“Luxurious but not poncy”
Review of Umkhumbi Lodge

Umkhumbi Lodge
Ranked #3 of 10 Hluhluwe B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 May 2012

What an amazing place to linger for a while. This is one of my all time favourite places in the world to stay and is surrounded by amazing things to do. The location is absolutely beautiful, but the set up of these accomodations is really first rate. There is nothing better than enjoying a cold beer from their patio in the evening, and the food is really quite remarkably good. All served by the loveliest and charming people you could hope to meet.

Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank Joel W
Amangwane, Owner at Umkhumbi Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2012

Hi Joel,
thanks for your review.
Hope you'll be able to come back soon.
Emma

Reviewed 25 April 2012

I stayed over at Umkhumbi with my family and the location and food were excellent. However there is no closet space an some racial tendency in their restaurant. If you are not white, expect to be served last. My family on each occassion had to sit and wait for the family who was white to order and be served their food first, then only where we seen too. Kind of gave me an old feeling of what it must have been like in the old days. That was the only issue and made me feel really bad, otherwise the accommodation is at a good location and the 3 course meals were very uniquely prepared and very nice.

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank AudzT
Amangwane, Owner at Umkhumbi Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2012

Thanks for your review.
We are sorry you felt uncomfortable in our restaurant, however we strongly resent the suggestion that the staff served you last because you were not white. Our staff are professional and courteous to all guests and can only serve one table at a time.
If you had ordered a special meal due to special dietary requrements it may have taken a little longer to prepare.

Reviewed 20 April 2012

I recently had the pleasure of staying at Umkhumbi Lodge and I can say wholeheartedly that this place is something special.
You can have all the big reserves with the 5* luxury or you can come here and feel like you just belong.
Umkhumbi is a family run property and this is apparent from the moment you arrive.Anton and his
team of amazing staff have nailed this in how the place is run and enjoying a drink while watching the most amazing sunset is priceless.
I have been lucky enough to stay in a game reserve on the eastern cape but after my experience at Umkhumbi I cannot wait to go back.

Room Tip: pick one near the bar !!!!!! x
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 April 2012

I am lucky enough to have visited some amazing places in this world - but there is something really special about Umkhumbi Lodge!
It is not the most luxurious hotel in the world, nor does it need to be because this is not about staying in luxury this is like visiting friends and family who care about you and you care about them. And that is something you simply cannot manufacture or buy and also that is why this place is so very special!
It is well situated near Hluhluwe and ideal for the loads of activites nearby at iSamangaliso/St Lucia and Hluhluwe-Umfolozi Reserves and also the Mbonise Cultural Centre. But after a busy day exploring, meeting nature and learning, it is marvellous to wind down and reflect on a busy day by watching the sun go down from elevated bar area with a cold beer in your hand.
The food was superb - I loved every meal that I had here and every single member of the team strived to make my stay as pleasant as possible. The rooms are great, very clean, super bathrooms and all with their own patio/balcony area where you have your morning coffee at one with the wonderful surroundings and animals in the reserve. I would also recommend just spending a day here unwinding with a book and enjoying the calm of the place.
Other reviewers have already commented on returning and this is something that I really want to do as well, there is such a warm feeling about this place that makes you want to return.
If you are visiting South Africa then get yourself to Umkhumbi Lodge and see and feel what I mean.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are just a short walk to the lodge where the bar and restuarant were situated. I s...
Reviewed 14 April 2012

I stayed at Umkhumbi Lodge for 3 nights in March with a group. I thoroughly enjoyed every moment of it. A real family environment not only with personal care and attention but memorable happy moments shared by Anton, Emma and Lacey.
Lodges are spacious with a balcony and a good sized bathroom. A Convenient base to stay with lots of different adventures to explore nearby, from Kayaking, interaction with elephants and cheetahs, visit to crocodile centre, where we saw live how to catch a croc, gorgeous sandy beach with warm waters, a safari in an open top vehicle, outstanding view points for picnics and photo shoot and also you can walk at night around the lodge. It was a welcoming home, every evening after our days out. Breathtaking views from the balcony watching the sun go down, great connection with nature. Delicious home cooked food served. I would highly recommend this lodge as it has so much to offer both in terms of hospitality and diversity. Ideal for everyone, families, groups of friends etc. I would definitely return here.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Amangwane, Owner at Umkhumbi Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2012

We are glad you had such a fantastic time with your group! Your group certainly made the most of the sights of the area!
We look forward to having you back with us!

Reviewed 10 April 2012

Umkhumbi Lodge is an ideal base from which to explore this beautiful part of KZN being easily accesible from both Durban and the new King Shaka Airport (15 mins from the N2 at the Hluhluwe turn off).
Anton, Emma and their friendly and knowledgeable team at Umkhumbi are great at sharing their experiences and helping you to make the most of attractions such as Isimangaliso itself, Hluhluwe Game reserve, elephant interaction (but in an educational rather than circus trick way), cultural visits or just taking it easy in a bush setting.
Very comfortable accomodation, great food, cold beer, a great elevated bar area from which to watch the sun go down over KZN and the warmest welcome around. If you haven't been yet what are you waiting for?

Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Amangwane, Owner at Umkhumbi Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2012

Hi Peter, thank you for such a fantastic review!
We are glad that you enjoyed your KwaZulu Natal Experience so much that you can't wait to come back! Just let us know when and we can make a plan.
We are also currently adding new dishes to our menu - unbelievably the food is now even better so bring loose fitting clothes!
See you soon!

Reviewed 10 March 2012

I don't know if I can say enough about Umkhumbi Lodge.
We contacted Anton 6 weeks before we were set to travel. The response and service we received was friendly, welcoming and provided us with the sense that we were dealing with an owner who takes pride in his business. Anton set up a two week adventure for my husband and I and by the time we began our holidays, it felt like we were coming to visit friends.

Our two week journey included a stop at Amangwane Camp (http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g2324973-d1757664-Reviews-Amangwane_Kosi_Bay-Kosi_Bay_KwaZulu_Natal.html), Jozini Lake, Hlane National Park (Swaziland) and back to Umkhumbi for the remaining 5 days of our trip.
If you are looking for a trip that will give you exposure to many of the amazing things to do in South Africa, this is your place.

The accommodations at Umkhumbi Lodge were top notch. Each chalet/cottage had it's own lappa where you could sit, enjoy the view and spot wildlife. The rooms were spacious and clean.
The food was 5-star. Each night we had a starter, a choice out of two entrees and dessert. You will not leave Umkhumbi hungry, that's for sure.
Our favourite part was the lappa. What a fabulous place to take in the South African sunset while enjoying your choice of beverage (or two, or three....)

There was a real sense of family and belonging at the lodge. I can't stress that enough. By the time our journey ended, we felt like we had known Anton, Emma and all of the staff for years.
I feel that the hospitality that was displayed during our stay has made South Africa our favourite place of travel to date (we have done Eastern Europe, Asia and Central America)
We will definitely be returning to South Africa and DEFINITELY returning to Umkhumbi Lodge.
I cannot imagine that a trip to South Africa would be complete without a stop at Umkhumbi Lodge - you will not regret it.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Amangwane, Owner at Umkhumbi Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2012

Don't worry Steph, you said plenty :)

We can't say how happy we are that you and Adrian enjoyed your time with us so much!
When you said you wanted to experience everything, we did our best.

With the weather you had I'm sure you appreciated the air con aswell!
It is certainly hard to leave even the smallest scrap of food, our waistlines wish Meva wasn't such an amazing Chef sometimes as well.

We feel the same, it was strangely quiet when you guys left - like something was missing. Even Copper-dog sulked for a couple of weeks after looking for you around the property.

We will always be glad to have you stay here again!