All reviews florida road within walking distance bars and restaurants breakfast was delicious lillian
Reviewed 23 March 2012

We had a two night stay at Mythai and enjoyed it.
The rooms are spacious and very clean, although a little tired. Lillian (the owner) is in the middle of refurbing everything.
We were treated very well and as first time visitors to Durban were pleasantly surprised by the tranquility the garden decking and pool area invoked. You could be in Thailand!
The guest house has easy access to the many bars and restaurants on Florida Road.
Breakfast is served overlooking the pool and is more than enough to start the day.
Lillian helped us with advice on where to dine- and it was within walking distance.
The pool area is a haven in such a busy city.
I would stay again if I make it back to Durban.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bridie21
Reviewed 18 December 2011

I stayed here for two weeks while working at a conference - our team's early starts, late night internet and an array of requests were all accommodated by the helpful manager, who even drove us to the local printers. The place is done out in a Thai style with decking, small pools, plants etc and it was an oasis of calm amid a hectic work schedule and in the middle of a large city. But the drive also opens onto Florida Rd, a main road with bars and restaurants, so you can have dinner and walk home safely. Definitely recommended.

Room Tip: My room was down in a separate building - huge room and very peaceful for sleeping, but the wifi didn't reach down there so I had to come up to the main house to use it.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank phoenix8396
Reviewed 30 July 2010

We stayed here for the world cup semi final. The location is the best in Durban. Back gate access to Florida Road. Fantastic restaurants and shops. Easy walking distance to football and rugby stadium. Great staff and great breakfast. We absolutely loved it.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank ESieck
Reviewed 1 July 2010

This is a gem of a place to stay.
I was lucky to find this place for a stay during the world cup.
Right on the top of Florida Road, ideal location.
Best place to stay in Durban.
Cafes, pubs, restaurants abound, all within a safe, walking distance.
Owners are of great help and really seem to enjoy what they do. very helpful and seem to have found that perfect balance of being present and helpful, but never intrusive.
The rates were more than fair considering location and the quality of the lodging.
Breakfast is very ample. Rest of the staff is lovely and helpful.
Highly recommended.
Even have a Thai cooking school- did not attend.
Only drawback (and very minor) is the parking, while available, their driveway is steeply ptiched and while little trouble parking a car, if you have a larger van/truck, it may be difficult. but staff will help you park.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank dwrrn
Reviewed 13 December 2007

I stayed here for 7 nights while attending a conference. Was I lucky! Downtown Durban is virtually a no-go area - very dangerous to walk out, both in the daytime and at night. Too many of our delegates got mugged and robbed. But, Mythai is at the top of Florida Road (about 15 minutes from the city), which has a host of cafes, restaurants and a pub. I felt quite safe and walked down the street every night without a worry. It is a really nice guesthouse. I stayed in a large room, large bed, big windows, beautiful ensuite bathroom. The breakfast was fantastic. They do evening meals for groups of people - Thai, of course - and I booked in a group of my colleagues for a meal. They said it was the best Thai meal they had ever had (the guy imports spices from Thailand). To get downtown, there is a bus stop just outside (2 Rand) or a taxi (60 Rand). Cost was 2,555 Rand for 7 nights. A bargain. I really do recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled on business