“One-of-A-Kind”

Smith's Cottage
CA
“One-of-A-Kind”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Where else are you welcomed by name? Even though I arrive about 6 hours early, they still knew who I was. Pat made a cup of coffee while Keith asked if I needed my laundry done. He remembered my inquiry when I had booked weeks before. Impressive!
Pat took me in the car so I could get groceries and take away.
The next morning I had an early flight and figured with my luck my alarm would not go off.
Keith got up at 4 a.m. to make sure I was up and then waited for my taxi to arrive. He also called to locate the taxi.
This is the kind of personal service I don't think I could find again.
The place is clean and peaceful with a beautiful garden and pool. They even have a view of the Indian Ocean if the trees do not obstruct it now.
I can't imagine finding a nicer pair of people!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Hebrew first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Whether you're traveling with a family, a significant other, a group of friends, or solo, Smith's Cottage is highly recommended.

Clean and cozy, with the BEST service, you can't go wrong. Smith's cottage provides the best of both worlds - They are conveniently located just outside of the city center, combining relaxation with easy access to all the action (via their reasonably priced transport service, or on foot as well).

I couldn't have picked a better place to stay, with better people to host me while I was in Durban. Furthermore, the Smith's are very familiar with all the attractions near and far, and constantly seek to provide the best tips and assistance for travelers.

The bottom line: You won't regret staying at Smith's Cottage.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed 18 May 2014

We stay with Pat and Keith each time we visit Durban. They are welcoming, helpful--Keith even diagnosed and fixed a small car problem our mechanic failed to repair--and remind me of my parents. In a good way! They have perfectly clean rooms, comfy beds and a pleasant garden with a pool. And, they are near a fantastic Indian take-away. Without a doubt, if you want a relaxing and excellent-value-for-money stay, then stay with Pat and Keith. They are lovely, lovely people.

Room Tip: Take the family cottage.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MandT101
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Our family of 4 had a great night at Smith's Cottage. Pat and Keith are very friendly and helpful. They helped us map out our route up to Drakensburg. The place is so clean and quiet. It was perfect for us!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank AngeliqueS247
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 7 May 2014

This must have been my fourth stay at Smith's and it never fails to dissapoint. Pat and Keith are absolutely wonderful hosts, full of good tips and always up for interesting conversation. The facilities are spotless, the atmosphere friendly, the beds comfortable, the location excellent. The neighborhood is upscale Durban North. I would recommend a car, and then you are literally minutes from Downtown and Florida Road and just 15 minutes or so from everything in Umhlanga. Just 10 - 15 minutes to the South Coast Casino where there are good restaurants and an excellent beach with lifeguards. Good parking, too. I will most definitely be back.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank KincsZoltan
Bergen, Norway
Reviewed 6 February 2014

Extremely friendly owners and a great place to stay. We were staying there for 2 nights.

The owners absolutely made our stay. We arrived in the afternoon and asked for a place to watch the Manchester united match. They did not have the channel in the living room so they offered us to watch the match in their bedroom. They helped us with everything from what to do In Durban to where we were going and staying afterwards. There is also a very nice and big pool and a dart game.
Love the place and are definitely coming back!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank markusnorway
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Smith's Cottages is THE place to stay in Durban. The owners "Pat & Keith" are really friendly and helpful. The rooms are clean and everything you need is available. A good place to relax after a busy day in Durban. And the owners can drop & pick you up from any place in the city centre.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo