I attended the wedding of friends which was being hosted at the Ubizane Game Reserve.
Booking from overseas took some back and forth as I was unable to transfer my deposit immediately due to issues with the branch code and my bank's interpretation of it - the booking staff were pleasant and accommodating but couldn't help me with my queries and just kept giving me the identical info which was a bit frustrating... I was also able with the help of the bride to book into the Tree lodge rather than the safari lodge which the staff felt would be more suitable for us (they felt the safari lodge was better for a family with a 3 year old).
However once arrived, all was very pleasant and easy. I assume based on some of the other reviews here that we must have stayed in a renovated unit, it had a lovely comfortable four poster bed with draped mosquito net, stylish furniture, reasonable amenities etc. and a stunning view of the forest. It was early winter when we were there and we didn't need the aircon, it was dry, quiet, cool & relaxing. The buffet meals were very good and once again the views and location of the dining area were outstanding. I wish we had time for a dip in the pool.
Despite staff worries about the suitability of the tree lodge for a 3 year old we were fine in the tree lodge, it was not difficult to help/carry our little girl up & down and we even could carry up/down the pram when she was asleep in it. She slept with us so we didn't need another bed. She also loved the room and the view (complete with owl which often swooped out from under the eaves when we entered the room!). We also had access to a babysitter during the wedding ceremony and I would recommend Thembi, she was a lovely lady who made friends with and took very good care of our daughter.
Speaking of wildlife we also strolled past nyala so close we almost touch them just a metre or two off the path. The only animals a bit too close for comfort were the monkeys which were determined to steal the snacks left out at the bar but that was about the worst of it!.
All in all I would call it a proper south african experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set in the cool, whispering tranquility of a fever tree forest, the TreeLodge is a truly special retreat where you will be accommodated in luxurious stilted chalets. Enjoy the quiet lounge, observation deck and a sunny pool area where you might be visited by a family of warthog, a shy Red Duiker or a pair of Purple-crested Loeries. Accommodation at Zululand Tree Lodge consists of thatched chalets raised above the floor on stilts, set in the cool tranquility of a fever tree forest. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA and Booking.com so you can book your Zululand Tree Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Zululand Tree Hotel Hluhluwe
- Zululand Tree Lodge Hluhluwe, South Africa