“Pretty ok”

Rainbow Terrace Restaurant
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

I have eaten here many times and it is a pretty nice place, The alacart is way better than The buffet though.
Breakfast is realy good

Reviewed 5 August 2014

The food was average and the service quite ordinary. I was surprised at the low quality of a Hilton restaurant

1  Thank Peabot
Reviewed 18 July 2014

We had Indian buffet - it was just ok. Would not have it again. The beer as cold and service good. We also had buffet breakfast - it was ok for a breakfast buffet.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

The range of curries was very interesting and actully very tasty, unfortunately their service let them down. Would i go again yes i would

Reviewed 17 April 2014

This review appeared in the Mercury on February 21, 2014

I recently attended a very disappointing dinner function at Durban’s Hilton Hotel.
Starters were a choice between butternut soup or a salad. Well not being a huge fan of squashes in general I opted for the salad. What arrived was a few curly leaves with some crumbles on top. It tasted undressed, or maybe the dressing never arrived at the table. I could have made a more exciting salad from the contents of my fridge and herb garden.
My mains of kingklip, consisted of a minute piece of grilled fish, probably four or five small mouthfuls, atop some carrot batons, garnished with three, halved baby potatoes and a smear of mustardy sauce. It tasted fine, but was just completely inadequate for a main meal. A vegetarian colleague had the mushroom ravioli. I didn’t ask whether he enjoyed it, I just asked if it was it enough. The answer was a definite no. A colleague who had the steak described it as small, overcooked and cold.
Dessert sadly was no better. I forget the menu description, but what arrived looked like the chocolate cake we had been served for the afternoon conference session, resuscitated with a dribble of red, jammy goo, a dollop of cream and some chocolate twirls.
The whole meal came across as rather mean and miserable. I am told it cost R450 ahead. Even assuming that included the wines, I think it was exceptionally poor value. Certainly not five-star.
I ducked as soon as it was polite, and hit the fridge at home. A packet of Parma ham didn’t touch sides.

Hilton Hotel
Address: 12-14 Walnut Street
Tel: 031 336 8100

Frank Chemaly is a food critic and travel writer for The Mercury and the Sunday Tribune.

1  Thank Frank_Chemaly