We stayed with friends and our children for 1 night at this hotel to explore Hluhluwe / Umfolozi parks. We stayed on the ground floor in a room with 2 double beds and our friends on the 2nd floor. The ground floor rooms are old and in desperate need of renovations, the closet had no door, we had an old key safe in the closet, the bathroom is outdated and small, rooms are not carpeted, tv is small, kettle and hairdyrer did not work properly.
Our friends stayed on the 2nd floor and their rooms were obviously the renovated versions and alot better. Their tv was the same as ours but the bathroom was much better and there were carpets in the room.
Facilities at the hotel is really good for children with an outdoor pool, trampoline, jungle gym, kids room, jumping castle and paint ball activities. The food at the restaurant was buffet breakfast and dinners and quite expensive esp if you are travelling with small children who will not eat enough for those prices. We were disappointed that there was no room service menu and ended up dining at the Wimpy @ the Engen service station.
Location to the entrance of the park is around 13km - which is ideal when exploring the game reserve. We checked out on the Sunday and we were suprised to see that the hotel charged us for breakfast when we did not eat at the restaurant - so please check your bills carefully.
I will not return to the hotel until it has had a major revamp - the current prices are way to high for the quality of rooms at the hotel. The town has a KFC, Steers and Wimpy fast foods. Around 10 km from the hotel on the N2, there is a Total service station with a Mugg & Bean as well. We ate breakfast there. Much better value for money.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Protea Hotel Hluhluwe & Safaris - Luxury Set in the Heart of The Zulu Kingdom. Rich in natural ambience and with a distinctively African rhythm, Protea Hotel Hluhluwe & Safaris treats guests to luxurious accommodation, tantalising cuisine, and a world-class service with friendly staff who live the motto "hospitality is our game". The Protea Hotel Hluhluwe & Safaris encourages visitors to leave the modern world behind and to embark on a discovery ... The untamed beauty of Kwazulu Natal's Elephant coast and the neighbouring wildlife and marine reserves have created a vibrant eco-system of unrivalled diversity. Soak up the sun at the swimming pool terrace and feel the cultural richness in the evenings whilst sipping on a refreshing sundowner and watching the Zulu dance shows are held beneath the magnificent Umkanyakude (Fever) Tree. At Protea Hotel Hluhluwe & Safaris, you'll discover the wild nature of Africa, rejoice in the luxury and revel in the friendly warmth of one of Africa's most welcoming hotels!Let one of our Guides take you on Game drive adventure to Hluhluwe/Umfolozi park or one of the many interactions and activities The Elephant Coast has to offer . ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Booking.com, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Protea Hotel Hluhluwe & Safaris reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Protea Hotel Hluhluwe And Safaris
- Protea Hotel Hluhluwe & Safaris South Africa - Zululand