“Holiday in South Africa”

The Heron Guesthouse
The Heron Guesthouse
Ranked #189 of 255 Durban B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Holiday in South Africa”
Reviewed 17 February 2012

Stayed at the Heron Guesthouse for a five day holiday from the UK. Found the staff to be very friendly. Joy who runs the guest house went out of her way to make us feel most welcome & was very knoledgeable on the local area. Breakfast was served with a smile & on time.

I would recommend the Heron Guesthouse to anyone wanting to stay in Durban, South Africa. I for one will be back.
Many thanks again Joy for a lovely stay :)

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Johannesburg
Reviewed 17 February 2012

I once again had a wonderful stay at this Guesthouse. It was wonderfully relaxing and restful, away from the holiday crowd. The staff, as usual, are all very accommodating and friendly.

Room Tip: Love the rooms upstairs
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 23 January 2012

I don't usually write reviews but I wanted to share my experience. I shot into Durban for a business trip and found the Heron online.

I must say I was very pleasantly surprised. My friends kept telling me about all the really nice places in Florida Road to visit and The Heron is 2 minutes away from there so it was the perfect location for me. I ran my meetings during the morning and spent the afternoon by the pool. Durban is very hot and it is refreshing to take a dip and my room came with air con and all the usual stuff. In the evening I would pop out for supper in Florida Road and then back to my place. Joy was very accommodating and friendly. I felt quite at home and it turned out to be the perfect place to stay. Easy access to interesting places, lovely room, convenient location, swimming pool and aircon a must, internet and DSTV. Thanks folks for a really nice stay in a very hit Durban!

Room Tip: Just ask Joy to put you near the upper pool
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Clint J
USA
Reviewed 10 September 2011

I had selected this place based on pictures, reviews on the internet, and location - wanting something in Morningside/Berea with self-catering and internet for a business trip (I travel to South Africa for weeks several times a year). Sadly, the strong internet signal is the only thing that I can say anything positive about this place (which in South Africa is a rarity)! Joy is very nice and very accomodating, but the place is absolutely filthy. It smells musty, like cat pee, and the refrigerator had leftover food and food containers from previous guests when I arrived. The rooms have a fridge and kettle, but the kitchen is shared - it looks like the serveware and the cupboards haven't been used since the 1950s. Walls in the room had lovely spiderwebs and dust as well. I couldn't wait to get out of this place after one night.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank lifeadventurer

Travellers are raving about these Durban hotels

Pretoria
Reviewed 2 February 2009

The lasting impression of The Heron is benign neglect. My wife and I were in Durban for a weekend wedding, so the satellite channel decoder not working and the internet connection not working when we arrived were not a big deal. We were not there to watch TV and had no business requiring an internet connection so we didn't even bother to mention it. It might annoy someone needing to use either of those facilities in a hurry.

We had a large air conditioned room with a balcony overlooking Greyville racecourse to the east. It had a jacuzzi, shower and a bar fridge.

The best feature was the easy going atmosphere. You could get good quality food within walking distance, bring it back to the guest house and cook a snack at any time of day or night on the hob or microwave in a communal lounge/kitchen area. Joy Stewart was a great hostess, easy to get along with.

The Heron is some way inland from the city centre, about 10 minutes drive from the beaches. Durban city centre is a truly awful place, hot, dirty and crowded. The streets are a playground for notoriously rude and selfish taxi drivers. The Heron's location means that it can mostly be avoided. It is also close to the Botanical Gardens, one of Durban's pitifully few attractions.

• Liked — Easygoing atmosphere
  • Disliked — Being in Durban
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
Emden, Germany
Reviewed 20 October 2008

I am working as a technician from Germany in the shipping business an travel around the world .

So for me it is important to have good accommodation during the time I am living away from home.

I have stayed in other hotels and apartments in Durban before I moved to the “Heron Guest House “ but for me when I staying the first time in this house I say to myself”This is it”

No noise from traffic roads, nice Rooms, two pools, great bar for relax in the evening after a hard day at work to have a nice beer or a shooter at real social prices.

Any problem (when this happened) will be fixed immediately by the owner

Wonderful breakfast, rooms cleaned up daily, nice personnel.

Safety watch day and night and some of the best stable WLAN connection that I have ever had before in Durban. All these points are important for a good relaxation after work.It is also important to have a good contact by computer to your companies and families.

So next Business Trip please try this great guesthouse and I promise you you will say the same what I say “This is it”

Best regards

Mr. H. F. Brands

at this moment Shipyard Elgin & Brown for MV”Border”

• Liked — Joy. She is amazing!
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Johannesburg
Reviewed 22 May 2008

Had a lovely time at the Heron Guesthouse. The manager/hostess, Joy was most helpful, friendly and welcoming. Lovely to chat too. The ensuite rooms, where I stayed upstairs are lovely (I believe there are rooms downstairs too), some have en-suite, jacuzzi style baths (stunning), great view over the city, delicious breakfast is served outside on the verandah by Joy and her team. The rooms upstairs are fully equipped for self-catering guests and there is a dining room area and lounge with TV for those who would rather stay in and relax. There is a computer with interenet for those busy exec's who can't stop working. Clean, fluffy, soft towels.Clean crisp linen, fully serviced rooms. What more can a girl ask for when looking for a relaxing get away or a business trip? Want somewhere simple, unfussy and comfortable to stay in - definitely recommend it. Oh, and there is a lovely pool to laze around on those hot, humid days. Great place, great ambience!

• Liked — The rooms and the friendly service
  • Disliked — Slight parking problem
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank JITTERBUGS