“Only regret was that I only had 3 days to stay here...Excellent bush lodge!”
Review of Umkhumbi Lodge

Umkhumbi Lodge
Ranked #3 of 10 Hluhluwe B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I only had 3 days to spare in this area of South Africa before having to go West to work in Kimberley, so I had to make my time count. After poking around and getting advice on where to stay given my interests (photography). Umkhumbi ended up being my choice after talking via email to the owner. It's a fantastic bush lodge, easy to find and situated very close to some really amazing wildlife places to explore.
We visited the Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Reserve (only 30-40 minutes away) and saw a ton of great wildlife very close (elephants, rhinos, giraffe, buffalo etc).
St. Lucia is also only 1-1.5 hours away and you can see tons of birds as well as get up close and personal to hippos and crocs there.
As for the lodge itself, it was exactly what I was looking for. Sizeable room with a nice bathroom, a small balcony outside my bedroom had a nice view of the area behind the lodge. The restaurant and bar has an amazing view and the food served was excellent. Breakfast made to order and some gourmet dinners.
Although I didn't get to see the owner (as he was away on a vacation with his family), the rest of the staff was so accommodating. Lacey and Issi really went above and beyond to help with any specifics I had.
Next year I'm planning on bringing my wife and hope to squeeze in an extra day or 2 so that I can really explore more of the area.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank JasonRothmeyer
Wetland-Park-Group, Owner at Umkhumbi Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2013

Thanks very much for the great review, just sorry we missed you this time, but we look forward to meeting you and your wife when you come again! Emma and Anton

There are newer reviews for Umkhumbi Lodge

Reviewed 4 September 2013

We stayed for almost a week during the Xmas break, And had a fantastic time.

Emma, Anton, Carly and the crew went to great effort to make us feel welcome and help us see some of the highlights of the area (e.g., night-time trip to see turtles laying eggs was a memorable mission).

Accomodation was clean, modern, smart, and very private.

Food was good "family" fare

Treetop bar with hilarious company made for fantastic sundowners.

We will definitely be back next time we are in the area.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Wetland-Park-Group, Owner at Umkhumbi Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2013

We're so glad you had a great stay and enjoyed the food and our company! Thanks so much for reviewing us. Emma

Reviewed 4 September 2013

I absolutely loved my stay at Umkhumbi Lodge. The rooms are beautiful, the view from the bar can be matched by no other, and everyone is so friendly. It feels like home, but with far better weather and amazing animals so close by! The food is delicious, Meva is the best chef ever!
I will definitely be coming back to Umkhumbi Lodge and I think everyone should go :)

Room Tip: Any of them, its amazing
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Rebecca J
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Arriving up the track to Umkhumbi you really feel you are getting away from it all. We loved the seclusion of the place and the fairy-light trail from the cabins to the bar area. Cabins were confy and well appointed and we really appreciated the fact they had heating as well as aircon on such an unseasonably cold night! Staff are all a real asset - friendly and informative. Anton was a very knowledgable and amusing host and his wildlife viewing tips were really helpful - thanks to which we finally saw two of those illusive leopard at Mission Rocks. We also enjoyed our kayak trip with Gareth when we moved on to stay in St Lucia. Food delicious and plentiful. All in all, would wholeheartedly recommend.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Wetland-Park-Group, Owner at Umkhumbi Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2013

So great that you saw the leopards!
Thanks for taking the time to write this review, it's much appreciated. - Emma

Reviewed 10 June 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a 3 night stay at Umkhumbi Lodge. What a lovley place to stay. The hosts Emma & Anton are charming and they go out of their way to make sure that your stay is a memorable one. All the staff that we came into contact with at the lodge were most helpful and pleasant. The rooms are clean and comfortable. We enjoyed the food immensly and on 1 night even got to choose what we wanted for dinner. I must mention the 2 little dogs that are real characters and add a homely charm to the place.

Room Tip: All rooms are good - each little cottage is set in the natural bush so that it is very private.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 February 2013

Once again I had the pleasure of staying with Anton and Emma. This is probably my most favourite places in South Africa. The standard of accommodation is excellent and the food is perfect - nothing pretentious just excellent quality with the right level of service.
I look forward to visiting again in August and I hope the wildlife in iMfolozi is not hiding in the wilderness areas!

Room Tip: They are all of the same high quality
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Wetland-Park-Group, Owner at Umkhumbi Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2013

Thanks for the great review. It was good to see some sunsets with you. Good company, good times. Roll on August...

Reviewed 1 February 2013

My daughter and I enjoyed our too-short visit immensely. Everyone went out of their way to welcome us and see to our creature comforts and accomodate our wildlife viewing interests. We shall be going back for more excellent wildlife times in a most pleasant environment with gracious hosts.

Room Tip: I believe they are all similar - most creatively designed to maximise privacy and comfort.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank ESFM
Wetland-Park-Group, Owner at Umkhumbi Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2013

Thanks very much for your review - it was really good to meet you and hope we'll see you again sometime soon.