“HOME AWAY FROM HOME”
Review of Gumtree Lodge

Gumtree Lodge
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Durban
Gumtree Lodge
Ranked #38 of 80 Speciality Lodging in Durban
Roodepoort
“HOME AWAY FROM HOME”
Reviewed 3 October 2010

In today’s fast moving business world it is so good to be brought to a point where appreciation for the things that matter in life are realised and this relates to my numerous visits to KwaZulu Natal where I have adopted Gumtree Lodge as my home away from home.

The flight to Durban is swift and the stay normally for a few days. Upon arrival I am collected from the airport by the Owner and Manager of Gumtree Lodge, Peter and Jay. Upon arrival at the Guest House I am greeted as a family member by the staff, my bags taken to my room and am given an evening meal in a very relaxed atmosphere.

Gumtree Lodge is one of the few guest houses who provide dinner for guests at a very reasonable price and the lamb curry is incredible. A braai is held once a week where you can relax on the patio next to the swimming pool and enjoy the peace, tranquillity and hospitality that Gumtree Lodge offers.

The bedrooms are spacious and very neat and equipped with DSTV and Internet Access.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed 30 September 2010

Very well situated for our business meetings.
Easy internet access which is imporatnt for business visitors.
Well secured area and quiet.
Charming and always welcoming staff.
Good personal contact and caring.
Spacious rooms, very tidy and neat.
Clean bathrooms with showers and bath.
Always feeling at home at Gumtree Lodge.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Pops312595
Auckland
Reviewed 29 August 2010

Arrival was great. Room was small but adequate and adjoining bathroom huge with shower and corner bath. However, no information in the room on wireless / internet connection, times for breakfast, tv, etc as you normally find. No tissues, no face cloths in the bathroom.

Breakfast on Friday - no staff in the dining room, plates had not been cleared from the table. A case of help yourself to what there was left over. No hot breakfast as no staff!

The manageress did put chairs out on the balcony with an ashtray (which was not emptied the entire time of our visit).

Check out on Saturday - waited a long time for someone to find the manageress who was, i was told, sleeping. How true this is I don't know. The kitchen staff were not friendly at all and all in all, not a lodge I would recommend if you are looking for 4 star service.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Cape Town
Reviewed 11 January 2010

Upon entering Gumtree Lodge, one gets the impression of a beautiful, serene and friendly atmosphere. However, once the door to your room is opened, you are sure to be sorely disappointed! With a shower in the middle of the room, with a full view for all to see (thank goodness I wasn't sharing with a friend!) and a cupboard that opens onto the bed so you cannot get passed it, as well as broken skirting tiles that no-one bothered to fix - the four star status of this "lodge" is far too high an accolade.

To add to our unpleasantries, the gutter just outside our door was blocked (or something of the sort) so that when we came home after a Durban thunderstorm, we had our own private little pool inside our room!

The rooms have no space to hang towels, only a laundry basket to throw them into, so heaven forbid you may want to shower twice in the sweltering Durban heat!

The kettle worked, occasionally with a faulty plug - highly annoying if you happen to be in a rush.

The manageress was friendly enough but most of the staff were unfriendly and didn't seem to understand plain english. For breakfast, I ordered an omellette with cheese, tomato and mushroom and my boyfriend ordered 2 eggs with bacon - not really rocket science to remember now is it? Well, I got an omelette with bacon and sausage a sprinkling of chees (no mushrooms or tomato in sight) and he got a table spoon of mushrooms and two slivers of bacon with half a tomato - hmmm... interesting isn't it? Thank goodness I wasn't a vegetarian!

Now for New Year's Eve: As a nice gesture, the B&B decided to throw a bash for the guests who had nothing better to do - supposed to run from 7:30 or 8 until 12:30. We got home around 01:00 and the party was still going - however, it was no longer a party with guests but rather a party the owners son decided to throw right outside the guest rooms. We decided they could have their fun for a few more minutes until the music got turned up full blast and they all started shouting at the top of their lungs - about 20m from our door (and we were the furthest room from the noise!)

After asking them to please keep it down because we were trying to sleep and were leaving early in the morning, we received some snotty comments. We decided to try get to sleep, with the volume slightly lowered. Ten minutes later, however, the same nonsense ensued and we were forced to ask them to please keep it down for the paying guests! Eventually, we managed to get to sleep just before 2am, but I think more from exhaustion than from the quiet.

In the interim of trying to get them to quiten down, we tried calling reception to get them to sort out the noise, but alas, no answer... quite typical really.

Anyway, needless to say, when we departed on the 1st of Jan, we were NOT sad to leave! Good luck if you choose to stay there - maybe you have better luck than we had!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
canada
Reviewed 10 August 2009

Peter, the resident owner, treated us like family. stranded at the airport without a place to stay he offered to take us in. showed us the town. treated us with kindness and genuine concern for out time there. our contact did not show up at the airport, and it was the best thing that happened to us. the honor of meeting peter and him taking the time to take us around and provide us with a world class stay with a feeling of home away from home.

he set us up with another place for the first night cause he was full, but fed us that night and the next morning for breakfast! great times.
when you sit around the dinnertable together, it really feels like family.

also, great price!

• Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank DUDE037
Somerset West, South Africa
Reviewed 15 July 2009

I made the booking based on website advertising by booking site, Gumtree's own site as well as the positive feedback provided on this site. On arrival the two guests were wisked away by a gentleman and told they were not sleeping there and taken kilometers away to another destination not nearly matching the information viewed, no warning was given on booking that we would be placed elsewhere, and the alternative house seriously does not match that which was advertised. Our first booking was changed as there was a date error, and personal contact was made with both the booking site and the lodge and neither made any mention of moving the booking to an unknown destination. This is completely unacceptable and we would have preferred the option to make a booking suited to our needs, in an area of our own choice.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
Tampa
Reviewed 13 September 2007

There are certain places I've stayed in my travels where I get to know the people as true friends. I'm glad to say that this is one of them.
We were treated not like royalty, but family!

The breakfast was tasty and timely.
The beds were comfortable and clean, clean, clean.
The bathrooms were huge with corner tubs and showers.
They did our laundry everyday with no charge. We did tip well, though.
We were often invited to dinner with the proprietor and never spoken to about "cost" involved. (We brought our share of the beverages and food - that's what family does, right?)

The wireless internet worked well, not throughout the lodge, but in the main room and rooms that were nearby.

One thing I think I enjoyed the most was the people who stay at Gumtree. A lot of young professionals of every race and from all over Africa. It was such an easy atmosphere of fun and friendship. They even threw a braai one night for which I made the sweet potatoes in rum sauce and the cabernet-mint reduction for the lamb chops. I hear they went over well, I had to run errands. Oh well.

There is a fabulous little wine shop about 3 kilometers away, fantastic Indian food at The Whitehouse area - about 5 kilometers away - and of course, that gigantic mall - Gateway - about 10 kilometers away. You can get everything there. They even have an Apple Store.

The neighborhood is protected by private security and has an electric gate entrance, just like every other place there.

All in all it was a real pleasure.

A reminder to tip your housekeepers the equivalent of 2-4 dollars per day. This has served me well in all my travels.

• Liked — Friendly people, Dexter the Bulldog
  • Disliked — Leaving
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Durban
Road Lodge Umhlanga
#142 of 255 in Durban
Flintstones Guest House
Flintstones Guest House
#187 of 255 in Durban

Been to Gumtree Lodge? Share your experiences!