“Tumelo”
Review of Parade Hotel

Parade Hotel
Ranked #23 of 43 Hotels in Durban
Reviewed 16 February 2013

Checked in on 10/02/2013 on our arrival we found that the lock on our room was damaged. We asked for another room as we felt not safe, but was told that all rooms was full. The lock was fixed the following morning. The carpet smell dust and definately needs to be replaced. The room was so hot with no fan. On our second night we where woke up by a big cockroach as big as my thumb on our sheets, this was so bad that my wife could not sleep after that. This happened every night afterwards till the last night (Cockroaches), that I had to kill.
The breakfast, beacon was not fresh at all. I hated the place, I enjoyed Durban but everytime when I had to go to my hotel room I got so depressed. I could not wait to check out and go home to cachup on my sleep that was disturbed by cockroaches. I hated the place, it really need some attention.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tumelo M
There are newer reviews for Parade Hotel

Reviewed 29 July 2012

Parade hotel is a small old style hotel, situated just 10 minutes from the International convention center (ICC). Good for conference participants, but also for surfers, because the beach is just in front. The staff is very professional and helpful, rooms are cleaned every day. Everything for an excellent price! The 2 stars hotel can easily become 3 stars, some older rooms are now in reconstruction.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Filip F
Reviewed 19 July 2012

Unless you're on the 4th floor, this place is absolutely gross. We were moved twice to different rooms on the 5th floor and were basically chased out of each room by huge roaches. We were eventually relocated to a renovated room on the 4th floor, which was quite nice, but everything else was so gross, we couldn't really appreciate it. With no other 4th floor availability, the hotel had to move our friends to another hotel since no other rooms were decent. We also had issues with the water being turned off at random times. Would definitely not stay here again unless the entire place were completely redone!

Room Tip: A renovated 4th floor room is really the only option.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Michelle C
Reviewed 13 May 2012

Frustrated with a poor choice of a previous hotel (Formula 1) we stumbled upon this. Old art-deco building on the beach with large rooms. Located on a corner, so matter which room you were in, you got a view of the ocean.Close to everything. No air-conditioning, but the proximity to the Indian Ocean made for plenty of breeze, and it had a ceiling fan. Free full breakfast including eggs, bacon, sausages, minced meat, toast, juice, coffee/tea. I do not believe the restaurant was open of lunch or dinner but the plethora of eating places close by, did not bother us. Plenty of street parking. Most guests were local tourists which from South Africa added to the charm. The only thing I can complain of, is the carpeting - used and not very clean, so we made sure we always used footwear. It would be nice if the ripped the carpeting off altogether. Cost us US $75 per night for a couple. We were in a large room suitable for a family of four. Some room have bunk beds for children.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is on the main street, which directly faces the ocean. All room have an ocean v...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank kashgo
Reviewed 10 April 2012

i loved everything about the place,staff, food,security shoo everthing,and its near the beach

Room Tip: "Higher floors have less A/C unit noise"
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank tebogo
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Location-wise, it cannot get any better. It's right on the promenade, in front of Durban beach, which makes for beautiful views and sunrise photos. Parking is on the street but they have night guards. The building is old-ish and perhaps some aspects of it need a bit of attention. Carpets look tired, the interiors could do with a bit of renovation here and there but nothing major. There is also a pub beside the reception for a quiet beer if you like.

Everything worked while I was there and that's the main thing. If you want posh, go to the Southern Sun next door and pay twice the amount. The shower was good, as was the TV. There is a safe inside the wardrobe. The room looked clean every morning. Breakfast was good, not a lot of variety but quite hearty. It is a budget version of English breakfast as opposed to a full one but good nonetheless. Cereals, breads, juices, etc. The staff were very friendly and helpful as well.

In short, I was looking for a central budget place, with a decent level of comfort and safety. And in that, the Palace did not disappoint me. You get what you pay for.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Rodzep
Reviewed 26 February 2012

I stayed at the hotel from 22Feb to 24Feb 2012. The bathrooms are old, they seriously need a renovation! Breakfast was dull, with limited choice of food! There is no telephone in the room. I could not wait for my last day. What you see on their website is not true except for the fact that the hotel is next to the beach.

• Stayed: February 2012