“Umkhumbi Lodge is in my heart forever !”
Review of Umkhumbi Lodge

Umkhumbi Lodge
Ranked #3 of 10 Hluhluwe B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I've visited Umkhumbi Lodge this year(2014) in January. It was something unforgetable!!! It is located in a beautiful bush area with lots of gorgeous animals. Spacious , beautiful , clean rooms , delicious meals, bar with a great view from it , friendly and hospitable staff - it really feels like home ! Thank you Anton , Emma and all the crew for such a marvelous time i spent in Umkhumbi Lodge!!! I will definitely come back ! Thank you very much guys !

Room Tip: I was living in one room, and mine was the best for me.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 17 April 2014

Fantastic place, ande the owners and staff are super. Coming back for sure. It's like living in a subtropical environment. You have an excellent path where ypu actually encounter Umkumbi. Dont miss this fantastic place

Room Tip: They are all super
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Stayed there for 3 days in december last year. I love the scenery, smack in the middle of the bush!
The staff are very kind and service minded , as are the owners! The dinner/bar house is beautiful, and the bar on the 2nd floor has an amazing view! I would definitely come back if I'm in South Africa again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 April 2014

My stay at Umkhumbi Lodge was brilliant. Everyone was very welcoming, helpful and polite. The rooms were nicely decorated, very clean and the beds were very comfortable. The bar was well priced and was always a nice place to go in the evening as there is a lovely view and seating area. I am hoping to return to Umkhumbi Lodge in the future.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I only had 3 days to spare in this area of South Africa before having to go West to work in Kimberley, so I had to make my time count. After poking around and getting advice on where to stay given my interests (photography). Umkhumbi ended up being my choice after talking via email to the owner. It's a fantastic bush lodge, easy to find and situated very close to some really amazing wildlife places to explore.
We visited the Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Reserve (only 30-40 minutes away) and saw a ton of great wildlife very close (elephants, rhinos, giraffe, buffalo etc).
St. Lucia is also only 1-1.5 hours away and you can see tons of birds as well as get up close and personal to hippos and crocs there.
As for the lodge itself, it was exactly what I was looking for. Sizeable room with a nice bathroom, a small balcony outside my bedroom had a nice view of the area behind the lodge. The restaurant and bar has an amazing view and the food served was excellent. Breakfast made to order and some gourmet dinners.
Although I didn't get to see the owner (as he was away on a vacation with his family), the rest of the staff was so accommodating. Lacey and Issi really went above and beyond to help with any specifics I had.
Next year I'm planning on bringing my wife and hope to squeeze in an extra day or 2 so that I can really explore more of the area.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank JasonRothmeyer
Wetland-Park-Group, Owner at Umkhumbi Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2013

Thanks very much for the great review, just sorry we missed you this time, but we look forward to meeting you and your wife when you come again! Emma and Anton

Reviewed 4 September 2013

We stayed for almost a week during the Xmas break, And had a fantastic time.

Emma, Anton, Carly and the crew went to great effort to make us feel welcome and help us see some of the highlights of the area (e.g., night-time trip to see turtles laying eggs was a memorable mission).

Accomodation was clean, modern, smart, and very private.

Food was good "family" fare

Treetop bar with hilarious company made for fantastic sundowners.

We will definitely be back next time we are in the area.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Wetland-Park-Group, Owner at Umkhumbi Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2013

We're so glad you had a great stay and enjoyed the food and our company! Thanks so much for reviewing us. Emma

Reviewed 4 September 2013

I absolutely loved my stay at Umkhumbi Lodge. The rooms are beautiful, the view from the bar can be matched by no other, and everyone is so friendly. It feels like home, but with far better weather and amazing animals so close by! The food is delicious, Meva is the best chef ever!
I will definitely be coming back to Umkhumbi Lodge and I think everyone should go :)

Room Tip: Any of them, its amazing
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends