“Disappointed”

Parade Hotel
Ranked #27 of 43 Hotels in Durban
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 26 February 2012

I stayed at the hotel from 22Feb to 24Feb 2012. The bathrooms are old, they seriously need a renovation! Breakfast was dull, with limited choice of food! There is no telephone in the room. I could not wait for my last day. What you see on their website is not true except for the fact that the hotel is next to the beach.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Moepeng

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Windhoek, Windhoek, Namibia
Reviewed 7 February 2012

This Hotel is situated in a prime area of Durban and is great for a quick overnight. We have found though that its not as clean as we would have liked. The towels had make-up marks on and the toilet was not cleaned properly although it had a nice ribbon on that said it was "Hygienically Sealed". It is also a very old hotel and maintenance is not the first priority. Very nice, but old, carpets also makes me wonder about how clean they are. We had an overall good experience and think that we got what we paid for.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 5 January 2012

The Parade Hotel is real value for money, we paid less than R500 per person for a weekend stay, and we had a seaview room. It is very clean and the staff friendly and helpful. The location cannot be beaten, as its on the beach front and within walking distance of Ushaka Marine World and Suncoast Casino.

There was no phone or mini-bar for keeping drinks cool in the room, but for a budget hotel, its the least you need to worry about. There is a safe in the room though.

I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank WreckHavoc
Farnborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 December 2011

I stayed 5 nights in October 2011 and at R250.00 a night I cannot think of a better place to stay at that price in terms of location and comfort. Yes, the hotel is old and creaking at the seams in some areas but the room was clean and comfortable and the view of the seafront outstanding from my window. The rooms also have satellite TV so the room price in my opinion was a bargain.

The breakfast was excellent and plenty of it in a grandiose dining room on the third floor.

Location wise the hotel was perfect. Right on the seafront in the heart of everything. Also close to the city centre.

There is no air conditioning in the room which can be a problem due to Durban's heat and humidity but due to the large sliding window which can be fully opened the night time air helps keep the temperature comfortable.

If you are looking for budget accommodation then I would recommend the Parade Hotel without question.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Tim D
Nicsdxb
Reviewed 14 September 2011

LOVELY old building which has been looked after. The hotel is in a fantastic location and is very basic - so perfect if you really only need a bed!

The prices are really good and include breakfast, unfortunately the fantastic price brings students and other 'cheap' guests! We were there for a rugby match, and were kept up all night by a very load bunch of youngsters who were all drinking in their rooms before going out, getting more drunk and then returning louder than before. Unfortunately there are no phones in the rooms and the hotel staff seemed to ignore (or be used to) the noise.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nicsdxb
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 13 September 2010

Was given a discounted rate because I am in the airline industry. Still felt ripped off over all.

Hotel’s location is its best feature, especially if you have a sea front room, which has glorious views of the Indian Ocean. I slept with the windows open and listened to the ocean break all night long. I can’t imagine having a non-sea front room; I think it would feel very gross.

This is a 2 star hotel, so I didn’t expect much in the way of service. The manager did come to greet me, as is normal when given an industry rate, so I sort of expected the best of their best. Despite this, we had a significant wait when we arrived at check in time, I gathered because they were "cleaning" the room. Wifi was not available, but they allowed me to use Wifi at their sister Blue Waters down the street. Still 70 rand, which just irritates me.

The room was sorely dated and extremely dingy. The carpet needs to be replaced and i'm sure this alone would add immeasurable amounts to the quality of a persons stay. The bathroom was old, with mold growing in the shower, and the towels were tiny worn things that wouldn't cover a child's body. Despite this, they left complementary toiletries in the bathroom. Hum?

The beds were two twins pushed together and made comfortably with warm blankets. Great, since it was still a stormy spring night and a bit cold with the windows open. There was no AC, so I could see the summer being a bit warm. No alarm clock or wake up calls here, so bring your own.

My flight was early, so didn’t experience breakfast.

The car park was street parking, and we were also harassed by the parking guard. We declined his request, as we had been constantly pressed for handouts over the previous few days. When inquiring at the desk about the propriety of the situation we were told we should give them what ever they ask for. I only had the car parked at that particular time for a few minutes and apologized for not paying and told him I would pay him when I got back. I must have been gone for 40 minutes and he was gone when I returned, and still gone when returning and leaving again about an hour later. If all these cars are paying 30 rand for this service, and they don’t even stay all night, much less into the late evening hours, it seems like it is just a scam.

Also, GPS couldn’t find address. This is a common problem in Durban, as the streets all have several names. It seems to depend on who you talk to about what gets called what...

Not the best place ever, but not the worst. Might stay there again if the price is right, but would definitely go somewhere else if I could get a comparable rate elsewhere. Don’t think I would recommend it to a friend. They might get mad at me.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank elfkinears

Travellers are raving about these Durban hotels

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 7 July 2010

Needed a decent place to stay during the World Cup. Location was pretty good - near the beach and restaurant/bars, and a (long) walk to the stadium. Area was pretty sketchy but lots of security and people around for the World Cup, so never felt threatened. Hotel was pretty old and patchy, but it was serviceable.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends