We stayed here for two nights as part of a Trailfinders fly-drive tour of KZN, this was our first time at Imvubu. We were disappointed by three things:
- the poor service from the majority but not all of the staff
- the poor standard of the accommodation
- the rather limited options at Richard's Bay.
On the service, it started poorly. When we checked in we asked if there were any maps of the local area, after a 10 minute hunt an out of date map from 2010 was found, the lady on reception seemed unfamiliar with the area and was unable to direct us to anywhere 'off campus'. There were lots of leaflets and literature for other Protea hotels. When we found our lodge it was still being cleaned and we were asked to return in an hour. When we returned we struggled to locate the ‘car port’ that was allocated to the chalet, four calls to reception and security later we were told that it was the area next to our chalet and that there was no car port? The poor service continued when we attempted to borrow a travel adapter, which were present in all our other places of accommodation; this again took several phone calls before help was actually offered, and then rather reluctantly. The check-out process was also rather shambolic with it being unclear when we left if they had or had not successfully charged my credit card and them being unable to give me a copy of my bill. They promised to email this on within the hour which of course did not happen. After emailing to chase, a pdf with no accompanying content or apology in the email was received.
The service was however, not all bad and the meal and service we had in the resorts ‘Reeds’ restaurant was excellent and good natured. The service problems were largely isolated to the reception staff who seemed very young, poorly trained and somewhat out of their depth.
Regarding the accommodation we stayed in a two bedroom ‘deluxe’ lodge; it was anything but. As another reviewer has noted the pictures from their online materials do not reflect what one receives and we too were disappointed to find a rather shabby and dated pine-clad lodge. The setting was pleasant and quiet but the lodge itself was in need of significant updating; there was not a single window where the wire netting mosquito screens was unbroken. The shower tray was also badly marked and there was a general sense of being in ‘school trip’ accommodation.
Finally with regards Richard’s Bay, there is little to recommend it other than as a base to the surrounding area. The water-front development has a few quite lively bars and restaurants which were okay and provided alternatives to the ‘Reeds; a taxi there from Imvubu costs in the region of R60.
We spent our time in St Lucia, and would opt for this as a base in the area for future trips.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Imvubu Lodge is Your Place in Nature. Imvubu Lodge is conveniently situated with Private Access to a golden beach of the Indian Ocean. While nesting within lush indigenous surroundings, filled with an abundance of birdlife, this location offers the exhilaration of holidaying in an idyllic part of the world, while being only mere minutes away from the Richards Bay Airport and the growing hub of Richards Bay. With a variety of unique luxury, stand alone, fully serviced chalets, GUESTS of Imvubu Lodge have the advantage of being able to select either a Self Catering option or enjoy the luxury of being catered for at the onsite 'In the Reeds' restaurant. Offering an exceptional standard of cuisine that is sure to satisfy any taste bud, enjoy the picturesque view of our resident Fish Eagle taking fish out of Lake Menywa. Enjoy the magnificent 'Sun Downer Deck' offering pub like meals, with a 180 degree sea view, or just relax and have an ice cold beverage from the 'Sun Downer Bar', while the rest of the world rushes by. Imvubu Lodge offers world class, state of the art business and conferencing facilities ensuring that the business man is able to get the work done even while relaxing in these natural surroundings. In addition to all of this, we offer 24 Hour security, parking at your private chalets, friendly and efficient staff to assist with any of your queries; Imvubu Lodge welcomes all GUESTS be it for Business of Pleasure. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, Ebookers, TripOnline SA and Cancelon so you can book your Imvubu Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Protea Hotel Imvubu Richards Bay