I've just returned from a three day stay at this beautiful lodge with my husband and parents-in-law - all four of us enjoyed every second of our stay. The lodge feels luxurious without being at all over the top. The service impeccable but without being at all obtrusive - every day our bed was made and every evening out amenities replenished and mosquito net put down, but we never saw once saw the staff (elves) doing it. My husband and I decided to opt for one of the honeymoon suites which has a bath tub in the room which opens out onto a private decked area - almost like bathing outside but felt 100% private aside for the company of the occasional monkey, squirrel, bird or gheko. Only downside to this room is no view - something the in-laws enjoyed from their standard room (which was also lovely, but was two beds pushed together rather than a double).
Gavin, Analize and Thami were all wonderful, attentive, knowledgable hosts who made us feel extremely welcome. We would have been happy to stay on longer. With the all inclusive option, you get a game drive included in the price, which is provided by a partner company - our guide was Carl who, again, was a great and extremely knowledgable host.
The food was delicious, prepared by a local chef who was apparently taught how to cook by lodge owner Gavin. We are a mixed group of vegetarians, pescatarians and meat eaters, but they made an effort to make all dishes equally delicious for all of us. We even got given a lovely packed lunch when we decided to go on a last minute mid-day game drive.
On top of all this, gorgeous pet dogs at the lodge, and when the dogs arent around, you can expect an evening visit from a stunning genet cat that lives in the roof of the lodge.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hluhluwe River Lodge is an intimate forest lodge situated far from the hustle and bustle, offering a tranquil environment and relaxed atmosphere. The lodge is ideal for self drive visitors looking for a fully catered restaurant facility and spacious living area. The main lodge has a lounge, expansive terrace and Wifi facilities. Ideal for a family getaway or a couples retreat, our attention to detail and personal touch will make your stay memorable. Upon request, we offer guided walks into False Bay Park which includes forest and lake shore experiences where the focus is on the little details and magic of our greatest asset, the Sand Forest. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Ebookers and Agoda so you can book your Hluhluwe River Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hluhluwe River Hotel Hluhluwe
- Hluhluwe River Lodge South Africa - Zululand