Zulu Nyala's Heritage Safari Lodge was originally built in the 1940's as a hotel between Maputo and Durban. It was acquired in 1996 and may have been renovated but still looks and feels much like a Day's Inn. The private game reserve is small -- no lions on the property -- and our guide "Welcome" seemed more interested in laughing with the other drivers and sticking to his set schedule of picking up and dropping off guests than too much else. We did see animals but felt that 3 days (2 safaris each day) is more than enough for this small reserve. The guide did have his moments when he was informative but these were few and far between. And, it did take time to pick up and drop off guest from the other properties. If we saw animals before getting the other guests, he would often zoom by and say he would find them later. They so have some individual cabins with tents over them that they call "tented room" -- which are so close to one another you have no view whatsoever and feel as if you must keep the curtains drawn in order to have privacy. Food was nothing special. Staff was pleasant. They do charge for laundry and seem to want to nickel and dime for most everything including anything other than tea or coffee at meals. Wi-Fi is available at no charge which is a plus. Flying into Richard's Bay and renting a car was the best thing we did as it's only about an hour and half drive to the property and roads are well marked. Three nights at this place is really more than enough. There were no closets in the room in which we stayed. The bathroom -- although large with two sinks -- seemed outdated. With a car you can do activities they offer at less than half of what they charge. Bayete Zulu offers an elephant interaction and isn't a far drive. Ilala Weavers is a good place to look for gifts and just down the road from this property. Also, you can do a self drive through Hluhluwe Game Reserve -- which is in between Richard's Bay and Zulu Nayla. The gift shop before the entrance to Hluhluwe is one of largest and best in that area -- and reasonable prices.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Heritage Safari Lodge was originally built in the 1940’s as a hotel and was a landmark pit-stop for weary travelers between Maputo and Durban. Acquired in 1996, the gracious building was lovingly restored to its original colonial grandeur, enhanced with new accommodation, and tastefully themed to highlight Zululand’s unique cultural heritage.With buffet-style meals in our restaurant, the wide, welcoming veranda and our ‘human watering hole’ - the pub or thatched boma, warm and relaxing atmosphere is conducive to shared good times and conviviality. The sparkling pool is always inviting, and you’re sure to enjoy browsing our beautifully stocked curio shop for a few authentic African mementos. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA so you can book your Zulu Nyala Heritage Safari Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Zulu Nyala Heritage Safari Hotel Hluhluwe
- Zulu Nyala Heritage Safari Lodge Hluhluwe, South Africa - Zululand