middle of the city center (the Durban City Hall is right across the hotel). Smith Street is very busy and congested during the day. While Albany Grove is a bit dodgy, especially at night, because of all the clubs and bars located in that area. We were lucky that we got a room on the Smith Street side... otherwise, we would have had to put up with all the noise from those establishments. It was also a good thing that the humming of the airconditioner drowned out the noise from outside.

Another thing to contend with is the lack of parking in the area. Unfortunately, Durban City is a bit like New York City. There just aren't a lot of good parking around. We had to pay 50 rand/day for parking at an adjacent building.

Despite all those unappealing things that I mentioned, the hotel staff were actually very friendly and helpful. Also, our room and the bathroom were both very clean... which is very important to me, because I'm quite OC about cleanliness (especially in the bathroom). The breakfast buffet was also very appetizing and well worth the money. We ordered room service for dinner a couple of times and were quite surprised about the size of the servings. I had a big beef burger with chips and veggies for only 50 rand. The beverages are a bit expensive though, so I suggest you buy your drinks from outside. Also, the room does not come with a fridge, so if you want a cold drink, you're gonna have to order ice cubes from downstairs or buy your drinks from a vending machine on the first floor.

In a nutshell, although my husband and I were disappointed in some aspects of the hotel (especially after seeing some of the pictures online), we thought that 250 rand was a pretty good price in that area. Most hotels in that area and along the beach cost almost 400 rand per person.

If you're in Durban for strictly business or on a tight budget and not really thinking of a romantic getaway, Albany Hotel is sufficient. If I were to go to Durban again and were still in a tight budget, I would definitely still reconsider staying at Albany Hotel. But if I have more money to spare or looking for a more pleasurable, classy experience, then this place will not be on the top of my list.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
7 Thank erasms2002

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Randburg, South Africa
Reviewed 14 December 2010

Looks are very deceiving! The outside of the hotel looks run down, but once you enter the front door it changes. The hotel is very clean. Staff are friendly and helpful. The best part of the hotel are the rooms, very clean and comfortable. In room amenities is much more than you would expect from a 3 Star property. The only thing is that it is not in the best of ares.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Cape Town, South Africa
Reviewed 13 May 2010

I stayed at The Albany for 4 nights and felt positively unsafe the whole time. I was told the hotel is walking distance to the ICC but what I was not told is that the area the hotel is in is unsavoury at best. There is no way it is safe to walk anywhere from this hotel.
On the Friday night, the room next door to me opened and closed every half hour with lots of people coming and going...the person who got into the lift with me that came out of this room was seriously dodgy. The barber shop/bar which opens into the hotel reception gave the hotel a seedy air at night
The breakfast was OK, the dinner certainly not. The reception staff were efficient but not overly friendly.
The bed was comfortable, the linen clean and the room was cleaned daily.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Durban hotels

Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 22 March 2010

Stayed at the Albany while attending a conference at the ICC, the company I worked for at the time went for one of the cheaper options for accomodation. The Albany did the job just fine though, its pretty basic but considering all I really did was sleep and have breakfast there it was just fine. The room I was in was pretty small but sufficient, the shower was pretty small, if you're a big person you may struggle. Breakfast was great though! It is within walking distance of the ICC.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank DavidZA
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 24 February 2010

This hotel is located in a dangerous part of Durban. A taximan informed us after that it was known for drugs and prostitutes. When dark, everything nearby is closed. The management were not in anyway nice. It calls itself an "art-deco" hotel. No evidence of this. Rooms were basic. The doors had several locks. Loud neighbours. Fellow hotel guests included somebody who went by the name "Bombay Dreams". Need I say more.

Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
5 Thank cdeeney
new york
Reviewed 23 September 2009

I have just stayed at the Albany Hotel in Durban which is next door to the ICC International Convention Centre in Durban for a conference. I was very happy as the hotel was close to the ICC and was very nicely appointed. Usaully I stay at the Hilton but it was not available and also much more expensive. The Albany Hotel offered excellent value for money and the rooms were superb, with marble bathrooms... so I was very happy. In fact I would say it is one of the nicest hotels I have stayed at in a while. Breakfast buffet was huge even waffles and cream were on the menu. Views of the city were good and generally I was very happy. It cost me about ZAR 450 a night with breakfast, so a good deal. It is not very well known so probably could be described as a hidden jewel. The GM Charlene?? was very pleasant and helpful arranging a lift to the airport. Thanks!!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank newyorkerinstyle
London
Reviewed 20 September 2009

The hotel was very conveniently located in central Durban, near the Albert Luthuli Conference Centre I was attending. I also managed to take in a show one evening at the Durban Play House next door to the hotel. The room was of a high standard for the price, and had been recently renovated. The buffet breakfast was good, the staff were helpful and courteous and my overall impression of the hotel was very good.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business