“Good for business”

Ranked #6 of 43 Hotels in Durban
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Good for business”
Reviewed 12 April 2013 via mobile

I stayed for 4 nights. Staff very friendly and helpful, room clean and comfortable. Great bed with lots of feather pillows and feather duvet. Sea view. Enough storage although might be tight if there were two of you staying. Generous space around the sink area. Lots of mirrors, but oddly, not one that you can see yourself in full length. Convenient shaver point with standard European connection, good for charging a toothbrush. No hairdryer supplied which is not a problem for me but would be a nice touch. Plenty of desk space and good wireless connection, although this was expensive, I thought. Tip: when you connect, use any website other than Google to bring up the alwayson login, for some reason I couldn't force this through Google. I used room service once for a beer and it was speedy, friendly, with no delivery charge.
Breakfasts are great, with lots of choice including lovely fresh fruit, pastries, cooked options and cereals, yoghurt, etc. Dinners were OK but more mixed, a limited choice and could be a bit slow. Might be better to walk through the link to the casino and food court.
I used the pool which I enjoyed; as it was quite a cold day by Durban standards I had it to myself. I imagine it could get crowded in better weather. There are no adequate changing facilities downstairs so you have to trail wet, and semi clothed through the restaurant area.
Only real complaint is that both the room, and particularly the restaurant area were quite cold. I couldn't heat my room at all and in the public spaces the aircon was too powerful for the prevailing external temperatures.
Be aware that although the hotel is right on the beach and very accessible during daylight, this is not an area where you can wander at night. It is situated close to an urban motorway and not within safe walking distance of shops or restaurants.
I would definitely stay here again if I returned to Durban.

Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank samliz
Kaliq E, General Manager at Suncoast Towers, responded to this review, 15 April 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with some feedback following your recent stay at Suncoast Hotel and Towers when you found our staff to be efficient and professional.

I am absolutely delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed yourself and that you are already looking forward to your next visit.

We look forward welcoming you back.

Kind Regards,

Kaliq Essop

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manipal
Reviewed 1 April 2013

I have never seen a hotel that has deliberately screwed up the interiors to spoil, what I consider as a spectacular vista. The rooms are very small and the shower stall abuts the wall that has a small window overlooking the beach. If only the window was large enough and gave access to a balcony, every flaw in the hotel could have been excused. The breakfast is good and the staff are exteremely kind and helpful. But I didnot get value for the money that I paid for three nights. There are several excellent hotels in Durban and this is one place I wouldnt want to come back.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Kaliq E, General Manager at Suncoast Towers, responded to this review, 12 April 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review and for commenting on the staff being kind and helpful.
I would like to inform you that we have more spacious rooms available in the Towers section of the hotel - please visit our website and have a look at the options available to you. I would also like to invite you to the property and allow me to show you our different room types that we have available for future references.

Mumbai
Reviewed 22 March 2013

Very nicely located hotel with awesome ocean view ,light soothing sea breeze coming to your room if you open the window slit.Rooms are very very small and the wash basin is part of your bedroom ,you wake up and just 2 feet away is your mirrors n wash basin.Rather even the toilet and the shower are part of the same room just that they have put a glass chambers to it . Breakfast is nice and i even got some Indian food at the breakfast buffet . Pool side is amazing .

Room Tip: if you are someone than your partner ,dont share the room they are very tiny.of course sea facing ro...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Kaliq E, General Manager at Suncoast Towers, responded to this review, 24 March 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review. I am sorry your stay was less than perfect and that you found our Sunsquare rooms too small. May I ask you to please have a look at our Suncoast Towers rooms which is more spacious and keep it in mind for your next visit!
We are looking forward welcoming you back and I would be delighted to personally assist with the perfect room , so that your experience is fantastic.

Reviewed 20 March 2013

Staying at Suncoast is always a memorable experience. Many an important personal occassion has been celebrated at this very conveniently located hotel. It caters for all our needs from the time we enter the foyer to our departure time.Highly recommended!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Vanip7
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and to provide us with great feedback. We are delighted that you had such a good stay with us. We take pride in offering the very best service and I am delighted you found the staff and service good from the moment of arrival until departure.

I do hope that it will not be too long before we will have the pleasure to welcome you back for another memorable visit and to celebrate another occasion.

Ames, Iowa
Reviewed 3 March 2013

Top notch place. Service, food, vey thing was wonderful. I really liked the beach. Breakfast was awesome as well. Only real issue I had was the taxi service they called for us. The service was never certified. Otherwise I will definitely come back.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
I am delighted you enjoyed our facilities, food and good service offered by our team members.
Your issue regarding the taxi services has been discussed and rest assured that the problem has been rectified.
Thank you again, we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Johannesburg
Reviewed 16 February 2013

Stayed for business for a couple days and overall all very good, with comfortable clean & modern rooms, good service and location. Possibly slightly over-priced, and the breakfast grill service could be better & quicker, but otherwise all very good and acceptable. We also held a function in their suite, and the overall servcie was very good, and all staff were helpful. The only real gripe is the rigmorale involved in obtaining free wi-fi access, as they want to charge R 90 for 2 hours - what is it with these hotls wnating to charge for a sevrice which should be free & essential?!!

Room Tip: Sign up to the guest program to get at least 2 hrs free per day re wi-fi access!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

Your comments on the breakfast grill servicve and wi-fi access have been noted and we are working on improving the mentioned matters.

We take great pride in offering the very best possible service, I am delighted you found the staff and service good.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind Regards,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 January 2013

Spent 5 nights here. Yes the room was a little small but I was on my own on business , the bed was certainly large enough. The sea view was great and the room was properly seviced each day. One thing that the room did have was a small fridge which came in very handy.
Due to early starts , I had breakfast delivered to my room at 5.30 am each morning , the food may have not been piping hot but it was of good quality and they were always on time.Staff were cheerful and overall services good. I look forward to staying here again sometime..

Room Tip: Ask for a sea facing room , its just great looking out on to the sunrise each morning.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank RENSHAWWELSH
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
We are most delighted that you found the staff friendly and helpful and the service good. We are also delighted to know that you enjoyed the quality of the food and I would like to assure you that we have taken corrective measures to ensure that the food Is served at a better temperature.
Thank you again, we look forward welcoming you back in the near future.