Its always disappointing when an establishment relies on its popularity due to nearby attractions, and cannot stand on its own. This has been my experience with most establishments in and around the Hluhluwe over the years. In short the Protea does nothing wrong, but also does not excel in any one area. For all intents and purposes, average, with a high price for average. The rooms with a bit threadbare, and you can see the effect of time, both on the room as well as the Hotel in general. The supper carvery as well as the breakfast were mostly average, bar an exceptional mutton curry, which showed signs of a Durban chef somewhere in the mix. The drinks were a bit overpriced, but again, with establishments in this area little sympathy is given to the South African rand.
In short if you want to go to the reserve, and you cant overnight in the park, then accept the fact you will pay over the top to sleep, be fed and watered. It serves its purpose from this point of view.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Anew Hotel Hluhluwe & Safaris - Luxury Set in the Heart of The Zulu Kingdom. Rich in natural ambience and with a distinctively African rhythm, Protea Hotel Hluhluwe & Safaris treats guests to luxurious accommodation, tantalising cuisine, and a world-class service with friendly staff who live the motto "hospitality is our game". The Protea Hotel Hluhluwe & Safaris encourages visitors to leave the modern world behind and to embark on a discovery ... The untamed beauty of Kwazulu Natal's Elephant coast and the neighbouring wildlife and marine reserves have created a vibrant eco-system of unrivalled diversity. Soak up the sun at the swimming pool terrace and feel the cultural richness in the evenings whilst sipping on a refreshing sundowner and watching the Zulu dance shows are held beneath the magnificent Umkanyakude (Fever) Tree. At Anew Hotel Hluhluwe & Safaris, you'll discover the wild nature of Africa, rejoice in the luxury and revel in the friendly warmth of one of Africa's most welcoming hotels!Let one of our Guides take you on Game drive adventure to Hluhluwe/Umfolozi park or one of the many interactions and activities The Elephant Coast has to offer . ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Anew Hotel Hluhluwe & Safaris reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Protea Hotel Hluhluwe And Safaris
- Anew Hotel Hluhluwe & Safaris South Africa - Zululand