The Albany is not the best hotel in Durban, but it's a very respectable value option. I stayed here for almost a week while attending a conference at the Convention Center. With relatively limited funds, I looked for safe, decent lodging near the center. For a tourist trip, I'd consider something on the beachfront, but I will recommend the Albany for conference folk.
* You can safely walk to and from the ICC in the day. There's lots of office people on the journey. It's about 10-15 minutes to the arena entrance. You can't do this after dark, but then you can't walk many places in Durban at night.
* The city bus stops on the block. There's security on this bus. You can go to the beach, Victoria Street market, Suncoast casino, and Ushaka via the bus for R15 or less roundtrip. During daytime hours, it's a great option.
* The rooms, though older, are clean and big enough.
* The breakfast buffet is good, with a huge variety of meat. One tip is that you have to ask to order eggs or waffles. For dinner, though, I suggest the Royal on the next block, which has real places to eat.
* Beachfront hotels have better views and things to see. This is a central city location.
* No pool or fitness center.
* No Internet access. Don't believe the website - the "Business Centre" is one older computer in a corner. This could be a deal breaker for a conference person.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Albany Hotel specializes in offering the best accommodation at affordable rates to corporate business, honeymooners, sports teams, groups and holiday makers alike. We also specialize in hosting unforgettable wedding receptions. We have a number of wedding venues to choose from depending on the size of the function required. The Hotel offers business conference and function facilities from small to large events. We have three business conference venues available with seating capacity of up to 120 delegates. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Albany Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Albany Hotel Durban