“Honeymoon in a very quiet setting, not too far from the Parks”
Review of Leopard Walk Lodge

Leopard Walk Lodge
Hamilton, Bermuda
“Honeymoon in a very quiet setting, not too far from the Parks”
Reviewed 4 October 2010

We stayed here because they had a honeymoon suite special and were close to Hluhluwe-Umfolozi park. It is about 10-15 minutes out of Hluhluwe town (which is good to buy groceries at or get a quick doctor's appointment, but there's nothing to do in town) and about a 45 minute drive from an entrance to Hluhluwe park. It's about a 75 minute drive to St. Lucia. You can of course stay closer to either of those attractions, but as we wanted to visit both it was quite convenient.

The honeymoon suite room was very pleasant. Big bay windows look out onto bush and also an outdoor whirlpool tub, although you do need to watch the wildlife if you use it. There are a few bucks and zebras on the premises, and the zebras are pretty tame so you can get quite close to them. We both thought the food was quite good.
Every supper had a couple of cooked meats and vegetables, soup and dessert.

We stayed 7 nights. We struggled to find enough to do, visiting Hluhluwe Park and St. Lucia twice and going to a few marginal activities that we probably could have skipped (eg. Duma Zulu cultural village and snake park). The 5 night special is plenty. One thing I would recommend doing, though, is the canoe tour that they offer. A local guide takes you VERY close to a hippo colony.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed 2 September 2010

My new husband and I visited Leopard Walk Lodge as the first stop on our honeymoon. We arrived in the evening (I do not recommend this) and were taken aback at how "out in the bush" this establishment actually is but by morning we had settled into our surroundings quite nicely. I'm a city slicker by nature so this was quite an adjustment for me but once I got over the fact that I was in the bush, I really started to enjoy my stay. It was private and tranquil.

We chose to have dinner at the establishment. The food was rather basic (don't expect hotel cuisine) and overpriced for what was on offer but portions were VERY VERY plentiful. The cook , Zonke, was an absolute delight! I would recommend that guests eat dinner off site if possible. The hosts were very welcome to.

If you are looking to get away from it all and enjoy some peace and quiet away from civilisation, then sure, I'd recommend Leopard Walk Lodge although I would imagine that there are more value for money venues in the area (and less off the beaten track).

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple