“A must if you re visiting Durban”

Cargo Hold Restaurant
Ranked #28 of 618 Restaurants in Durban
Price range: US$15 - US$20
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“A must if you re visiting Durban”
Reviewed 16 May 2013

Really enjoyed the experience in the Restaurant.
The place is very nice and has lots of character.
Food amazing as well, tried the shared platter and a main plus dessert, all perfectly cooked.
Service great as well and value amazing considered the quality of food.
The only bad probably for whoever manages the booking,
I made a reservation and then called to add 2 more people i was answered that was not possible as no more chairs were available, i did not insist but quite disappointed to see that plenty of tables were empty during our dinner. I do appreciate that some reservation did not show but turning down business in that way is not exactly good?

Kempton Park, South Africa
“Anniversary Dinner was amazing”
Reviewed 12 May 2013

It was my Anniversary my fiance' surprised to a romantic evening dining with the sharks. Awesome view, great food, friendly staff, value for money, great ambiance. I would recommend this restaurant to any one who wants a romantic evening out. They have the best steak I have ever tasted.

Durban, South Africa
“Very good food, reasonably priced wine, superb setting”
Reviewed 7 May 2013

The cargo hold restaurant is located within the very impressive uShaka Marine World - a world class aquarium (and water-activity destination) in Durban. I was a little reluctant to go as I thought it would be too touristy. I am very glad I did!

We had great service all evening. The food was very very good. I had an excellent Beef and Ostrich Carpaccio (the accompanying "salad" really made this meal special). I ordered the "Spanish Inquisition" - a paella type meal - for one. I barely made a dent in this rice-scarce dish - very flavourful. My friends all enjoyed their meals, especially the venison. The kingklip unexpectedly arrived in phyllo pastry and was devoured.

The wine is well-priced and the selection is quite good. While most options target the non-discerning drinker, the more serious wine-lover is sure to find something good at a reasonable price.

The highlight of the evening was eating right along the shark tank itself. The sand-sharks tended to "rest" right next to our table (a bit like my dogs at home!). Quite adorable!

Amanzimtoti, South Africa
“GREAT VIEW OF THE SHARK TANK”
Reviewed 5 May 2013

The service, food, was very good and we had a great waiter serving us. They spolit my mom when they heard it was her birthday. We had a table right next to the shark tank which was a whole new dining experience for us. Loved it. I look forward to going back.

Visited July 2012
Kampala, Uganda
“Dining with a shark”
Reviewed 19 April 2013

The first thing that comes to mind when one receives advise on dinning with a shark, is that such would be a joke! Not for cargo hold at UShaka shopping complex in Durban. Located in an old ship and made out of a redesign of the cargo hold, thus its name "Cargo Hold" restaurant, this is a classic dining place which gives a wonderful experiences of sharks being so clause to you as you savor the meal. Not an aquarium but the antics of sharks swimming, entertaining and classic dives on the side of the sitting area, the ambience so created waters downs the savory meal and gives an exquisite experience. The sea food, squid, lobster and several others spiced up in a traditional Durban style, the experience of a couple of hours sticks as a memorable experience of UShaka and Cargo Hold in Durban

• Visited March 2013