I stayed at the Planters' Bush Camp with my family, including two young children. Unfortunately I did not feel that the website description accurately described the accommodation. The website says that "this accommodation offers three bedrooms each with two single beds and and en suite shower". However it fails to mention that the bedrooms are in two separate buildings, and all three have separate outside entrances with no internal passages connecting the rooms. This made it very difficult with young children, as they were frightened not to be sleeping cose to their parents. In the end, we put one adult in each room with one of the children, which means that we all had to go to bed at the children's bed-time. Had we known that this was the sleeping arrangement, we would have booked elsewhere. I should mention, however, that this would suit three couples wanting to stay together but maintain their own privacy. It just should be more accurately described on the website.
The other annoyance was that there are no anti-mosquito provisions at all - no gauze on the windows, and no mosquito nets. The camp is in a forest near a river and therefore there are planty of mosquitoes around. When we arrived the windows had been left open and I spent at least half an hour killing mosquitoes in the bedrooms. I counted over 20 in my room alone! Despite sleeping with copious quantities of mosquito repellant, we all had many mosquito bites the next morning, which is not cool in an area that has some malaria risk.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hluhluwe River Lodge is an intimate forest lodge situated far from the hustle and bustle, offering a tranquil environment and relaxed atmosphere. The lodge is ideal for self drive visitors looking for a fully catered restaurant facility and spacious living area. The main lodge has a lounge, expansive terrace and Wifi facilities. Ideal for a family getaway or a couples retreat, our attention to detail and personal touch will make your stay memorable. Upon request, we offer guided walks into False Bay Park which includes forest and lake shore experiences where the focus is on the little details and magic of our greatest asset, the Sand Forest. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, South African Hotels and Booking.com so you can book your Hluhluwe River Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hluhluwe River Hotel Hluhluwe
- Hluhluwe River Lodge South Africa - Zululand