“Need's some maintenance work”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Gumtree Lodge

Gumtree Lodge
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Durban
Gumtree Lodge
Ranked #34 of 80 Speciality Lodging in Durban
Cape Town, South Africa
“Need's some maintenance work”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

Very nice place to stay at and we have stayed their twice already however the 2nd time around was not that pleasant as the place needs some maintenance work to be done. the staff are lovely and there was lost of freedom or the kids to have fun which was of utmost importance to us.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
auckland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

Gumtree is a very popular b&b located in a quiet safe area close to Umhlanga. We were met at the airport off our night flight and offered dinner before turning in. Our room was well equipped with an amazing shower and bath and the king size bed was very comfortable. Breakfast offers continental, cooked (lots so choice and cooked to order) and the muffins were to die for.
Peter the owner and his staff are really friendly and accommodating. I don't understand some earlier reviewers criticisms. Any little niggles yare very quickly attended to. You just have to ask. It' s not an impersonal 4* hotel but a 4* homely b&b.
A reasonably priced home cooked dinner is available if requested and this was very popular especially with corporate guests. Thursday night is braai/BBQ night. Guests meet up on the patio by the pool so no guest needs to feel lonely in their room!
Peter runs safaris up to local game reserves and we had a great 2 night trip to umfolozi in zululand.
Complimentary wifi is available and if you ask reception in the morning, the contents of your laundry basket will be washed and ironed and returned to your room by evening.
We stayed at gumtree for two weeks and were really made to feel part of the gumtree family. Thanks to Peter, Craig, Lyndah and all the staff. We'll definitely be back.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Sale, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

Just Love staying with Peter and the staff at Gumtree Lodge, recommend to all, beautiful lodge, very clean and such friendly happy staff. Peter makes it a home away from home and can organised trips to game parks and trips to the shopping and beautiful Beach areas of Durban. Have stayed at the lodge three times and can't wait to return. Great value, very keen, very friendly and a very safe place to relax and unwind.

Room Tip: Book an upstairs front room if available.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Mtunzini, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

I really don't like staying away from home when I have to travel but staying at Gumtree Lodge was enjoyable and I stressed less - Thank you! The location of the lodge is perfect, especially for business men and tourists who are not familiar with Durban, it is not far from the King Shaka Airport and close to Gateway and Umhlanga. Although I am a woman on my own, I really felt very safe at all times. I was so well taken care of by the staff, they were friendly and helpful, nothing was too much effort for them, they even ironed my forgotten work pants for me at 11pm without moaning ;-) The rooms were spotless and in a good condition, the beds and pillows, very comfortable. Morning breakfast was the best omelette in the world!!!! When returning to the lodge in the afternoons, i was able to relax on the outside patio couches and have a sundowner while keeping one eye on the outside TV watching the Oscar Pistorius. What a lovely atmosphere, a happy place where I was made to feel welcome, by not only the owner, but also by guests that apparently return over and over again. It was great to have WiFi on hand. I see that there is a beauty spa, which I will try out next time. Here you really get great value for money. I have noted other reviews and am surprised at the negitve comments as that was not my experience at all. The lodge has just had a major revamp after its fire and is looking lovely, see photos shared. I can highy recommend Gumtree Lodge to corporates and tourists.

Room Tip: I stayed in a room next to the swimming pool, it was peaceful.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2013

We spent two nights at Gumtree Lodge as we were visiting relatives nearby and enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere, good accommodation and excellent breakfasts.

It was exactly as expected based on the the information on the website and although it felt very busy at times during the day because they were building a Spa room in the garden, it was quiet and peaceful at nights.

The lodge is definitely 4 star B&B standard but not 4 star Hotel standard as some reviewers mistakenly seem to indicate it should be - the price is the clue!

Overall it is good value for money for what it is.

Johannesburg, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2013

Overall: The rooms were adequate, however I think this was because we spent so little time there, just got ready in the morning and left for the day. Returned to sleep at night. If we spent more time, I would have probably been very unhappy. HOwever, I think that the staff might have been overwhelmed by the number of guests. There were 22 rooms, which allow up to 4 people per room. All were fully booked!

The Staff: Zodwa, the person who manages the place was very good with my arrangements prior to us arriving. When we got there she was efficient and friendly. Most of the rest of the staff were unfriendly and seemed to resent us asking for assistance. Too few staff for number of guests.

The rooms: The rooms are adequate. They look quite nice and beds are comfortable. But sheets were stained. The bathrooms smelled musty. The shower did not work properly and warm water ran out. The hand shower in my room was broken. We were given soap and toilet rolls only. We were given less towels and when asked for more, were told that they had run out. Same was said for pool towels. No hairdryer in the room, and the one we were given blew up. When we asked for another, the owner kept saying he had to go and get one. We got it hours later.

Breakfast: Breakfast was adequate. However the staff were very slow. Things ran out, like juice, milk, yoghurt and not replaced. Same for cutlery, glasses, plates etc. Staff were struggling to keep up.

Xmas eve dinner: we were invited to a complementary xmas eve dinner. food ran out and not replaced, leaving many guests still hungry. We were told it would be from 7pm to 10pm. We got there at 8.30 and food was running out already.

Parking: Parking was insufficient and we even witnessed one car reverse twice into another car because there was insufficient space for cars to get in and out.

Overall I won't recommend this place as 4 star. It's very nicely situated and convenient but I won't go back.

1 Thank 124Michelle
Johannesburg, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2012

Very relaxing and laid back. Close to Umlanga Beach and Gateway Mall. Good value for money, decent breakfast. Staff are average. The lodge could do with a sping clean a refebishment as there are some very grubby corners. This is a good place to unwind, don't have 4 star expectations, adjust your expectation to 3 star.

Room Tip: Cottages arround the main house not next to the pool, seem to offer more space.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Durban
Road Lodge Umhlanga
#1 of 3 in Mount Edgecombe
Valley Lodge
Valley Lodge
#9 of 246 in Durban

Been to Gumtree Lodge? Share your experiences!