“Excellent Durban Hotel”

Ranked #6 of 43 Hotels in Durban
Bonn, Germany
“Excellent Durban Hotel”
Reviewed 6 November 2012

For a good reason I have made this property my home away from home. I accassionally visit Durban and always stay at a different hotel until I came accross the Suncaost H&T. Since then I always stay there, the location is second to none direct over looking the indian ocean and most of the rooms offer direct seaview. The enviroment is very clean and very polite staff.

Room Tip: The Towers Rooms offer great seaview and have also balkonies
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Alexander Q
Kaliq E, General Manager at Suncoast Towers, responded to this review, 25 March 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing some feedback on your stay with us.
We are delighted that you always have a good time when you stay at Suncoast Hotel and Towers.
To hear someone calling us their "home away from home" brings a warmth to our hearts. It is vital for us that our guests feel at home with us.

I do hope that it will not be too long before I will have the pleasure of being able to welcome you back to Suncoast Hotel and Towers for another memorable visit.

Kaliq Essop

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Polish first
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Everything from check-in to check-out was very well handled. I have stayed in this hotel for +-6 times over the past year and each time was amazing. The service at the front desk, the standard of the rooms and the excellent breakfast is matched by very few hotels in SA. The Spa is also one of the best in the world.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review.

I am delighted you enjoyed our facilities and the good service offered by our friendly staff. It also gives me great pleasure to know that you enjoyed the Spa, which most definitaly is a gem.

We look forward welcoming you back.

Centurion, South Africa
Reviewed 1 November 2012

I stayed at this hotel on 2 occasions. On both occasions the service was good and the staff friendly. Suncoast Hotel can boast being on one of the best beaches in Durban.

I have mixed opinions about the rooms at this hotel and it is why I have rated the hotel an overall 'Average'. The one time we had the normal double room which is basically a room which just manages to fit in a double bed, cupboard and an open bathroom. In front of the bed is the basin and there are 2 cubicle on either side of the basin enclosing the shower and toilet.
Even with 2 people in the room, it feels a bit crowded.

On another stay however we had a suite which had its own private balcony with beautiful views, a king bed that stood in this huge room. The bathroom area in this room is fantastic and in terms of size is probably bigger than the other standard room that I stayed in. It has decent cupboard space, a huge open hall the houses the basin and bath. There is a large shower area and seperate toilet.

I would certainly recommend anyone to stay at this hotel only if they stay in one of the suites. There is also a gym, beauty spa and direct access into the Suncoast Casino and Entertainment area..

Room Tip: If you choose to stay in a standard room, make sure you atleast get one thats sea facing.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.
I am delighted you enjoyed so many of the facilities and the good service offered by our friendly staff.
We look forward to welcoming you back and I would be delighted to personally assist with the perfect room, so that your experience is fantastic.

Westside
Reviewed 7 October 2012 via mobile

This hotel, a bit from the past, applies outrageous Worldcup rates. At 1,400 Rand a night yiu even have to pay extra for WiFi. The in-room toilet and shower shows cheap. Due to normal seafront humidity, the wooden doors close with difficulty, so from the morning on you hear doors being slammed.
Besides that OK. Nice breakfast, pleasant garden.
The nearby mall is only for restaurants - no shopping

Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank TravelingEugene

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 2 October 2012

Stayed in a standard room at suncoast. Staff are friendly and efficient, however the room leaves a lot to be desired. Open bathroom / basin / toilet with the room, however rather un appealing glass all around this area including the ceiling. Feels like you are in an X rated movie!! Room is also rather small. The complex itself is very convenient with a multi-tude of restaurants and amenities in the casino complex downstairs.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business

Cape Town
Reviewed 24 July 2012

This is an attractive hotel with good location. Although my room unfortunately didn't have a sea view, it was within walking distance (maybe 2 minutes) to the beach, & I could see the ocean from the reception & lounge areas. The outstanding thing about the hotel though is how friendly & helpful the staff are. OK, the porters are pretty slow, but it is made up for with being friendly, polite, & willing to assist. A special word to Musa, on reception, who was really courteous & assisted with a smile at all times.
Prior to my visit I had a couple of queries, which I emailed to them - within 20 minutes I had a reply - fastest assistance ever from a hotel.

The room (a single room) was comfortable, clean & had everything I needed. Often hotel rooms don't have mirrors with sufficient lighting, or you can't get close enough to them (I'm short-sighted so I need to have good light to apply my make up!) which I find highly annoying, but the room was well-supplied with mirrors, lighting, & places to put things down when applying makeup & doing hair.
The 'bathroom' as such is a bit odd as it isn't a separate room - the loo & shower are in 2 separate frosted glass cubicles, with the basin in between - open to the room. For me staying alone, that's not a problem, but it may be for a couple who isn't used to that! :- )

When I travel, my top 5 needs from a hotel are: clean (tick), safe (tick - had a lock & safety chain on door), and comfortable (tick), well-lit place to apply makeup (tick) and good service (tick) - so Suncoast Hotel & Towers (now called Tsogo Sun) ticked all my boxes - hooray!.

One thing that isn't on the site: there is a little fitness room - wish I'd known about that as I'd have packed my trainers!

The Casino & Restaurants are next door, & you go through an interconnecting passageway. Considering the cost of hotel meals, this is a great option because you can choose eating places from budget (Wimpy), through family (Spur), upwards.

Unfortunately, as I was there on business, I didn't have much time to explore or use all the hotel's facilities, but if I should go to Durban again, I would certainly consider staying here.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms further away from the casino side - there was a party on one evening, & I'm su...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank JenD_17

Traverse City, Michigan
Reviewed 5 June 2012

Came to Durban to run the Comrades marathon. The Suncoast worked like a treat. Great location, very well appointed rooms, great restaurant and very nice staff. I'll come back the next time I run this madness marathon.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank John M
Kaliq E, Front Office Manager at Suncoast Towers, responded to this review, 11 June 2012
Good day Sir,

Thank you so much for the positive review on our property and I am glad that we were able to meet you expectations during your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the not too distant future.

Warm regards